• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Updated! Anyone drive to WDW w/10 in van for 15 hours? - We did!

We've rented 12- and 15-passenger vans many times for our trips. We've done short and long hauls (e.g. 10-hour Vancouver to Alberta), and haven't had any major issues - none of the adults has ever complained about leg room, comfort, etc. We do make sure to make stops for nature calls or stretching or pictures.

If you only have 10 occupants, and it's an option, I would recommend switching to a 12-passenger van. We've found that typically the only difference is that the 15-passenger has extra seats in the back, but a lot less storage/luggage space. In the 15-passenger vans, we usually need to put our large luggage either in the front passenger seat or the second row for ease of getting them in and out of the vehicle.

Also, regarding insurance, instead of getting the coverage from the car rental company, you can save a lot of money if you have/get an American Express card. The rental car coverage offered by most credit cards typically do NOT cover 12- and 15-passenger vans. But most American Express card holders have the option of purchasing Amex Premium Car Rental Insurance that does cover these large vans at the flat rate of $12 to $25 per rental period (NOT per day). Here's a couple of links:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/american-express-premium-car-rental-protection/https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do
Hope you have a great trip!
Thank you so much for this! I am thinking that we will remove some of the rear seats for packing, if necessary in the 15 seater. I actually have both a 12 and 15 seat van reserved at two different places, so I will think about your advice before cancelling one. We used to have a 12 seater converted from a 15 seater and the newer models look much nicer with individual seats and headrests, so I'm hoping it will be bearable.

We do have AmEx, so will definitely look into the car insurance from them - thank you!

We went from MD to Myrtle Beach in a 10 passenger. We had 6 adults and 2 toddlers. As I recall, it worked out fine, but I was one of the drivers so I wasn't stuck in a regular seat.
Except for that, all of our trips to Disney were in two vehicles and had a stopover in southern GA. (Kingsland). Those multi vehicle trips worked better for comfort and convenience, as well as keeping everyone from getting on each other's nerves. ;)
I know you were asking about the multi-passenger van and I went on about the car trips. The lesson here is we only did it once! LOL.
Best of luck.

Just a word of caution since you are driving in January, southern states like Ga don’t have a lot of winter road equipment so a little bad weather can cause massive delays in places like Atlanta.

We went from MD to Myrtle Beach in a 10 passenger. We had 6 adults and 2 toddlers. As I recall, it worked out fine, but I was one of the drivers so I wasn't stuck in a regular seat.
Except for that, all of our trips to Disney were in two vehicles and had a stopover in southern GA. (Kingsland). Those multi vehicle trips worked better for comfort and convenience, as well as keeping everyone from getting on each other's nerves. ;)
I know you were asking about the multi-passenger van and I went on about the car trips. The lesson here is we only did it once! LOL.
Best of luck.

Thanks for that advice. One DS was thinking multi vehicles because his family is a little slower than the rest of us. But we are also really hoping to avoid the extra cost and tie of staying somewhere on the way, which is what we did when my kids were little. We will discuss this further but we are really not in a rush, time-wise, since our Disney villa won't be ready before noon, I'm sure.

Just a word of caution since you are driving in January, southern states like Ga don’t have a lot of winter road equipment so a little bad weather can cause massive delays in places like Atlanta.

I appreciate this warning! We will definitely be checking the weather for our route and, since we are driving, we have some flexability about when to leave. Winter road conditions are definitely a major concern, especially since we plan to travel at night.

I appreciate this warning! We will definitely be checking the weather for our route and, since we are driving, we have some flexability about when to leave. Winter road conditions are definitely a major concern, especially since we plan to travel at night.
and more so with large vans

But we are also really hoping to avoid the extra cost and tie of staying somewhere on the way, which is what we did when my kids were little.

I don't understand why you can't drive straight through with two vehicles. I've done it with two adults in the car, and neither of us is a night shift worker. You just have to trade off, and the "off" driver naps while the other drives - and it's even easier if you have 3 drivers in each car. I'm more north than you (outside of Philly), but I like leaving ridiculously early in the morning. Even leaving at 3 am, I'm good to go. When we did this with little ones in the car, they fell back asleep in their car seats, and slept until about 7 am, as did my husband. He took over late morning, and I got a late morning nap in before lunch.

Everything considered,extra expenses renting vehicles,lodgings multiple drivers,road conditions,just fly

I don't understand why you can't drive straight through with two vehicles. I've done it with two adults in the car, and neither of us is a night shift worker. You just have to trade off, and the "off" driver naps while the other drives - and it's even easier if you have 3 drivers in each car. I'm more north than you (outside of Philly), but I like leaving ridiculously early in the morning. Even leaving at 3 am, I'm good to go. When we did this with little ones in the car, they fell back asleep in their car seats, and slept until about 7 am, as did my husband. He took over late morning, and I got a late morning nap in before lunch.

We can drive with two vehicles and have 2 or 3 drivers in each, as you point out. We also have driven many times (all but two in my signature below), also leaving as early as 3 a.m. - since we had 4 kids and a large van (12 passenger with storage space so equal to 15 passenger size that we don't own anymore), that was the best/cheapest option. We possibly may end up driving two vehicles but I am hoping that my 3 DSs, 2 DILs and 3 grandkids can all go with DH and me so that we can begin our trip together. (DD and SIL are flying ffrom KS). We all live close together and actually all lived together for more than a year when kids were relocating. My two granddaughters, age 5, are in two different families and I think they would have fun traveling together.

Two smaller vehicles does not equal more comfort. My question really is about the comfort for 7 adults in a 15 passenger (Ford Transit equivalent) van and if anyone has had experience with that. When we did that when my kids were younger, DH and I were the only adults and sat in the front seats.

Last edited:
Everything considered,extra expenses renting vehicles,lodgings multiple drivers,road conditions,just fly

We are not renting more than one vehicle. For 3 people to fly SW from BWI to MCO, it is over $1,000. We are 10 people, so the group cost would be quite a bit more. The van rental for 8 days plus insurance should not be more than $2,000. Plus, w/o ME, we would probably want to rent vehicles in WDW once we are there, so the rental would be on top of the flights. We are not planning on stopping for the night on our drive (one DS is a night worker and will have just woken up), so there is no hotel costs along the way. We are staying DVC in WDW.

A few years ago, DH and I went to WDW in January by ourselves and flying - our only time flying to WDW - and a blizzard was coming to MD. We had to scramble to find alternative flights out 3 days early. Driving is much more flexible. And, if needed, we all could drive separately and I can cancel the van rental.

I know you are looking for personal experience. We drive a lot of 10-12 hour road trips, however I do not have experience in a 15 passenger van.

I would ask, do any of the seats come out? And/or, does anything work with putting your luggage in plastic bins that fit between the seats. Thinking you may be able to place a piece of foam across the seat and plastic bins, kinda making the seat into a bed.

People sleeping make for better passengers...

Also recommend you get a couple of 6 port USB charges and perhaps some 10 foot cords for everyone's electronics.

We are not renting more than one vehicle. For 3 people to fly SW from BWI to MCO, it is over $1,000. We are 10 people, so the group cost would be quite a bit more. The van rental for 8 days plus insurance should not be more than $2,000. Plus, w/o ME, we would probably want to rent vehicles in WDW once we are there, so the rental would be on top of the flights. We are not planning on stopping for the night on our drive (one DS is a night worker and will have just woken up), so there is no hotel costs along the way. We are staying DVC in WDW.

A few years ago, DH and I went to WDW in January by ourselves and flying - our only time flying to WDW - and a blizzard was coming to MD. We had to scramble to find alternative flights out 3 days early. Driving is much more flexible. And, if needed, we all could drive separately and I can cancel the van rental.
Well then,looks like you have all the answers and your mind's made up for your group already.Driving in a blizzard is more flexible?I'd rather miss a flight and get on the next one,rather than risk my loved ones lives by driving under those conditions.Good Luck.

Well then,looks like you have all the answers and your mind's made up for your group already.Driving in a blizzard is more flexible?I'd rather miss a flight and get on the next one,rather than risk my loved ones lives by driving under those conditions.Good Luck.

I didn't say I'd drive in a blizzard. I meant that we can leave early if we see bad weather coming in the forecast, just as DH and I did several years ago - we flew out before the storm hit. We are all responsible adults and would not put ourselves in obvious danger for this trip.
I was looking for others who have driven long distances with adults in the back seats in large vans. We have driven twice in January to FL in large vans that we owned (and many times in other times of the year) but always with children in the back van seats.

We just drove from NYC to California in a 12 passenger Ford Transit (10 day road trip). We were only 7 (our kids are all over 18 years old) but we were moving our daughter to medical school so most of the seats were full with stuff. I will say the leg room got smaller in each row the farther you got back - the 4th row had terrible leg room. Our son, who is over 6 feet, sat back there alone but two of the seats and floor had stuff on it.
For the layout. The front two seats are great. Then the next row had 3 seats with good leg room. The 3rd row had 2 seats then a space and then a very narrow seat (next to the sliding door) but had plenty of leg room in front of that seat. The 4th row had 4 seats. One of the middle seats of the 4th row had a space in front of it so taller people could sit. My son sat in the seat next to that and spread his legs through that space.

So definitely the driver area and the 2nd row had great leg room (we had 3 of the kids sit there the whole trip)- so 5 will be comfortable. The 3rd row has that narrow seat with plenty of leg room and the 4th row has one seat with plenty of leg room - so I think that covers your 7 adults.

The problem I see is the luggage but you say you will be fine. Many of us tend to overpack. We absolutely loved this trip. It was a trip of a lifetime. We loved being in one car.

I hope this helps. Ask any other questions that you have.

I know you are looking for personal experience. We drive a lot of 10-12 hour road trips, however I do not have experience in a 15 passenger van.

I would ask, do any of the seats come out? And/or, does anything work with putting your luggage in plastic bins that fit between the seats. Thinking you may be able to place a piece of foam across the seat and plastic bins, kinda making the seat into a bed.

People sleeping make for better passengers...

Also recommend you get a couple of 6 port USB charges and perhaps some 10 foot cords for everyone's electronics.

Seats do come out and all may recline a bit, like in an airplane, depending on the model we rent. However, I don't think any of us plan to unbuckle during the drive to be able to lay down. I think most of us will be able to rest our heads against the window or a car seat with a pillow/jacket. The children will be in carseats and the adults are very adaptable and used to long drives, but I am concerned about the leg room for that length of time. I'm hoping that if the adults are sitting on the ends of rows, leg room will be okay.

I have no doubt that most of us will not sleep well during this drive. A lot of my family doesn't sleep well regularly in our lives.

I appreciate the advice about the electronics!

We just drove from NYC to California in a 12 passenger Ford Transit (10 day road trip). We were only 7 (our kids are all over 18 years old) but we were moving our daughter to medical school so most of the seats were full with stuff. I will say the leg room got smaller in each row the farther you got back - the 4th row had terrible leg room. Our son, who is over 6 feet, sat back there alone but two of the seats and floor had stuff on it.
For the layout. The front two seats are great. Then the next row had 3 seats with good leg room. The 3rd row had 2 seats then a space and then a very narrow seat (next to the sliding door) but had plenty of leg room in front of that seat. The 4th row had 4 seats. One of the middle seats of the 4th row had a space in front of it so taller people could sit. My son sat in the seat next to that and spread his legs through that space.

So definitely the driver area and the 2nd row had great leg room (we had 3 of the kids sit there the whole trip)- so 5 will be comfortable. The 3rd row has that narrow seat with plenty of leg room and the 4th row has one seat with plenty of leg room - so I think that covers your 7 adults.

The problem I see is the luggage but you say you will be fine. Many of us tend to overpack. We absolutely loved this trip. It was a trip of a lifetime. We loved being in one car.

I hope this helps. Ask any other questions that you have.

Thanks so much for this! So glad you had a great trip and enjoyed being together! I will re-think the seating plan based on your review.

Packing may be an issue (I am the worst). We are only going for 6 nights and will have washer/dryer. We will be shopping for groceries after checking in.

I have no doubt that most of us will not sleep well during this drive...
Years ago when in my 20s, we did the 24 hour drive from NY to Disney. Well, actually to my friend's mom's house who lived in this new development called the Villages. Must have been the late '80s, maybe very early 1990s. Four twenty somethings, in one of those newer mini van things. Took a long time, especially with the speed limit being 55 back then. We took turns, the driver had to drive, the passenger was the co-pilot (yeah, long before GPS and none of us had cell phones back then), and responsible for making sure the driver was ok.

We had taken out one set of seats, so the two in the back could sit on the seat, or lie down on the floor. So much more comfortable than the trips we made in my teens in the family station wagon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter