Updated Palo Menu

Any chance we find out if they passed or not?

I think someone stated those are all cast members, so we might not get much insight from them (as opposed to the UK sailings, where people are free to post what they want on social media etc. without NDAs. I could be wrong, but I think that's the sentiment.

But that was to make a change to dining, something that you used to go to a dining hall to do, and not GS. She didn’t say that you had to make an appointment for every interaction with GS.
I specifically asked the menu question to someone on the test cruise and ALL restaurants do have paper menus that your waiter will provide. Again, COMMON SENSE is that Palo is not going to have a situation where you sit down, find out you don’t have a phone, and tell you sorry go down to Deck 3/4 and get an appointment for GS to get a paper menu and then come back for your table.
The absolutism on some of these posts is getting goofy and is spreading a lot of misinformation.

It is indeed the case that to go to GS you have to book an appointment. There is a QR code by the desk and a sign to remind people. One of my friends was on the first real cruise out at the end of last week and wanted to pick up a second lanyard (they only give one per stateroom currently) and had to contact GS via the app. Lots of things however didn't need an appointment you just had to message via the app and they storted which I assume they would do if you had a broken key etc.

I agree that I think most of the restaurants including Palo would need a back up plan in case people's cell phones break etc.

I am not a fan of a phone at dinner but it is the way of the world now in the UK at least as most places do require a QR menu and not a physical one.

Palo Brunch menu on the Magic.
If this is what the Fantasy will be serving, we will sadly cancel our meal. We loved the old format and as a vegetarian I never felt like a second class passenger. It was the meal where I was always sure I’d have plenty of variety customized to what I eat. So many delicious and healthy vegetarian options on the buffet. This makes me so very sad.590908

Regarding the digital menus, I know people are saying restaurants are already moving that way etc. But for some of us it's a huge problem when dining with kids (who do not have phones) or parents (who do not understand how to do the QR code or can't see the tiny print on a phone) or husbands who refuse to use both QR codes and apps. So even in regular restaurants (or at the parks) it's a huge problem and annoying to be the only person at a table of 5 people who has the menu on their phone and have to pass MY phone around. And as I type this I have a low battery with normal use, not extended screen time from a group of people studying a menu. Real life is stressful, cruise life shouldn't be.

Regarding the digital menus, I know people are saying restaurants are already moving that way etc. But for some of us it's a huge problem when dining with kids (who do not have phones) or parents (who do not understand how to do the QR code or can't see the tiny print on a phone) or husbands who refuse to use both QR codes and apps. So even in regular restaurants (or at the parks) it's a huge problem and annoying to be the only person at a table of 5 people who has the menu on their phone and have to pass MY phone around. And as I type this I have a low battery with normal use, not extended screen time from a group of people studying a menu. Real life is stressful, cruise life shouldn't be.

Many restaurants do have physical menus you can request for these types of situations. Not sure if DCL does, or if they will as things creep back towards normalcy, but that is an option at many places.

Palo Brunch menu on the Magic.
If this is what the Fantasy will be serving, we will sadly cancel our meal. We loved the old format and as a vegetarian I never felt like a second class passenger. It was the meal where I was always sure I’d have plenty of variety customized to what I eat. So many delicious and healthy vegetarian options on the buffet. This makes me so very sad.View attachment 590908

My wife is a vegetarian and used to love Palo but we will not be going back. We are considering brunch. How is what you posted different than the past?

My wife is a vegetarian and used to love Palo but we will not be going back. We are considering brunch. How is what you posted different than the past?

It used to be a buffet but now it is a set menu with in my opinion limited choice for vegetarians. They used to have mini starters and desserts that were great including a wide selection of cheeses which aren't covered on the new menu

The buffet area would start with a large selection of different types of breads - sweet and savory, all types of cheeses, warm sticky buns, fresh berries and a bowl of freshly whipped cream. Middle table held sections of king crab legs, chilled matinated scallops, mini shrimp cocktail, various other small fish mousse offerings, ahi tuna and the fixings for a nisoise (sp) salad, next table covered thin sliced Italian meat selections, various marinated vegetables, greens and salad dressings, other savory selections. Dessert table contained chocolate covered strawberries, mini servings of various flavored mousses, tiramisu, cake squares, mini canoli, champagne gelatin with fresh berries, and a few items I’m sure I missed.
then you selected the entree items from the menu. The entree items were pretty much the same as current menu.

I think my question here is - is it still all I care to eat & order?

Yeah I still am not clear on this either. I have seen people just ordering one from each section on the menu but not spotted if anyone went back to order something else again or anything.

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Are you saying guests that need GS for the hundreds of different things from being locked out of their rooms, losing their KTTW, needing to update billing, report a problem, etc are unable to go to Guest Services? There is no way that Disney is saying without a cell phone you cannot go to Guest Services. People on the UK test cruise even reported long lines at GS during disembarkation.

This seems like hyperbole and would mean that without a cell phone you couldn’t ever get a menu -since you couldn’t get a paper one without booking time at GS on said nonexistent cell phone.
DCL may have embraced new technology (which is a joke to any of us that have actually been on a cruise) but they have yet to tell customers that a cell phone is an absolute requirement for cruising.
I sure hope it's not an absolute requirement to use their app for everything. I wasn't able to use the DCL or MDE or even my Hong Kong Disney apps for the last 3 days. DCL wasn't any help (they really tried, so no complaints, but they weren't able to fix the issue). Magically, just yesterday, they all started working for me again. I think the apps are a good tool, but they should always have other options as well.

I sure hope it's not an absolute requirement to use their app for everything. I wasn't able to use the DCL or MDE or even my Hong Kong Disney apps for the last 3 days. DCL wasn't any help (they really tried, so no complaints, but they weren't able to fix the issue). Magically, just yesterday, they all started working for me again. I think the apps are a good tool, but they should always have other options as well.
They'll give you paper menus if you ask for them (that was mentioned in DCL's written guidelines for resuming cruising), just like they currently do at WDW. I plan to do that as I'm not going to carry my phone around everywhere when cruising. That would be more annoying to me than wearing a mask indoors. Cruising is our opportunity to truly be unplugged. I also like being hands-free, purse-free onboard, and my skirts don't have pockets.

So I am trying to estimate how the deal would work for a Platinum cruiser who wants to order a la carte?
Presuming they don't go with the Pris Fixe menu, do they begin with a $45 credit per person?

So I am trying to estimate how the deal would work for a Platinum cruiser who wants to order a la carte?
Presuming they don't go with the Pris Fixe menu, do they begin with a $45 credit per person?
[/QUOTE/]
That is my understanding…..$45 credit toward a la carte selections. If selections total more than $45 you pay difference. If it’s under $45 you do not get a refund.

Palo meals are probably a loss leader for DCL who hope to make a profit on alcohol sales - like everyone else they are using "these unprecedented times" to reset and recalibrate. Now instead of taking a loss on food, they can make profit on alcohol AND food! Win / Win for DCL as passengers pay premiums for yet another locked down / watered down experience... sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter