Updated October 23 Read First Post Genie+ In WDW Summary To Give Disneyland People An Idea Of What To Expect

Disney just created a system where the worse the standby line is, the more money they make. Does anyone trust them in that scenario? Maybe in Iger’s Disney but not in Chapek’s Disney.
This is my concern too (and I agree with your other points.)

I saw a report from WDW that Rise was down, and when reopened they literally held standby line for over 45min and let only LL passes go by (to catchup due to downtime). Sadly it matches exactly what you said, there's no reason for Disney to allow standby if any LL walk up. One video on Genie+/LL launch day made me upset- it was guests chanting "WORTH IT!!" as they walked past families in the standby line. Talk about rude attitude, it'd be like sitting in First Class and laughing as a mom or dad is struggling with kids to get seats on airplane.

Yes, I know LL is open to anyone who wants to fork over money- that's not my point. At least with old Fast Pass system they would try to let standby in a few at a time even during downtimes. I need to change my point of view for Disney to money focused first, guest service second. They're now more in line with Six Flags and Cedar Fair business ethics. /end rant too ;)

Last edited:
If I am understanding the once per day rule, this is effectively making Genie+ operate like a punch card. I do wonder if this will have the effect of spreading the crowds out by sending people to attractions they wouldn't ordinarily ride because they can get better rides with Maxpass. I suspect that at least some people who buy Genie+ will end up going on rides they would not otherwise ride simply because they paid for it and there are no other LL options available. And it's always been true that a less desirable ride with a short line can be preferable to a more desirable ride with an insanely long line.

I think it’s even worse than a punch card or the old ticket books. Genie+ is basically on a timer of diminishing value as the day goes on and you are not guaranteed any LL selection. In fact it’s almost a guarantee that you won’t see the full value of your Genie+ investment as it is highly unlikely to get a LL for every single attraction. At least with Maxpass there is a possibility for your recoup some value at the end of the day by picking up random cancellations on rides you may have already pulled a FP for.

The more I reading about Genie+ the more I dislike it.

Thanks for doing this...

I read it and re-read it... now I have a headache...

Wow alot of jumping through hoops, and such... Plus for people that are not as tech savy such as myself, for me I'm really am going to have to sit down and study all this, before we head to Disneyland in March... and try to weigh it all out, to see what the best options are for us...

For people like my parents there is no way that they could even begin to understand all this and use it... plus what about people that don't have smart phones, or even a phone... they are getting completely left out...

Apologies if I've missed it, but has there been an announcement of when G+ and ILL will launch at DL?

Apologies if I've missed it, but has there been an announcement of when G+ and ILL will launch at DL?
No official word yet, only "this fall" from Disney. Technically meaning between now and Monday 12/20 since winter starts 12/21. 🤓

Fast Pass machines have ben removed, so I would keep an eye out for 'Lightning Lane' signage installation shortly prior to launch similar to Walt Disney World. No LL's signs have appeared at Disneyland yet but probably anytime now.

Last edited:
No official word yet, only "this fall" from Disney. Technically meaning between now and Monday 12/20 since winter starts 12/21. 🤓

Fast Pass machines have ben removed, so I would keep an eye out for 'Lightning Lane' signage installation shortly prior to launch similar to Walt Disney World. No LL's signs have appeared at Disneyland yet but probably anytime now.

I know it’s a pipe dream but I really hope that the lack of signage and rollout announcements mean that Disney might be pumping the brakes on Genie+ at DL.

With them dropping prices at DL Paris and the less than warm reception at WDW I wonder if they might be still open to tweaking the system before rolling it out at DL. It would seem foolish to roll out the exact same system after it hasn’t exactly done well at two other parks and it would probably better to make the tweaks before introducing it rather than the other way round. I would think that a staggered roll out means Disney at least has some sense of “maybe this won’t work like we thought it would”.

DL and WDW had different FP systems before the pandemic. I don’t know why all of a sudden they want the same system across the board. Still holding onto a glimmer of hope that they at least do away with the one LL per attraction limit and we get something that actually loosely resembles a Maxpass 2.0. Sigh.

I'm back... so I thought I would look over this again... It went something like this... okay... okay.... got that.... hummm... okay well I think I got it.... huh.... okay let me go back over that, huh... ARGHHHHHH........ well nope... just not understanding any of this...

Since I am a AP holder at WDW this really won't effect me right now if ever, I sure down the line they will offer AP holders some type of add on and who know what the cost of that will be...

I am looking forward to our trip in March to Disneyland... this will be something that I will want to understand the benefits of before buying tickets... and what to buy, and how to set it all up...

@BadPinkTink Thank you so much for pulling together so much information.

Just to be sure, am I correct that there is no tool offered -- whether free or for purchase -- that allows one to repeat an attraction, other than to get in the stand-by lane?

I ask because we have a lot of motion sickness in our family and so we repeat our few "safe" attractions multiple times per day. From what I'm understanding, it's stand-by or nothing for repeats.

Many, many thanks to anyone who can pin this down for me and others who might be confused. :earsgirl:

Just to be sure, am I correct that there is no tool offered -- whether free or for purchase -- that allows one to repeat an attraction, other than to get in the stand-by lane?

Many, many thanks to anyone who can pin this down for me and others who might be confused. :earsgirl:

You are welcome :) theres so much confusion so as I was finding info I just decided it would be easier to have it all in place.

My plan to repeat rides is to use standby in the morning when wait times are low and Lightning lanes in the afternoon and evening, and also to use single rider.

For example, on Radiator Springs Racers, book a Lightning Lane and then do single rider before and after it.

I ask because we have a lot of motion sickness in our family and so we repeat our few "safe" attractions multiple times per day. From what I'm understanding, it's stand-by or nothing for repeats.

Yes, no repeats other than standby, unless they change it for the Disneyland rollout.

There seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding the 'no repeats' so I know I'm in the minority but, it seems to me that not allowing repeats makes things fairer for everyone. I'll be thrilled if I can get on RSR et al once a day and if limiting re-visits allows more to ride at least once per day then, IMO, it's a good thing.

There seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding the 'no repeats' so I know I'm in the minority but, it seems to me that not allowing repeats makes things fairer for everyone. I'll be thrilled if I can get on RSR et al once a day and if limiting re-visits allows more to ride at least once per day then, IMO, it's a good thing.

I understand what you're saying and to an extent I agree.

My problem is that those of us who cannot ride all the G+ rides are, in essence, paying more for less.

There are a total of 19 G+ rides at DL/DCA. Of these 19, I cannot 'safely' ride 4 unless I want to take chances with motion sickness and a ruined day. This leaves me 15 rides for $20 or about $1.33 per ride. I know that's still 'cheap', but someone who can ride all of them is paying $1.05 per ride.

I'm lucky in that Scopolamine works for me or it would probably be 6 'no rides' for me, making the cost of G+ even more expensive per ride. I really feel for those whose motion sickness is really bad, have a phobia of coasters, or whose children won't get the full benefit of G+ because of height requirements. Many of them probably won't even opt for G+ because they feel it's just not worth it.

I think it would have been better for Disney to set it up so that you pay on a sliding scale for the rides you can ride (so G+ would cost me around $15.75 for 15 passes) or give 19 passes for $20 to be used as one chooses. I'd be able to use my 4 'extras' to re-ride the rides I'm able to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter