Update on Disney Magic - Sailed 6/5 - 6/10

Cheburashka

Momketeer
I just disembarked from a 5-night sailing on the Disney Magic. Given the conflicting reports from post-dry dock cruisers, I thought I would share my takeaways from the cruise. This was my 10th DCL cruise, and my 4th on the Magic, so I have a seasoned perspective on what to expect from a Disney Magic cruise.

Pros:
  • The Magic is a beautiful ship in good condition. If you sailed her right now with no prior information about the post dry-dock issues, you wouldn't guess that those issues had occurred.
  • The air conditioning works normally throughout the ship. Deck 3 was very warm during boarding, but that's because the door was open all afternoon in June in Miami. The other floors were fine at this time and deck 3 was fine the rest of the cruise. Temperatures in staterooms are completely normal (you can have cold AC if you want) and you can adjust the stateroom temperatures as you want them as usual.
  • My MDR service and food were good- the expected quality for DCL. Service was caring and engaging, and this was a relief for me, because the service I had in the MDR on the Dream in January had been poor. The shows at Animator's Palate and Rapunzel's Royal Table were spirited and fun. The entertainers at the latter were very engaging when they stopped by every table during dinner.
  • The food and service at Cabanas, the pool deck, room service, Palo and MDR breakfasts & lunches is at the same DCL standard as always.
  • The service throughout the ship and on Castaway Cay was good- the expected DCL quality.
  • Public areas and bathrooms were kept very clean as always.
  • The theatre shows were Tangled, Twice Charmed and Disney Dreams. Tangled and Twice Charmed were great. Disney Dreams was marred by technical difficulties, but was otherwise good.
  • I got the 25th anniversary print on the second day (no reminders to Guest Services required) and it's very nice.
  • The pool decks were in good, normal condition. Twist & Shout is a great waterslide- hint, there is no wait for it during the last hour it is open each day. Aqua Dunk looked good, but I don't like drop-down slides so I stayed off of it. I've ridden it on a prior cruise and that was enough for me. The adult pool deck hot tubs are very nice, as always.
  • The atrium looks beautiful, with the statue and chandelier in good repair. I'm not one to analyze the quality of a carpet, but I didn't notice any glaring problems with carpeting anywhere onboard. It looked normal to me.
  • The spa and gym were in good, normal condition.
  • Soul Cat Lounge is an attractive space and was well-utilized for family activities (crafts and trivia) during the cruise.
  • Many people decorated their doors and participated in Fish Extenders, which imo makes for a fun atmosphere.
  • There were 2 fireworks shows: 25th anniversary and Pirate Night. I could see these from my stateroom window.
  • There were lots of great photo opportunities with characters, and against backdrops, as always.
  • I saw a full crew painting the top front portion of the ship (not sure what it's called) while I was working out at the gym while the ship was docked at Cozumel. They're obviously working hard to keep the Magic looking beautiful, and plan to maintain her for years to come.
  • The muster drill was prompt and over mercifully quickly (everyone in each stateroom has to attend, btw).
  • Touchscreen elevator buttons generally worked well. Once I pressed a number that was nonresponsive- that was only one time out of a lot of elevator rides, so overall it worked just fine. No excessive stopping on non-selected floors, so that isn't an issue.
Cons:
  • I didn't get my Castaway Club gifts (lanyard, dry bag and wet bag) automatically upon my arrival to the stateroom. I had to call Guest Services and tell them they hadn't been laid out. They then arrived later that day.
  • Every day of this cruise, they were painting the edging of the entire length of the promenade on both sides of the ship. The promenade was still available, but portions of it always reeked of paint fumes due to the active painting, which made for unpleasant portions of your walk if you're the type who likes to walk or jog laps around the promenade, or just lounge there. They probably finished this by the end of my cruise, because they were working on it every day. That's something I wish they had done during dry dock.
  • I experienced being very slightly dripped on twice: once outside the deck 4 aft elevator, and the other also near an elevator, but I didn't note which one. Each time, it was only a single drop of water, and I couldn't see the leak. I never smelled any moldy odors onboard, btw.
  • This one is just a typical post-Covid cruise issue: there is still no officers' pin trading event. Such a downer as the DIY pin trading boards always only had the cheap-looking pins that nobody really wants. Bring it back, DCL!
  • My stateroom was attractive and clean. I have to list this under cons, though, because it was a bad stateroom overall: noisy throughout the cruise, with a noticeable dent in the mattress, and it smelled bad upon my initial arrival. Maintenance was prompt and caring and worked to quickly remediate the odor issue.
  • Every morning for a short time, there would be an odor of fumes in the stateroom, like paint thinner. Then it would go away. I don't know how that worked, but it happened each morning, fortunately not lasting long. I wonder if it was somehow related to the painting that was being done outside of the ship.
  • The TV in my stateroom had problems throughout the cruise, with the Disney on Demand movies blacking out at least once every day. They taught me how to reboot the TV, which I had to do daily, and sometimes multiple times per day.
  • Bottom line: avoid stateroom 2598 on the Magic class, and probably also the staterooms around it. Even without the odor/mattress/TV issues, it's a loud area, especially at night. It's right over the engine and under a restaurant galley.

I booked this cruise OGT, so I got a very good rate for it, about half of what it would have cost without the discount. If I had paid full price, I would have been incensed about my stateroom issues, but as it was, I was philosophical once the initial odor issue was taken care of. The cruise was just about worth what I paid for it, especially since I lucked into a cabana on Serenity Bay, which was the highlight of my cruise.

One other fyi: Before this cruise I had asked about taking DCL transfers vs. taxis as a solo cruiser, and was told they were about the same price. This is untrue, as taxis now cost a little over $50 each way after a 15% tip, and this was without any heavy traffic. There are no more flat rates for this route- only meter. DCL transfers are much cheaper than taxis for solo guests sailing out of Miami.

Last edited:
My wow reaction was in regards to the taxi price. Did you go from the airport? I thought it was a flat rate of about $25-30 for that. It was definitely in that range the last time I sailed out of Miami.

Glad you had a good cruise and that a lot of the reported issues seem to be fixed.

My wow reaction was in regards to the taxi price. Did you go from the airport? I thought it was a flat rate of about $25-30 for that. It was definitely in that range the last time I sailed out of Miami.

Glad you had a good cruise and that a lot of the reported issues seem to be fixed.
Yes, taxi to and from the Miami airport. No flat rate- meter only.

Great review. Thanks. I am shocked by the taxi price as well. We went from the port to MIA and had 2 people plus luggage and it was a flat rate. This was last year. It was about $27 if I can remember correctly.

MJ

I just disembarked from a 5-night sailing on the Disney Magic. Given the conflicting reports from post-dry dock cruisers, I thought I would share my takeaways from the cruise. This was my 10th DCL cruise, and my 4th on the Magic, so I have a seasoned perspective on what to expect from a Disney Magic cruise.
Thankyou so very much for taking the time to type up this report! It makes me feel so much better to know that the earlier reported issues seem to have been all mostly resolved! We cruise next week, so it is nice to be going in with this peace of mind. ❤️

I ordered a car service for 6 people in Miami, while it didn't go as smooth as I hoped, I paid way less per person than a taxi. Makes me feel a little better with the splurge. I'll add that traffic in Miami was a nightmare and all the construction around the port just adds to the chaos.

Great review. Thanks. I am shocked by the taxi price as well. We went from the port to MIA and had 2 people plus luggage and it was a flat rate. This was last year. It was about $27 if I can remember correctly.

MJ
They suspended the flat rate service within the last year. It is a little disappointing, because obviously the rate is now much higher.

• Throughout this cruise, they were painting some edging of the promenade. The promenade was still available, but portions of it reeked of paint fumes due to the active painting, which made for unpleasant portions of your walk if you're the type who likes to walk or jog laps around the promenade, or just lounge there. They probably finished this by the end of my cruise. That's something I wish they had done during dry dock.
I have never been on a cruise on any ship where they weren't painting something during the cruise. That's just ongoing upkeep. That includes the Sovereign of the Sea which was only 6 months old when we sailed on her.

They suspended the flat rate service within the last year. It is a little disappointing, because obviously the rate is now much higher.
Well that sucks. I haven’t been out of Miami since COVID but $50 is crazy for that short trip from the airport.

I have never been on a cruise on any ship where they weren't painting something during the cruise. That's just ongoing upkeep.
I've been on 10 cruises and haven't experienced one public area (in this case, promenade) being painted every day throughout the entire cruise. You could never go out there without encountering fumes- I went every day. It wasn't touch-up painting- it was a whole repainting.

If it keeps guests from being able to enjoy the area comfortably throughout the whole cruise, it should be done in dry dock imo.

I've been on 10 cruises and haven't experienced one public area (in this case, promenade) being painted every day throughout the entire cruise. You could never go out there without encountering fumes- I went every day. It wasn't touch-up painting- it was a whole repainting.

If it keeps guests from being able to enjoy the area comfortably throughout the whole cruise, it should be done in dry dock imo.
When we were on the Magic they were replacing warped sections of decking on the pool deck....one small section at a time the entire cruise. Strong smell for varnish.
On another cruise they were sanding and revarnishing all the railing on one deck.
And on another we got a note asking if they could shampoo the carpets in our stateroom at a certain time. It was a port day, and we had and excursion then, which I suspect is why they picked that time and day.

Just like the Navy vessels, chipping and repainting needs to be done on a regular (daily basis) or you would have a bucket of rust. Salty sea water is not nice to steel. or even the teak hand rails for that matter.
Like I said, a bit here and a bit there is one thing. Completely repainting the entire promenade edging, which took at least the whole 5 days of the cruise, since they were out there every day, is another thing that is best suited to dry dock.

It sounds like a lovely cruise. Can I please ask which days where each of your firework shows? How long did they last? Thank you

It sounds like a lovely cruise. Can I please ask which days where each of your firework shows? How long did they last? Thank you
It was a 5-night cruise, with the 25th anniversary fireworks taking place on the 2nd night, I believe, and the Pirate Night fireworks definitely taking place on the 4th night.

Sailing the Magic in September-so every one of these posts about the Magic makes me feel a little better! Thank you for your thorough review/post!

Thank you for sharing. We're sailing the Magic next summer - a long time away, I know - but it's nice to read an overall positive review. We've only sailed on the Dream and the Wish, but booked the Magic because it's going to Lighthouse Point. We are pretty go-with-the-flow types, so I expect we will enjoy our cruise. :) But also glad we booked deck 7 after hearing your report of your deck 2 stateroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter