• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*UPDATE POST 69* Medication no longer covered on insurance formulary

Canada is very limited on what they use for ADHD so it is unlikely you will find it through a Canadian drug company. State insurance plans and a lot of insurance companies are no longer covering ADHD meds either. Here are two websites to check out Goodrx.com can give you pricing at pharmacies near you. It might be a bit off so call and double check. Also needymeds.com has a search engine where you put in the med and it will tell you what programs are available and take you to the paperwork through the manufacturer to try and get discount coupons and such. You may have to get child psychologist to see your child and explain the situation to fight it with the insurance company and make them listen since you have a new GP that isn't totally comfortable with the mental health meds it sounds like. A child psychologist might be what the insurance company expects you to see to prove need. Good luck I have helped others in the same situation over the last several years with ADHD meds.

Edited to add I just checked goodrx and at Walgreens near me Concerta 36mg is $105 for 30 pills. Highest price is Rite-aid at $223.00. HTH

Last edited:
Canada is very limited on what they use for ADHD so it is unlikely you will find it through a Canadian drug company. State insurance plans and a lot of insurance companies are no longer covering ADHD meds either. Here are two websites to check out Goodrx.com can give you pricing at pharmacies near you. It might be a bit off so call and double check. Also needymeds.com has a search engine where you put in the med and it will tell you what programs are available and take you to the paperwork through the manufacturer to try and get discount coupons and such. You may have to get child psychologist to see your child and explain the situation to fight it with the insurance company and make them listen since you have a new GP that isn't totally comfortable with the mental health meds it sounds like. A child psychologist might be what the insurance company expects you to see to prove need. Good luck I have helped others in the same situation over the last several years with ADHD meds.

Edited to add I just checked goodrx and at Walgreens near me Concerta 36mg is $105 for 30 pills. Highest price is Rite-aid at $223.00. HTH

I was going to come on here and ask if anyone had experience with GoodRx. If they are just quoting the price of the meds at Walgreens, what I am getting for a quote (also around $104) is wrong. We fill our prescription there every month and it's way more than that. Maybe that is some sort of discount they give with GoodRx though. I called the pharmacy and they need to run the prescription with GoodRx to see what it will cost, so I will try this once I have the prescription for the next refill in hand.

Bummer about Canada. Thought that that could be a backup plan at least.

The new ped. isn't uncomfortable with the meds, but she really doesn't know my kids. Her partner left fairly abruptly, and she ended up with some of his patient load in addition to her own. I'll certainly ask her to appeal, but I'm not hopeful she'll pursue it like our lifelong ped would have, KWIM?

But not typically for "controlled" substances.
Did not know that, but no harm in asking. My mom was an RN and she made it to age 80 before needing any medication and she always asked for free samples rather than buy a 30 day supply to "see if it worked".

Google Canadian pharmacies and at least give a few a call for a quote. I find it hard to believe a medication for a fairly common illness like ADHD would flat out be unavailable. If on the off chance they don't have it, ask them if they know the number of a Canadian pharmacy that does have it that can ship it. I'm fairly sure the answer will be yes.

As a PP post shared, if you haven't already have your doctor become your advocate stating the child needs to take this medication. We had ours send over several letters to the insurance. Now strangely, our insurance will only allow us to pay for name brand ADHD medication. For the generic, it would cost us $187 per month! For name brand we pay a $10 copay. It's such a shameful scam because someone is getting a kick back and it certainly isn't the consumer. Best of luck to you - I have great empathy for your situation. :sad2:

Definitely check to see if Concerta name brand is covered. My daughter is on that and her insurance will only cover name brand. She's on United.

I was going to come on here and ask if anyone had experience with GoodRx. If they are just quoting the price of the meds at Walgreens, what I am getting for a quote (also around $104) is wrong. We fill our prescription there every month and it's way more than that. Maybe that is some sort of discount they give with GoodRx though. I called the pharmacy and they need to run the prescription with GoodRx to see what it will cost, so I will try this once I have the prescription for the next refill in hand.

Bummer about Canada. Thought that that could be a backup plan at least.

The new ped. isn't uncomfortable with the meds, but she really doesn't know my kids. Her partner left fairly abruptly, and she ended up with some of his patient load in addition to her own. I'll certainly ask her to appeal, but I'm not hopeful she'll pursue it like our lifelong ped would have, KWIM?

We do not have traditional insurance and use Good Rx for all of our prescriptions. They are not quoting prices from the pharmacies, but showing their discounted price for each pharmacy that honors their discount. It's a great program! Some of their discounts are much less than what I paid for prescriptions with our old regular insurance plan. Don't hesitate to give it a try!

As a pharmacy student, I can tell you that I see this stuff happen every day at work. If you can get your pharmacy to submit a prior auth form to your doctor, and can get the dr. to submit it to the insurance there is a decent chance that the insurance will then still cover the drug, especially if your dr makes it clear that your daughter has a long history. While I understand you had to switch doctors, there still should be a record of those changes and treatment failures in the practice records that your new dr can look at and see. In addition it very well may be that your insurance will pay for the brand Concerta, but not the generic. Drug companies love to give the insurance companies "rebates" that encourage them to only cover the brand name drug, and it seems to be an especially big trend in the world of ADHD meds.

Before you use a canadian pharmacy, please know that getting a controlled substance script from a foreign pharmacy and then "importing" it into the US is illegal. Realistically, the chances of getting caught are slim, as the government has bigger drugs across borders issues to solve, but if they ever started paying attention to it, you could get slammed. It doesn't matter how the drug is classified overseas, because here in the states it is controlled, and that is what matters to our government. If you were to drive across the border, and back into the country with the drug, you would be opening up yourself to an even bigger liability. The government doesn't mind so much on stuff like heart meds, and your standard non-controls (and to some extent actually driving across the border to get them for personal use, in a no greater than 90 day supply is ok with the gov) but they may use more scrutiny for controls.

If you were to try the Canadian route, you need to ensure that you are really doing your research. People know our drug prices are high, and that people in the US are desperate. Therefore there are plenty of less than trustworthy people running "rogue" pharmacies, that claim to sell you what your order, but that are really just sending counterfeit drugs, that at best have no therapeutic value, and at worst can cause more harm. I'm not saying that there are not legitimate places out there to order things from Canada, but it requires a lot of research on your part to make sure that they are legit.

And now, let me tell you that as a pharmacy student, I hate dealing with insurance. There is no rhyme, reason, or logic behind what they do, and often, they won't even tell me why they won't pay for something. Also, nothing would make me happier than for the government to join every other country in the world (except New Zealand) in preventing pharmaceutical advertising for prescription drugs...

OP did the letter mention anything about brand being covered? I saw a similar letter regarding a UPMC insurance formulary change that stated generic concerta would no longer be covered as of July 1st but that as of that date the brand name would be covered instead.

There is one generic of concerts that is made on the same machines as the name brand and it is carried by target pharmacy... I can tell you i pay 10$ and my insurance pays about 240-280$ for a one month supply of this generic. It will say Alza on the pill itself that is how you know it is the right one. Call every pharmacy that takes your insurance and find one they carries this generic. We have tricare and they stopped paying for name brand a bit over a year ago so this is the best alternative There is.

And now, let me tell you that as a pharmacy student, I hate dealing with insurance.

As a consumer, I hate insurance companies with a passion.

OP, I feel for you as i've gone round and round with insurance companies the last three years. It seems like every year, they cancel medicines that my son, my wife and I each take and that WORK for us. I never remember having this problem in the past, so I wonder why we have to deal with it now? We have done the get a letter from the doctor route, but the problem with that is that it takes time for that process to occur, and during that time, you are out of medicine. At least you got advanced warning - we usually find out that its no longer covered when we try to get a refill.

If you are a member, or considering a member, Costco has a pharmacy that has great savings on drugs. Recently, the insurance company wanted my wife's doctor to justify by letter why he put her on a particular generic medicine she has taken for years. Of course, we found that out when she had two pills left and went to get a refill. My wife would have had to make an appointment that would have been a week out, pay our $30 copay and wait for them to fill out the paperwork, submit it by mail, and then wait. All the while, she would not have had her meds. If she wanted the medicine, it would have been $172 at our local pharmacy. She called Costco, and it was about $14 for a 30 day supply without using insurance. Needless to say, we skipped using insurance on that one and filled with Costco.

I agree with two previous posters, did your pediatrician file a prior authorization? The medication may very well be covered if that step is taken. I work in a med/peds office and this is my job. Quite often medications are covered when written documentation in provided that formulary medications have been tried and failed. Depending on the insurance, I can get an answer back almost instantly or usually within 72 hours. Don't give up...your pediatrician/staff should be able to help... Have you reached out to them?

We just received information that our child's monthly medicine will no longer be covered on our insurance formulary. We were already paying over $180 a month for this (generic!) medicine. Going to another generic isn't possible as this particular medication had a host of generics disallowed as substitutes about 2 years ago. Those generics didn't work the same. Only the one our child takes works well. I can't imagine what it will cost without the insurance rate if it's $180 a month WITH the insurance rate. Also, without it being on the formulary, does that mean that we pay OOP and then it doesn't even go towards the deductable? We have a high deductable health plan, but in the past the $180+ a month went towards the deductable.

What choices do I have here? I'm guessing an appeal won't be possible. I'm don't even know if I can order it from Canada as it's technically controlled (ADHD med). Thank you for any guidance.

I worked for an online pharmacy, and unfortunately no, you will not be able to order a controlled medication. If you find a pharmacy that will fill it for you, DO NOT use them. I worked for the largest online pharmacy too, not a 'Bob's Pharmacy' unlicensed place.

OP did the letter mention anything about brand being covered? I saw a similar letter regarding a UPMC insurance formulary change that stated generic concerta would no longer be covered as of July 1st but that as of that date the brand name would be covered instead.

No, unfortunately they didn't state that they would now cover the brand. There was something in the letter to the effect of "ask your doctor about other options".

There is one generic of concerts that is made on the same machines as the name brand and it is carried by target pharmacy... I can tell you i pay 10$ and my insurance pays about 240-280$ for a one month supply of this generic. It will say Alza on the pill itself that is how you know it is the right one. Call every pharmacy that takes your insurance and find one they carries this generic. We have tricare and they stopped paying for name brand a bit over a year ago so this is the best alternative There is.

Yes, this is the one that my daughter takes also. It's actually made by the brand manufacturer, and to the best of my knowledge is the only "allowed" generic for Concerta anymore. This is the one they won't cover. We are still paying $180 a month for this med due to high deductable insurance, but at least it goes towards the deductable. Now we'll be paying OOP still but it's not getting credited towards the deductable. Hoping that the GoodRx price that I see is accurate as that is actually better than our insurance rate, but still...I'd like to see that money going towards the deductable because it's not a small amount either way.

If you are a member, or considering a member, Costco has a pharmacy that has great savings on drugs. Recently, the insurance company wanted my wife's doctor to justify by letter why he put her on a particular generic medicine she has taken for years. Of course, we found that out when she had two pills left and went to get a refill. My wife would have had to make an appointment that would have been a week out, pay our $30 copay and wait for them to fill out the paperwork, submit it by mail, and then wait. All the while, she would not have had her meds. If she wanted the medicine, it would have been $172 at our local pharmacy. She called Costco, and it was about $14 for a 30 day supply without using insurance. Needless to say, we skipped using insurance on that one and filled with Costco.

UGH, that stinks! Yes, at least we did have advanced warning. We don't have Costco around here, but even if we did it didn't look like they were the cheapest option for this particular med on GoodRx unfortunately.

Now we'll be paying OOP still but it's not getting credited towards the deductable.

You can still use your HSA to pay for it, even if it doesn't count towards your deductible or OOP max.

I agree with others who suggest getting the doctor to put in a request explaining that your DD has tried other meds without success. There's no guarantee it will work, but it might. And in the meantime, research what ADHD meds are now covered by your formulary and discuss those options with her PED as well.

Wishing you luck getting it all sorted out! :hug:

I thought the fda had determined that that generic was the only acceptable replacement for name brand concerta..... How can they deny it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter