UPDATED! They've Been Some Long Ones! Nov. 9-23, 2008 PLUS 2006, 2007 & now WDW 2009!

:wave2: Well hello there mariezp. What a great Trip Report and with all those pictures.
You also have a family that seems to get along pretty well. This report made it seem so real, I felt like I was really there. Again thanks for sharing.:thumbsup2

:wave2: Jennifer! How exciting! Your first trip to the park is gonna be so much fun!

I am glad you enjoyed my report and if you have any questions I would be more than happy to try to help.

You may have to swap me some tips for WDW! My DS has come up with the idea that we should check out Florida this year. Not so sure.... it looks scary!

:wave2: Sukie! So glad you decided to take a detour from the TK thread to check out my report. It was my pleasure sharing our trip and thank you for coming along with us! ;)

The food is okay but I think we all agreed that there are other places we would rather eat in the park so it’s off next year’s list to make room for something else. I had the ½ turkey sandwich and loaded baked potato soup. Both were fine but nothing really overly impressive.

Marie, give the Carnation Cafe another try for a late Breakfast (after MM). Several great choices to choose from (including Mickey Waffles for adults AND for kids). Every item we've had there is good at B'fast.

Fabulous pictures & report, Marie. :thumbsup2

Hound, I may just have to do that! While I am not much of a big breakfast eater DH would probably love it. I will have to check out their menu and see if it looks worth giving them another chance.

Although :scratchin ... I don't mind taking something off of my must-do-list every now and then so I can add another choice. There are just too many possibilities to do them all in one trip.... even our LONG trip.

Glad you enjoyed reading along with me. Thanks!

Okay Hound, I'm convinced! I took a quick peek at the Carnation Cafe breakfast menu and it looks like it should go over well for a late breakfast. DH would LOVE Oscar's Choice, I could go for a Sticky Bun and DS would really enjoy the Fruit Yogurt Granola Parfait. DD could have the Minnie’s Junior Scramble and would probably end up eating better than she would if we waited for lunch. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hound, I may just have to do that! While I am not much of a big breakfast eater DH would probably love it. I will have to check out their menu and see if it looks worth giving them another chance.

Although :scratchin ... I don't mind taking something off of my must-do-list every now and then so I can add another choice. There are just too many possibilities to do them all in one trip.... even our LONG trip.

Glad you enjoyed reading along with me. Thanks!

Marie, We usually have at least one meal at Carnation every trip (even going back as far as the '90s), so it has definitely been a favorite in the past, but like I said earlier in this thread (or was it my TR thread? I can't recall!!!:rotfl2: ), I have kind of burnt out on it now. I find their menu to be pretty limited with NOT a lot of choices, and that is especially true for breakfast, in my opinion. We usually eat there for lunch or dinner, and that is limited enough, but this last trip it was for breakfast. It was good, but not great. My friend thought so too. In fact, she said, "Well, now we know not to eat here for breakfast." I think it is worth it for you to try one time for breakfast and maybe you will love it - a lot of people (like Hound) do - but I think I may skip Carnation on my next trip and try something else. It was just starting to get a little old and a change of scenery wouldn't be a bad thing! I know I will go back there again in the future - in fact, we have even gone there before for dessert only - but a large part of why we like it is because it has a certain charm to it due to the location and atmosphere. It is not all about the food. I like restaurants with LOTS of choices and extensive menus, so I don't feel like I have to order the same thing every time. I want to feel like there are 20 things I could order that I would like and can change it up a bit. And Carnation just doesn't have that kind of variety.

P.S. We both ate Oscar's Choice. It was decent. Nothing to rave about for me!

Wow Sherry it's been a few days since I checked in! I hope you didn't think I forgot about you! Thanks for your opinion on Carnation Cafe. Gives me more to ponder. I do agree with you that their menu is pretty limited especially if you aren't that crazy about sandwiches.

I am thinking after our dining experience this year and advice from some of you fellow Disers I will make some adjustments next year. I think I will go with Carnation Cafe for breakfast and Goofy's for dinner. Of course I do still have plenty of time to change my mind before then since I won't get to be back in the park until November again... Or possibly even December.

We did go 3 years ago for the Candlelight Processional during the first week of December. When we got back I vowed never to go again in December because when we got home Christmas flew by and I was so busy I didn't even get to enjoy it. However, after getting back this year and having to rush to do all the decorations, wrapping, etc. right after Thanksgiving my DH suggested that we just go to DL for Christmas so I wouldn't even have to bother with any of it. At first I was thinking "We can't be somewhere else for Christmas!" but the more I think about it the more I am liking the idea! I could totally skip decorating. And, I could budget a certain amount to take DD shopping with while we are there and probably save money and having to do all that wrapping. I could turn DS loose with his allowance and he could do his shopping online and have it waiting for him when we got home. All I would have to do is figure out how to get the extra toys back home. The only downside I can think of would be the crowds but it might very well be worth it! Besides CA is always an option if DL is crowded. Hmmmm....... planning, planning... always planning!

Wow Sherry it's been a few days since I checked in! I hope you didn't think I forgot about you! Thanks for your opinion on Carnation Cafe. Gives me more to ponder. I do agree with you that their menu is pretty limited especially if you aren't that crazy about sandwiches.

I am thinking after our dining experience this year and advice from some of you fellow Disers I will make some adjustments next year. I think I will go with Carnation Cafe for breakfast and Goofy's for dinner. Of course I do still have plenty of time to change my mind before then since I won't get to be back in the park until November again... Or possibly even December.

We did go 3 years ago for the Candlelight Processional during the first week of December. When we got back I vowed never to go again in December because when we got home Christmas flew by and I was so busy I didn't even get to enjoy it. However, after getting back this year and having to rush to do all the decorations, wrapping, etc. right after Thanksgiving my DH suggested that we just go to DL for Christmas so I wouldn't even have to bother with any of it. At first I was thinking "We can't be somewhere else for Christmas!" but the more I think about it the more I am liking the idea! I could totally skip decorating. And, I could budget a certain amount to take DD shopping with while we are there and probably save money and having to do all that wrapping. I could turn DS loose with his allowance and he could do his shopping online and have it waiting for him when we got home. All I would have to do is figure out how to get the extra toys back home. The only downside I can think of would be the crowds but it might very well be worth it! Besides CA is always an option if DL is crowded. Hmmmm....... planning, planning... always planning!

I figured you would get back over to the Trip Report side of things sooner or later! I think I even replied to you in my TR again, with more Shutterfly thoughts, but I can't recall now. Maybe I just thought I did!!!

Yes, I think it would be worth it for you to try Carnation again, for breakfast. We just weren't bowled over by the breakfast and prefer the lucnh or dinner, but most people who have eaten breakfast at Carnation seem to like it a lot, so you will likely enjoy it too. And if you don't, then you know not to go back. Now see, with Goofy's, I am such a die-hard Goofy's breakfast fan (for almost 17 years!!!) that I can't even imagine trying their dinner again, which I wasn't impressed with in the first place. But that was such a LONG time ago. Someone on another thread just posted a recent list of the food choices available at Goofy's for dinner these days, and I am thinking it is time for a return visit for dinner!! It looks like some good stuff! So you guys will probabaly really enjoy the dinner, expensive though it is!

I think your Christmas idea sounds great! Skip the decorating and the shopping and the wrapping and just go to Disneyland!! If you go in early December it probaly won't be too crowded yet (maybe you can work around the Candlelight Processional). I don't know for sure but with any luck I will make it back to DLR right around in early-mid December too, so maybe we will be able to meet and take a group Photopass picture together!!

wow looks like fun but it also looks so expenseive im going in april any tips for someone on a low budget

:welcome: Alice_Mushroom97!
Well, it probably wasn't the least expensive trip we have ever taken but well worth it. We do save money by not staying on site which is fine with my bunch because we don't require anything fancy. Also, I have found that you can save quite a bit by booking your hotel as early as you know your dates. Same goes for airline tickets.

Another way to save money is to not eat every meal in the park. We usually dine in the park for lunch but grab something elsewhere for later. If you are really set on keeping a budget you can always prepare something in your room. Bring your own snacks and bring your own bottles of water. We always have groceries delivered. I can get a case of water for about $4. Whereas, in the park, a single bottle of water can cost you $2-$3.

Set a limit for souvenir spending and limit yourself to the number of times you go shopping so you are not tempted to exceed your budget.

Check around for ticket deals. Getawaytoday.com has some nice discounts. If you know you will be back to the park within a year consider purchasing an annual pass because they are an excellent deal.

I am sure there are tons of other suggestions. Just keep doing your research on the boards and you will be ready to go! :cheer2:

Hi Sherry! :wave2: The more I use Shutterfly the better I liked it. I finally got all my photos from the trip uploaded and then ordered a backup cd and prints. I almost fainted when I got my cart total! 1142 pics on the cd but I cut down to 757 prints to save a few bucks on the prints. I seriously doubt anyone else in the family will be interested in all my detail photos like pics of bathroom signs, flowers, light fixtures, etc. so they won't miss them. There was one minor problem that I ran across while doing my photos. It would not upload some of the pictures I had enhanced with DD's Disney software. I guess they had some sort of folter that picked up the Disney logo. Oh well, I am pretty sure I can find a way to print them off separately. This batch should satisfy me for awhile!
I was pleased by the discounts I found before I placed my order because I was able to get free shipping which saved me $34! And, I will get 10% back by going through my ebates account. A penny saved.... :thumbsup2

Guess we will see if DD is even interested in any characters by next year. She did say she wanted to go back to Ariel's...get this... cause she wants some more of the white chocolate seashells! Not the princesses or the food just the dessert. I am like there is no way I am going back there just for candy! So tell me..... ever seen any white chocolate shells at Goofy's? ;)

DH's Christmas idea was to go the week of Christmas specifically so he could get out of having to go to his family's gathering! :sad2: Believe me, I wouldn't mind either. I think he must have been adopted because he is nothing like most of his family.

Anyway, I am going to have to give the December idea more thought. We are really broke right now so everything looks sooooo gloomy! It would save us a little to go back in November before our APs expire. Still, Nov and Dec are a long way off so maybe some big CHANGES will take place to improve our finances. I probably would save money on my Christmas spending if I set a budget and didn't shop from 25 places. Plus it might be fun doing all our shopping just in Downtown Disney.
Another aspect is the fact that DS's birthday is on the 20th. It probably wouldn't be a big deal to him but he might not want to be at DL for his birthday.... hmm.... although he could take advantage of the birthday giveaways.

It would be fun to meet up with you if we went at the same time but I have to warn you that my DH would probably faint :faint: though because you look a lot like his ex-wife!

Okay Sherry you sold me! I have bookmarked both of Disneygrl36's trip reports so I can start reading them in the morning!

I trust you were quite happy that you did this!! What an awesome TR she wrote, eh???

Marie,
I'm sorry I haven't been back to finish the TR (last day) I don't know where I've been! (Darn Twilight girls keeping me all jacked up!) But I will get right on it ASAP ... it gives me something to look forward to besides more :laundy:

Ha ha.. just kidding.. I Haven't had to fold clothes in 4 yrs. Love that DH of mine!!! - hey my heart smiley is MIA :confused3

Anyway.... talk soon, girl! I missed you!

Hi Mel! :wave2: I've missed you too! I know how easy it is to get sidetracked but at least you remembered your priorities, right? :rotfl2: You're back on the boards and that's all that matters!

Yep, Disneygrl36's trip report was really great! Good to read while contemplating whether there will be a WDW trip in our future but my head is still spinning trying to keep up with all the different stuff to do at WDW.

That DH of yours must be a true one of a kind! If my DH did the laundry folding I imagine everything would just get a toss in a drawer. Heck, the minute I even asked him he would probably keel over from laughing so hard! The term household chore is NOT in his vocabulary.

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...rip-report-dec-3-14-lots-photos-part-1-a.html

While waiting we noticed that there are some pretty unusual people in the park. I think we found the most unique characters right their in line with us! Now I know some people find it necessary to make a state statement with the clothing they wear. I often have trouble trying to figure out just what it is they are trying to say! The couple in question were very “unique”. She was very beautiful and the more reserved of the two in her style. He, however, had on bright turquoise blue glasses, skin tight orange pants and a mid drift shirt. They both were wearing face paint. It did give us something to ponder while we were in line.

Marie, why didn't you say hi to Mrs. Hound & I ??

The "mid drift shirt" shows off my 6 pack abs.....doncha think?

:rotfl:

I love the report & all the great pictures. I'm trying to catch up (on page 8) & thanks for the great pics & descriptions of your tour. This is a great trip report....you guys really do a good job of seeing & enjoying all the little things that make DLR great. :thumbsup2

Marie, why didn't you say hi to Mrs. Hound & I ??

The "mid drift shirt" shows off my 6 pack abs.....doncha think?

:rotfl:
Aaaah, so your are one of the trendsetter types! I knew there was something about that fellow that seemed very familiar! Next time I will be sure to say howdy.

I love the report & all the great pictures. I'm trying to catch up (on page 8) & thanks for the great pics & descriptions of your tour. This is a great trip report....you guys really do a good job of seeing & enjoying all the little things that make DLR great. :thumbsup2
Why thank you! I really appreciate each and everyone who has taken the time to read my report... and especially the ones who leave a nice comment. ::yes:: I do try to find something extra special for us to do each trip. Unfortunately, I am running out of new stuff to try! I hope in the not so far future they come up with some new offerings like maybe some new tours or shows BUT even if they don't I am positive we will still be able to find some ways to keep ourselves happy.

I went back and tallied up my ride count. Here's what I came up with.

The big winner was, of course, Pirates!
(13) Pirates
(10) Haunted Mansion & Disneyland Railroad (finally learned to use it to save ourselves from walking so much)
(7) Jungle Cruise & Tiki Room (doesn't exactly a ride but we did it ALOT)
(6) Teacups (I CANNOT believe I rode this many times!)
(5) Alice, Dumbo, KT Carousel
(4) TSMM
(3) Storybookland, Peter Pan, Soarin
(2) Casey Jr, Monorail, KA Carousel, Toad, Nemo, Snow White, Grizzly RR, Monsters Inc, Buzz, Autopia, Pooh, Small World (was not opened for most of our trip or the count would have been higher)
(1) Indy, Heimlich, Lady Bug Boogie, Star Tours, Pinocchio, Roger Rabbit, Big Thunder, Canoes, Splash (only one I missed not doing more)

Okay, Marie! Now that I have almost finished my massive task of scanning, uploading and posting old pictures over on my thread (I am 90% done - I got all the way to posting 2000 and 2001, and if I can just find my few little pictures from the '70s then I will be done with the old stuff and just post new things from here on out), I can get caught up on the various TR's I have subscribed to, like yours. I also replied to you over on my thread too! I am going to make time to read the two TR's you posted the links for! In fact, from what I can tell, it looks like your September 2007 trip to DLR ended just a couple of days before mine began. I was there in 2007 from 9/21- 9/23!!! A near miss!

Oh, and by the way, I never commented on the fact that you said I resemble your husband's ex-wife!! That is hilarious! So if you and I ever happen to be at DLR at the same time and want to meet up briefly, I won't take offense if I suddenly see your husband faint on the ground in front of me!!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: But I know both you and I are unsure if we will make it to DLR this year at all, so perhaps we won't have to deal with that little fainting issue just yet. We will just make sure to meet up close to where the First Aid station is in City Hall!!!

Yeah, travelmel, it is kinda like that! We like to make sure we get enough DL in to last us the whole year!

Hi again, Sherry! Good idea to meet up in front of the first aid! :rotfl2: I don't suppose he would really faint (She's pretty good as far as ex-wives go.) but he might have to do a double take!

Marie, I was just looking over your two older Trip Reports (you provided the links in an earlier post). I wish I could remember all the thoughts that popped to mind as I went through them - I should have jotted them down - but here are a few:

- Your daughter is so cute!!
- You got a lot of great pictures, especially character shots, including Ratatouille and Br'er Bear, which are not common these days.
- I loved the picture of you dancing with Goofy outside of (I think) the Lilo and Stitch breakfast, and the one of your son interacting with Minnie at the Minnie and Friends meal.
- You got a picture of yet another different popcorn-turner dude!
- I cannot believe I misssed the strawberry shortcake! It was probably still being sold at DLR when I went there in September 2007, but I just didn't know it - and now it is gone forever!
- The Jack Sparrow in one of the pictures looks like he is up to no good at all - you can see it in his eyes!!
- What happens in Aladdin's Oasis? I know it is a dinner show sort of like the Tahitian Terrace was, but what is the show like? Is it singing or what happens?
- I totally 100% agree with you about trying at least one new thing on every trip. Even if it is something that 5000 people have done but I have never done, it is still new to me! I try to work in at least one new thing on every trip, be it a new restaurant (though I really like sticking with the tried and true in the food area) or a ride I haven't been on, or a show I haven't seen yet, or taking pictures of things I hadn't thought of before, etc. First of all, there is just not enough time to do EVERYthing on my short trips, but also it helps to keep things fresh and interesting by integrating new things into each trip. So I will hit the Animation Academy one of these days, and I will eventually do the holiday tour!! It is always good to leave some territory unexplored to have something to look forward to for future trips.

If I can remember what other stuff I was going to ask or comment on, I will do it later! Anyway, great reports and pictures, as usual!!!:thumbsup2 :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter