Update: Magic Key Holder Settlement Reached, Plus Rumor: Renewal for Magic Key Holders Tomorrow?

DLandgirlie

Mouseketeer
Full Article: https://www.latimes.com/california/...in-lawsuit-over-magic-key-annual-pass-program

" Disneyland has reached a class-wide settlement in a federal lawsuit accusing the entertainment giant of deceiving people who bought top-tier yearly passes thinking they would get unlimited access to the park only to find that they were blocked in favor of daily-pass purchasers.

Notice of the agreement between Disney and self-described Disney enthusiast Jenale Nielsen — who brought the suit on behalf of all Dream Key pass holders — was filed in U.S. District Court last week, but the parties have until the end of next month to hash out the details of a preliminary agreement and formally ask the court to approve it.

“We are satisfied that this matter has been resolved,” Disney officials said in a statement emailed to The Times late Monday. They did not provide answers to questions about the proposed terms or the dollar amount of the settlement. Attorneys for Nielsen did not respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit accused the media giant of breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and unfair competition, and asked that the company be made to pay back pass holders and stop its “deceptive business practices.”

The company denied those allegations, saying its messaging was laid out on the website. "

I was watching Mondo Five Fires and he mentioned renewals for Magic Key holders may start tomorrow. Which means possible price increase. I've been an Annual Pass Holder in the past, but this is my first Magic Key. Because pass purchases are of limited quantity/availability, I'm not used to renewing based on availability. If renewal happens tomorrow, that doesn't change the expiration for 2024, correct?

Update on Settlement per CNN:
source
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/08/business/disney-magic-key-pass-lawsuit/index.html

"The settlement will likely translate to a $67.41 check for each member of the class-action suit, according to the filing.

A judge will now have to give preliminary approval to the agreed-upon settlement and will then assess the terms of the deal before giving a final sign-off, according to David Marcus, a professor of law at the University of California, Los Angeles.

A statement attributed to Disneyland officials said they “are satisfied that this matter has been resolved.”

The attorneys representing affected Magic Key pass-holders did not immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment."

Last edited:
I was watching Mondo Five Fires and he mentioned renewals for Magic Key holders may start tomorrow. Which means possible price increase. I've been an Annual Pass Holder in the past, but this is my first Magic Key. Because pass purchases are of limited quantity/availability, I'm not used to renewing based on availability. If renewal happens tomorrow, that doesn't change the expiration for 2024, correct?
I'm not sure what you mean - renewals have always been available - they've never disabled that. You just have to renew within the 30-day window before your expiration date. (You can't do it before that.) When you renew, it just adds another year to your existing expiration date.

Available passes:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/?viewType=compare

Link to renew (if you're within the 30-day window):
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/renew/

The only thing that's been limited recently has been new passes (Believe, Enchant, Imagine).

Maybe they mean that those passes might become available again to new buyers?

I'm not expecting a price increase right away for MKs given the way Disney is starting to discount other stuff especially over at WDW. DVC announced a 20% off VIP tours at wdw today for August 15 through the end of September.

But as noted above since they started the renewal program process last summer it hasn't had any changes.

I'm not sure what you mean - renewals have always been available - they've never disabled that. You just have to renew within the 30-day window before your expiration date. (You can't do it before that.) When you renew, it just adds another year to your existing expiration date.

Available passes:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/?viewType=compare

Link to renew (if you're within the 30-day window):
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/renew/

The only thing that's been limited recently has been new passes (Believe, Enchant, Imagine).

Maybe they mean that those passes might become available again to new buyers?
Yeah I'm not sure what he's talking about.

How you explained it, is how I originally understood renewals.

Unless, Dream key holders weren't allowed to renew prior to the settlement?

Nonetheless, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I had a dream key the first year and when I renewed last august I renewed to the inspire because dream was not being offered.

People that had a Dream Key couldn't renew to a Dream Key when they were eligible to renew. They had to choose either the Inspire Key or any of the other lower tier of keys.

As long as you are within 30 days of your experation date, then renewals have been allowed on all Magic Key tiers (except Dream Keys) since August of last year.

Five fires likely encountered a bug in the renewal system/website.

My understanding is that details of the settlement are supposed to be released tomorrow (7/27).

didnt they say August 30th? did i read that wrong?

Sorry, let me clarify. There is a Disney blogger/website that I feel is reliable who said about a week ago that they (meaning themself) would be releasing details tomorrow. I assumed that was because the courts would be releasing the details then and this person would be posting them. Maybe this person was jumping the gun or maybe the date has changed, IDK.

Sorry, let me clarify. There is a Disney blogger/website that I feel is reliable who said about a week ago that they (meaning themself) would be releasing details tomorrow. I assumed that was because the courts would be releasing the details then and this person would be posting them. Maybe this person was jumping the gun or maybe the date has changed, IDK.
gotcha, thanks! I didnt have the highest MK last year so I assumed I'd be out of luck on this but maybe all MK holders are a part

I was looking up blockout dates for another thread and noticed that the Dream Key was listed. Has it always been there?

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates
It’s always been there. If someone bought a dream mk before they stopped selling them they had a year to activate it. You’ll see on the blockout calendar if you click on it once a certain month hits every day after that is blocked.

I was looking up blockout dates for another thread and noticed that the Dream Key was listed. Has it always been there?

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates

I think it has to be there until whenever the last one expires. I don't remember how long people had to activate their Dream Keys when they bought them, but it was probably at least a year. Then you have to add on the year that they are active if someone decided to hold onto it and wait to activate on the absolute last day. They first sold Dream Keys in August of 2021.

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm behind the times. Are there no annual passes anymore? Did Magic Keys replace them?

If Renewals do start tomorrow, does that mean Key sales for new customers are right around the corner? I'm checking sources every day in the hopes that I'll be able to get an Enchant Key.

If Renewals do start tomorrow, does that mean Key sales for new customers are right around the corner? I'm checking sources every day in the hopes that I'll be able to get an Enchant Key.
Renewals never stopped. If you have a Magic Key you have always been able to renew starting at 30 days before expiration. I really don’t know what the vlogger was talking about honestly. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Renewals never stopped. If you have a Magic Key you have always been able to renew starting at 30 days before expiration. I really don’t know what the vlogger was talking about honestly. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Last year was unique in that they didn’t allow the first batch of renewals until early august for those with 8/25 as the expiration date, but since then renewals have continued as normal

Last year was unique in that they didn’t allow the first batch of renewals until early august for those with 8/25 as the expiration date, but since then renewals have continued as normal
That’s right, they did delay that announcement of renewals. But that only affected the people who bought Magic Keys in the very first month right? And then they were able to renew … as well as all Magic Key holders going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter