UPDATED: MagicBands will NOT be coming to Disneyland

I meant the FP+ system. Magic bands with room key and ticket are fine. Even if they eliminate paper fastpasses, I'm ok with that. Just the way that they make it so that you have to plan 2-3 months in advance for rides is what I hate the most. Many of our trips are last minute and so we might get the shaft this way. Big thumbs down. BIG.

We just got back from a 2 week WDW trip (Premier AP holders) & although we reserved 60 days out FP+ for most of the trip we also stayed OFF site which meant some were reserved at 30 days days out. It was still OKAY!! ::yes::
We also did some changes to a few FP+ either the day before or early morning of that day as well as cancel ( such as just not show up) :blush:
I'm sure it WILL be a bit different than WDW .... maybe better!
It was THE BEST choice for us especially when some rides went almost 3 hours deep with NO FP+ ( around 5pm New Years Eve on Fast Track in Epcot)and we did the ride in 15 - 20 minutes TOTAL from entrance to exiting OFF the actual ride!! :worship:
The only tiny negative we may have with FP+ would be the down time between ride or event but we dealt with it fine.
LOVE FP+ & magic bands!!! :cloud9:
We used the bands for EVERY little thing we purchased (even at their Downtown Disney) then had the itemized statement that kept track for you !
Yes it does open your door (only had a slight problem with 2 out of the 4 bands but went to front desk and had it cleared up right away ! ;)
On the days we had to drive & attend as JUST AP holders and not onsite guests we just stuck our hand out for CM parking attendants to see and they let you in!
I don't remember attempting to use the band for purchases as an AP holder but I think it is not possible due to charging back to your room. :rolleyes2

We did feel like we had too much advantage of choosing or disregarding rides or events because we could do MOST of the same things at Disneyland & California Adventure as local So Cal residents so ONLY doing 3 or 4 ride per park per day was not a BIG DEAL to US!
Perhaps it maybe a huge issue for those on a few days once in a life trip because you defintely need MORE than a few days to enjoy WDW and LONG LINES DO NOT make for enjoyment!!:worried:

Well duh!

I live in the Sacramento area, and I'd be booking FP+ "just in case". Heck we've already talked about when we want to try & go back. So of course I'd book our FP+ if we thought we might make it down on a given day, whether we actually went or not.

I think it has the potential to completely overwhelm the system in ways they have not had to experience at WDW.

No, you don't even have to visit WDW to have a MDE (My Disney Experience) account (just sign up for one at waltdisneyworld.com). In terms of FP+, you just have to have a valid ticket (including AP) to make FP+ reservations. Guests staying onsite (at one of the WDW hotels) can make FP+ reservations starting 60-day in advance, while everyone else can make them starting 30-days in advance (everyone has to have a valid ticket regardless).

So if DLR were to copy WDW system, then anyone staying at DLH, GCH, or PPI would be able to make FP+ reservations 60-days in advance, while everyone else (including AP holders) would be able to make reservations 30-days in advance. Folks that do not know about FP+, do not make reservations in advance, or do not have tickets purchased and linked to their accounts, would be able to make FP+ reservations once they get to the parks. By then, the most popular ones are usually already long gone.

Assuming DLR uses MagicBands in a way similar to WDW, then the MagicBand would essentially become your park ticket (assuming you link your park ticket to your MDE account and then link your MagicBand to your MDE account), you would use it to redeem your FP+ reservations, scan it for your PhotoPass photos, etc.

Yes, in your case, you would have a problem. You'd be able to make FP+ reservations for you and your DH, but you would have to wait to make the kid's reservations until you have their ticket. Whether you could get FP+ times to match yours later, that all depends on what is left in the system when you link their tickets. While I don't think you're unique in this, I don't know that it's as big of an issue at WDW. I do think more folks go for big family vacations and end up buying everyone's ticket either as part of a package through Disney or all at one time through a ticket broker. I can see it becoming an issue at DLR.

I wonder if FP+ would force DL to release their calendar earlier than they do now.

I also wonder how they would retro-fit FP lines into so many of the DL rides, mostly the ones in FL.

I wonder if FP+ would force DL to release their calendar earlier than they do now.

I also wonder how they would retro-fit FP lines into so many of the DL rides, mostly the ones in FL.

There were 2 separate lines all leading back to the boarding station! :) and 2 FP+ machines at all rides/events - 1st at entrace outside then 2nd before boarding entrance inside. :teacher:

:scratchin Although I must admit the Q's are much more extended out there @ WDW parks than here so don't know how they will do it but it SHALL be done!! :thumbsup2

I would love to see them change the system to allow access to the system only after people are within the park. But given that Disney has stated that the goal of the system is to get people to "lock in" their Disney days, I just don't see that happening.
That would be my preferred system also, but I haven't quite figured out how they would do that. I suppose there must be someway for the app to know if you're in a park (at WDW, it would also depend on which park) and then let you select from there. The absolute worse would be if they made everyone go to one of the kiosks...can you imagine what the lines would look like! :eek:

I think they would only have to release their calendar earlier if they go with the 60-day system like WDW does. If they had a shorter pre-booking window, it might not impact when their calendar is released (e.g., the 30-day window wouldn't really impact the current system).

In terms of the line configurations, pretty much any line that splits now would just have one side for FP and one side for SB. They could also reconfigure queues (e.g., move the ropes, re-do the poles, etc.). Some of the FL rides might the toughest (at this point), but I think that if they do want to use FP+ at DLR and plan to add it to most all rides (instead of just the existing FP rides), they'll figure out how to re-configure the queues with as little work as possible.

:scratchin Although I must admit the Q's are much more extended out there @ WDW parks than here so don't know how they will do it but it SHALL be done!! :thumbsup2

The PP is commenting on how there just isn't room for 2 lines at all those rides in Fantasyland. I sort of agree and am concerned they might go "all FP" like they did with the A/E meet and greet.

I wonder if FP+ would force DL to release their calendar earlier than they do now. I also wonder how they would retro-fit FP lines into so many of the DL rides, mostly the ones in FL.

Can you imagine them trying to squeeze two lines into the queues in FL? One line barely fits into those areas! God help us if that's what the returns are for...although IF they were going to update the queues to fit 2 lines, wouldn't they have done that to Alice since it was just refurbed? DL itself is too compact for more lines. I think only IASW could accommodate that!

That would be my preferred system also, but I haven't quite figured out how they would do that. I suppose there must be someway for the app to know if you're in a park (at WDW, it would also depend on which park) and then let you select from there. The absolute worse would be if they made everyone go to one of the kiosks...can you imagine what the lines would look like! :eek:

The old Disney app would only work if you were actually in the park if I recall properly. Surely in this day and age that's something that could be done. You know...... provided they wanted to.

I always buy hoppers when I go to DLR. :confused:

I think Eclectic Goddess meant that they should make all ticket park hoppers (and eliminate the one-day/one-park ticket). Otherwise, as you said, there is already the ability to park hop and the implementation of MyMagic won't have impact on that.

Sorry I was unclear. I meant I'd like the ability to book FP+ for rides at both parks, instead of being limited to making reservations in just one park per day.

I think the way it's set up at WDW is that AP holders can book up to 7 days worth of FPs and they have access 30 days out (unless staying onsite). I would love to see them change the system to allow access to the system only after people are within the park. But given that Disney has stated that the goal of the system is to get people to "lock in" their Disney days, I just don't see that happening.

If the MBs are tied to your ticket, couldn't it be scanned as you enter a park, and then you'd be able to access the FP+ app on your phone?

Personally, I'd be happy if the current FPs could be "loaded" onto the ticket/MB, but essentially stay the same. As in, as long as you're "in" the park, you can collect them. Except FPs would be paperless & tied directly to your ticket. Although I may have been known to get FPs for my entire family for Screamin', knowing darn well that only ds & I were going on it :) There isn't anything much more exhilarating than riding Screamin' 3x in a row using FPs :)

Sorry I was unclear. I meant I'd like the ability to book FP+ for rides at both parks, instead of being limited to making reservations in just one park per day.

Oh yeah, that would be awful to only be able to book FPs at one park! Don't most people hop at DLR?

There isn't anything much more exhilarating than riding Screamin' 3x in a row using FPs :)

Unless it's doing it 6 times in a row at early park open (No FP needed!), several times without ever leaving the car. :drive:

For more exhilaration, try doing it when the thermometer reads 38 degrees! :lmao:

Unless it's doing it 6 times in a row at early park open (No FP needed!), several times without ever leaving the car. :drive: For more exhilaration, try doing it when the thermometer reads 38 degrees! :lmao:

Nice! Ds would be jealous!

When we were there in Dec it wasn't running yet so we had to wait...though I can't imagine riding it when it's only 38 out! I'm such a wimpy thin-blooded Californian :)

Nice! Ds would be jealous!

When we were there in Dec it wasn't running yet so we had to wait...though I can't imagine riding it when it's only 38 out! I'm such a wimpy thin-blooded Californian :)

The cold was pretty awesome for keeping the line down so we made the best of it. :) That was last year. This year we rode it 9 times over 3 days. Love love love that ride!

We dont like to plan our trip in detail in advance. the only planning we do in advance are " what week are we flying to DLR" .

The only FP i have ever used is WOC. and the only dining res i ever made was Ariels for lunch with princesses.

since we go during the off-season, we really never had a need to use any ride FP since all the lines were pretty quick. (this was prior to CARSLAND. so i would get a RSR FP on next trip).

So i hope that we can still use the standby line once they put the magic bands into place, and not make it like the Anna and Elsa thing where the FP is required.

If you haven't been since carsland, then you will find that the parks are more crowded year round now and that is a game changer...especially when it comes to fps. There really is not much of a slow season anymore...

If the MBs are tied to your ticket, couldn't it be scanned as you enter a park, and then you'd be able to access the FP+ app on your phone?

Personally, I'd be happy if the current FPs could be "loaded" onto the ticket/MB, but essentially stay the same. As in, as long as you're "in" the park, you can collect them. Except FPs would be paperless & tied directly to your ticket. Although I may have been known to get FPs for my entire family for Screamin', knowing darn well that only ds & I were going on it :) There isn't anything much more exhilarating than riding Screamin' 3x in a row using FPs :)

You can trade magic bands/rfid cards between people to use FPs across your group as needed, there is no verification that the bracelet/card belongs to a certain person in the queues. Much like just handing off the paper FP.

I don't like FP+ and the need to pre-plan even more aspects of your trip, but in WDW's defense, most of the top tier rides (assuming you're referring to the tiered system at Epcot and DHS) aren't going to have 5-10 minute lines in most cases (at least, I rarely saw rides like Soarin', Test Track, TSMM, and RnR have lines that are only 5 to 10 minutes, even before the implementation of FP+).

From what I've read, a good strategy at WDW with FP+ is get your FPs in the morning. That way when all 3 are used, you can go get some more. Right? Still confused about all of that stuff. Anyway, at DL if I used the same strategy, my last trip would've been a little off kilter. We were there the same week as you I think. Small crowds and we would get there at rope drop at 10am. We walked on BTMRR, Splash Mt, Pirates and several other rides for that first 90 minutes. If I actually got a FP for those rides in the morning, they would sorta be a waste. I know, I can just get some FPs for the afternoon, but them I'm planning and fretting about how busy the morning will be, and will I be able to get more FPs later.....ugh. Seems so stressful. Just leave Legacy FP alone at DL.

From what I've read, a good strategy at WDW with FP+ is get your FPs in the morning. That way when all 3 are used, you can go get some more. Right?
There are two different strategies for FP+ at WDW. One is to stack all of your FPs for first thing in the morning and then try to get additional FPs after that. The other strategy is to slate your FPs for the busier time of the day (e.g., mid-afternoon) and wait in the SB lines at opening. I think both strategies have their benefits and their drawbacks and it ultimately depends on how you prefer to tour the parks. Given that I now know that the most popular attractions probably won't have FPs left by the afternoon, and that my family isn't always going to make rope drop, I would probably opt to use the second strategy. Slate FP+ reservations for mid-afternoon and evening and ride standby in the morning, when the lines are generally shorter.

I think the way it's set up at WDW is that AP holders can book up to 7 days worth of FPs and they have access 30 days out (unless staying onsite).

I would love to see them change the system to allow access to the system only after people are within the park. But given that Disney has stated that the goal of the system is to get people to "lock in" their Disney days, I just don't see that happening.

I'm not an AP holder, but my good friend is and I think that is right. I've heard it referred to as a rolling FP+ for AP holders. You can only have 7 days at a time booked with FP+ within a 30 day period (this has caused stress for offsite people planning longer than 7 day trips- if you are onsite, then you can make as many days are your onsite reservation). Once you have booked 7 days within that 30 days, you can not book another day until you have used or cancelled a day as you can only have 7 days at any given time. I'm not sure what happens if you didn't cancel or use them and just let them pass unused- my guess is that you probably can book another day---but if DL has a problem with people booking day after day on the "maybe" I will go to the park and not cancelling them or using them, then they could change that.

The thing about FP+ is that they can tweak the parameters to do whatever they want it to do. They could allow onsite to book 30 days out and offsite 7 days out. They could only allow you to have 3 days booked at once instead of 7 unless you are onsite. Also instead of having the parks separated, they could treat them as one. Instead of having to pick a park and get FP+ for that park only (which I can see possibly resulting in tiers at CA as it is at EPCOT and DHS at WDW), I could see them giving you the standard 3 for the day for the combined parks. Then, like at WDW, as you utilize your 3, you can go to a kiosk to book a 4th if anything is available. Way back before the mess was implemented I read the patent application and I recall it specifically discussed their ability to change the parameters of the system at will for crowd direction and control.

Currently at WDW, you can not attach a credit card unless you are onsite, but I have heard rumors this might change in the not so distant future. I think they are finding from their sales revenues that people tend to spend more money when they just swipe the band, and aren't pulling out their actual credit/debit card or cash. People tend not to think about how much they are spending with the band on their wrist because transactions are so easy. Rumor is in the future they may be allowing people to attach a card to their MDE account at WDW so that offsite and AP holders can use magic bands for purchases. I can see them interested in utilizing that aspect of it at DL to try to up sales revenues.

I can tell you that from my friend's perspective, who lives within an hour of WDW, the system does sometimes control whether they go to WDW spontaneously for any given day or weekend. It all depends on what they want to do. If they just want to soak in the atmosphere, they will go regardless of FP+. If the kids want to do something specific, then they check for FP+. If they can't get a FP+ for what they want to do- then they don't go to WDW that day. It makes it hard for same day decisions to drive over to WDW- if you are deciding after park opening. It is not horribly hard if you decide a few days in advance. You still aren't going to be seeing Anna and Elsa or riding 7DMT, but you might be lucky enough to be able to do most anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter