UPDATE...I bought DVC!!!!: advice please..these CR stories are hurting my head!!

lisaviolet

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I've spent years dreaming of DVC...years.....no moulah!!!!

Now we are in the position to possibly buy up to 150 points without financing(SSR with Disney for 150 or resale for a smaller contract...still undecided) Either choice.....I am so excited and very fortunate that this day has come.

Very small dilemma....very small. My dream would be CR and the possibility of CR happening is getting stronger...

Wait it out for six months to a year to see about CR. I mean we've waited this long. Or buy small resale now and wait it out for add-on or just buy points we want now at SSR b/c CR might never happen. Insights? Opinions?

Thanks.

I'd wait it out another six months. The price has just gone up so it probably won't again for at least a year. In 6 months there may be more information about whether a DVC at CR is going to happen. Meanwhile, you could rent points. If it turns out the rumors are true, they'll probably sell out quickly -- I know we'll be buying.

Thanks for the advice.

Since I wrote the first post today I was over on another board where a poster was simply writing a trip report for CR/POP stay and she mentioned that some CMs at CR are saying DVC is coming there.

So who knows. But it is certainly picking up speed.

I am a hypocrite b/c as I was dreaming of this day all these years I never cared about "buy where you want to stay". (mainly b/c I am not a big planner). But I would love the option of planning to stay at CR with the 11 months sometimes. How quickly we change!!!!!! It isn't even the monorail or MK view for me. It's the back....WL/FW/CR triangle. Love that area.

CRV is still just a rumor. If you have the $$$ to buy in now, consider that prices will only go up over time. If you buy now, then if and when CRV is announced you could use your existing points to book at the 7-month window or you could then do an addon at CRV. Or you could sell your current points and buy resale at CRV for less than Disney is selling it for. Just keep in mind that many times where there is smoke there's fire ( so CRV could turn out to be a reality ) but sometimes it isn't even smoke, in which case CRV might never be built.

By the way, nobody is a bigger proponent for the "buy where you most want to stay" theory than I am, but that more or less applies to places where you can actually buy.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Good points. I had a good laugh with your "places that you can actually buy points". I have thought that many times. It doesn't exist Lisa. Hence "my head hurts" !!!!!!

I had already made a decision....phoned DVC on Thursday ...didn't get a return call yet...and in the meantime got online and saw the Insider's thoughts on the CR plans. And began thinking.....

The only concern with the add-on in the future is that I only want to have a maximum of 150 points in the end. Although I can afford to buy it w//o financing I can't afford large dues (Cdn. exchange as well) So if I buy 150 SSR from Disney.....no CR points if it ever comes. Unless I sell the SSR.

I know there is always 7 month to book if it comes but the rumour is that it will be a small DVC.

So to factor in the add-on I would have to buy a small resale now. And how small???

I know I am hurting my own head!!!! Thanks.

lisaviolet, it sounds like CRV would be ideal for you. Of course you know if you go ahead and buy SSR or some other resale now, CRV will definitely be announced soon after. And if you don't buy now, it probably won't ever be announced. Isn't that how it always seems to work? I wish you good luck and hope it works out for you!

Ok even if(big if) DVC @ CR does happen, how long b4 it is actually open for visits?

Anewman said:
Ok even if(big if) DVC @ CR does happen, how long b4 it is actually open for visits?

That depends on when they start demolition and rebuilding, etc... I believe they have to announce that CRV is coming and then sell 50% interest before they proceed with construction. So probably about a year after it's announced? *Just a guess*

Oh, and right now DVC has a few rumored new locations including CR and somewhere around DL.

No one will know for sure until the press release.

To the OP, I might would recommend a small purchase, maybe 50-100 pt range. Then if/when CR becomes a reality, you can do add-ons there. If you then add-on 150 pts at CRV, you could sell the other contract. Also, if you did happen to get more than 150 pts, you could rent some of the points you wouldn't use in order to help pay for some of the MN fees. If you paid the MN fees monthly on 150 pts at SSR, you'd be looking at around $48/mo. About $64 for 200 pts.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You guys are really helping. Thanks.

Good point with how long it would take for it to be actually to be built and taking reservations.

I guess it is because we have waited so long.....I am okay with that....more waiting. Buying if it comes and waiting to actually stay at this fictional resort!!!!!! It is like it's its own entity at this point, eh?

And I will probably buy a small contract if I see a good one. I should phone to have a better chance of that, eh?

So maybe I'll put a deadline on it...wait six months and see if there is any concrete evidence and go from there. There is always SSR available on resale at that point.

I am sure that I would be able to get SSR at that point around the same price as Disney is selling it for now. True?

I have a good chuckle that if my guide actually phoned back he would have probably had an easy sale after months of my research/questions on these boards. He used to say "what the heck are you two doing down here again without buying DVC"? We'd tell the booth promoters we aren't a good sell, can't swing it, but they would talk us into the tour anyway. But having the cash for Value resorts doesn't mean you have the money for DVC. And I didn't want DVC purchase/fees to be a burden.

Life is funny.

Thanks guys.

FWIW, for VWL, BCV, and SSR, construction time was about 2 years each from announcement to opening (with construction starting shortly after announcement).

IF it's ever built, I wouldn't count on it being open before sometime in 2008 at the earliest, and that would be an optimistic guess.

just a thought - buy a resale at VWL or BCV, and maybe BWV, they are small compared to OKW and SSR, theywould sell eaiser if CR does happen and you want to buy. I would not buy OKW, SSR, VB or HH with the intent to sell and buy CR

jarestel said:
CRV is still just a rumor. If you have the $$$ to buy in now, consider that prices will only go up over time.

I agree.

Besides, in the CR, we're talking about a complete unknown with the possible exception of the location and room design. You have no idea what the point costs might be, maintenance fees, room decor, resort amenities (additional pool facilities), etc. If it comes into being, it may end up being a situation where you are kicking yourself for waiting for a resort that really doesn't meet your expectations in one way or another.

Also note that it won't happen overnight. SSR was almost 3 years in development, and it was only in the last 9 months before opening that points were offered for sale. Realistically, 2008 is the absolute earliest that anyone will be staying in CR villas, and I don't see points offered for sale much earlier than that. Say what you will about demand, I think it would be very poor form for DVC to sell something too far in advance of its opening. And, by delaying sales, they can allow organic price increases to drive up their asking price without giving the impression of a huge bump tied to the offering of the resort.

I think you're easily looking at $10 more per point than today's prices, and a totally unknown point schedule (i.e. a 1B at CR may cost 20% more points than a room at BCV, making it an even more costly investment for owners.)

EDIT: Sorry for repeating many others' comments. Teach me not to read the entire thread first. ;)

I also do not think Disney would start selling a new on-site DVC until SSR is closer to selling out. I agree with one of the previous posters that a VWL resale might be your best option. That way, even if CRV doesn't come to pass, you are still in that same area of WDW, and at a very desireable small DVC resort.

Dear Lisaviolet,

Take a deep breath in - exhale - good girl. At this moment in time, you have the opportunity and power (and money) to achieve a life long dream - take it - don't compromise yourself, pick your FAVORITE resort that is available NOW - and love and enjoy your choice for the rest of your life.

Life is much to short to take chances with fate. Let me make it clearer for you - how goes it feel that I'm the first to say to you "Congratulations and a very sincere "Welcome Home!" Quiet your noisy brain and listen to the wisdom of your heart - go for it!

Best wishes,
Dave

ClarabelleCow said:
just a thought - buy a resale at VWL or BCV, and maybe BWV, they are small compared to OKW and SSR, theywould sell eaiser if CR does happen and you want to buy. I would not buy OKW, SSR, VB or HH with the intent to sell and buy CR

Since the OP was talking about buying smaller contracts via resale, I would disagree with not buying at OKW or SSR. VWL, BCV and BWV are some of the most expensive to buy on resale, especially smaller contracts. You are likely to spend more in the end than you would if you bought direct thru DVC at $92pp. Smaller contracts typically sell pretty quick regardless of where they are. To get resale at OKW, you'd have the lowest MN fees of all the resorts. If you got resale at SSR, you'd have the 12 more years... (which will make it more appealing a few years down the road.

Oh Dave,

Are you saying I am not a relaxed, calm and peaceful person? :rotfl:

I just had sushi for breakfast....you don't want me to meditate too, do ya?

Thanks everyone. I will buy now....somewhere.

Dear Lisaviolet,

I'm sure your a totally calm and relaxed person - that's how I KNOW YOU CAN capture your dream of a lifetime and simply allow the magic to happen!

And I'm certainly not suggesting you meditate - I think you should do even better than that - I'm suggesting you should walk on air - because that's what's gonna happen when you finally call and join DVC.

I wish I could hear your voice after it happens! Go for it - Welcome home!

Sincere best wishes again,
Dave

Been a DVCer since 1997.

Have lived through rumors of a DVC at Eagle Pines Golf Course & CR for all of those years now.

Meanwhile, they're not built yet, right???? ;)

I would say buy now, pick one of the resorts that you like now. If it's SSR, you buy through Disney. If it's one of the others, Disney may have some contracts (from ROFR) or you go through the resale market.

Remember, if they do build at CR someday, you should still eb able to use your points there. I bought at OKW and have stayed at all the DVC properties except SSR.

My personality: calm....no. Relaxed.....rarely. Peaceful..never......hmmmm yes on a road trip!!! Especially WV on the way to WDW.

I have had some good laughs. I almost dropped my computer when Dave said, "you need to quiet your noisy brain". Why, yes I do! Quiet is a pipedream....it's a village in there.....but lessen the chatter I can do.

I thank all of you. All of your comments have helped. When someone mentioned to buy VWL ...I thought good advice why aren't doing that Lisa? That place is heaven to you. Oh yeah...I love that area but my partner would rather have a week at ASMu than a month at VWL. I honestly forgot her aversion for a moment. Compromising is so tiring!! So I have to make us both happy......unfortunately!!!!!!! ;)

You are all following my Canadian sarcasm I hope!

I have decided that SSR is my first choice. I wish it was more remote (a la VWL) but time will mean more landscaping. I like to feel away from the real world. And I will be a DVC member and I love them all. Somewhere through the brain chatter I forgot that seeing DTD is on par with seeing the castle for most. And that I could live at 8 trax. And that we once (once I do have fun at the parks) went to WDW and woke up every morning and said, "Parks?"....."Nah..not today" for ten days. So easy access to parks is not as important to us as it is to most. And the OKW/SSR/POR area is a close second for us to the back of the CR.

Thanks for all of your best wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter