I’m so paranoid about buying physical cards that I keep reusing old cards which I know is riskier in case there are issues. I think I will get new cards soon, I’m thinking buying them directly at a WDW shop to be safe? I’ve never bought a DGC on property but I imagine they’re at the register and harder to tamper with? I’ve always put my eDGC balances on physical cards to make swiping easier but perhaps I need to look into using Apple Wallet or just scanning the barcodes from my phone even if that’s a bit of a hassle at restaurants.
Sometimes when I buy giftcards directly from shopdisney I order multiple $25 physical cards. That way I have "fresh" cards to which I can transfer the money from other cards purchased from 3rd party sites such as Target, etc. I used to reuse my physical cards over & over again but I don't feel comfortable doing that anymore.

I’m so paranoid about buying physical cards that I keep reusing old cards which I know is riskier in case there are issues. I think I will get new cards soon, I’m thinking buying them directly at a WDW shop to be safe? I’ve never bought a DGC on property but I imagine they’re at the register and harder to tamper with? I’ve always put my eDGC balances on physical cards to make swiping easier but perhaps I need to look into using Apple Wallet or just scanning the barcodes from my phone even if that’s a bit of a hassle at restaurants.
Every time I go to Disney, I pick up a new GC or two at the end of my trip to transfer my leftover Disney GC money on and that's the one I use to build up funds again. I always try to grab a GC in the middle of the stack to decrease chances that its one that has been tampered with too. I've read that thieves tend to put their tampered cards in the front.

Sometimes when I buy giftcards directly from shopdisney I order multiple $25 physical cards. That way I have "fresh" cards to which I can transfer the money from other cards purchased from 3rd party sites such as Target, etc. I used to reuse my physical cards over & over again but I don't feel comfortable doing that anymore.
After several trips with lots of transferring onto my cards, I decided to dump my stash and start fresh. I was planning on waiting for a good click through to reload some ShopDisney designs, but it didn't even occur to me to buy a few 25s versus a single 100. Thanks!!

We just received our $250 T-mobile virtual visas from switching to T-mobile at Costco back in September. Cards were good at Costco or T-mobile, so I tried using it to buy a DGC from Costco online on my mom's Costco account (I reached the limit on my login). No issues, it worked! Love getting a "free" DGC! There is no way to pay with two cards online so I just did the one DGC. We are on the same Costco membership but have separate logins since I have the household card.

There was a video recently with the Today show where one of their lawyers got $2000 worth of empty gift cards. They show what they looked like. The problem seems mostly to be from gift cards that are sealed which makes it hard to see that the card itself has been tampered with:

I noticed some of the newer Disney gift cards I purchased from Lidl have converted to a sealed gift card package instead of the card being glued. I had thought this was a benefit because it made it much harder to get to the gift card without messing with the packaging - but I'm not so sure that is true based on the video above.

Damn! I generally stick to electronic gift cards, but I feel the solution to this is to put the actual gift cards behind the counter. The employee has to activate it anyway. If this happens to me - I’m disputing the charge on my credit card and letting the store explain it (assuming they don’t just refund me)

Last edited:
I just bought some physical cards from Target so I could get the 5% with my RedCard. They are arriving UPS, so I can track delivery. I figured they would likely not be pulled from a store, so less likely to be tampered with.

ok what did I miss? why is reusing my physical gc after refilling it risky?

Always important to be on the lookout for tampered gift cards in the store, as the article below illustrates.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gift-card-draining-scam-hits-023311882.html
Saw that article in the Post, that is the Target store where I bought my 5 $100 discounted cards the first week of Dec. they actually had a security guard standing around the gift cards then, and that was a few weeks before this bust. So I pulled out my cards and checked the balances, all had $100 on them. They were enclosed in paper sleeves and the covering on the pin #s was intact so I feel ok with them.

Saw that article in the Post, that is the Target store where I bought my 5 $100 discounted cards the first week of Dec. they actually had a security guard standing around the gift cards then, and that was a few weeks before this bust. So I pulled out my cards and checked the balances, all had $100 on them. They were enclosed in paper sleeves and the covering on the pin #s was intact so I feel ok with them.
My card that got hacked was 'sealed' in the cardboard, and had an intact scratch off sticker. It's best to check, and transfer to your Target account.

Yes, you should use newish DGC as the older ones seem to have issues. I too buy my physical cards directly from ShopDisney.
I've had no issues when buying any at the parks either.

I wonder if stores should start putting GCs "behind the counter" to combat this practice.

LAX
My local HD has been putting Visa/MCs behind the counter for at least a year. My guess is they got burned. The other gc are out there to grab, but fraud is not as rampant on 3rd party gc's as it is with Visa/MCs.

ok what did I miss? why is reusing my physical gc after refilling it risky?

I am curious too….

Me too! I'm still using one from 2010. A CM commented last time she had never seen that one...I told her it was very old.

Several peeps have posted they had issues using the same physical DGC they purchased years ago, that's what we're referring to. It's recommended to start with fresh cards every once in a while. Disney changed the amount of #'s on their gift cards. The older cards are not registering as easily.

I wonder if stores should start putting GCs "behind the counter" to combat this practice.

LAX

My local HD has been putting Visa/MCs behind the counter for at least a year. My guess is they got burned. The other gc are out there to grab, but fraud is not as rampant on 3rd party gc's as it is with Visa/MCs.
I have two Giant stores near me. One of them has recently put the Visa/MC's behind the counter. The other store still has them out with the other gc's.

I think Kroger is cracking down on using visa/mc gift cards for purchasing other gift cards in store. A few months ago I could do unlimited transactions processing it as a credit card, last month I was limited to 2 transactions total, now it just kept denying my transaction. I was able to use the visa/mc gift card to purchase groceries only, but when I tried to check out with gc's, it would not process my payment.
I know most stores have a policy where you can't buy another gift card with a store gift card, but it seems Kroger is extending this to any type of gift card.
*I would purchase the visa GC at Office depot to get 5x Chase rewards, then I would purchase the disney gift card at kroger when they have 4x fuel rewards to try and maximize my discount

Thanks for posting. Grrr!
DP has been added.

Do you remember when Bed, Bath & Beyond moved gift cards behind the counter and what a PITA it was when purchasing?
You had to purchase them at the counter and they watched you like a hawk....

Kroger has published their weekly ad starting 1/03/24 - 1/09/24 and unfortunately I'm not seeing anything for gift cards.
Kroger Krazy

Hopefully they'll add a digital coupon as the days progress to help ring in the new year. Currently available is Spafinder and it expires on 1/02/24.

1703960978416.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter