Upgradable Magic Bands

This is absolutely ridiculous! Shame on Disney for the way they are handling this. I have been on the site constantly trying to get 4 magic bands to complete my order. Every time you log on there's different choices that come and go. Now this morning we are back to only colors again. How could they have not known they would need massive amounts of inventory when they kicked this off? Of course we're going to upgrade now rather than paying 20-30 in the parks. I've only got 14 days left to order, we'll see if we can get what we want or if we are stuck with the solid colors again.
I can't imagine trying to get 4. I have been trying to get 2 and I am having issues. It will have 3 of my mom choices but not the one of mine. I finally relented and decided on a backup but my mom choices were gone. Now they are all sold out. I know my trip is the first week of September and they are left at the resort, I don't want a plain band anymore. Not after you said I could upgrade. I am like a kid don't offer me something and take it back lol So even if they screw up I won't know until I get there.

Honestly, I think this is making Disney a little bit of money. I am constantly seeing on these threads people say that they just gave up and bought bands at full price. I wouldn't be surprised if as a result of this fiasco, they have seen an uptick in sold full price bands. I don't think that was their intent in introducing it, but I do think it was an unintended result. What I can't understand is why they haven't seen that limiting the band orders to vacationers with trips within three months would help eliminate some of the frustration from ordering. It's been mentioned over and over again in these threads. It boggles my mind that they haven't introduced those limitations yet.

I have thought the same thing. What a way for Disney to turn lemons into lemonade for themselves. People are getting frustrated and and giving up and buying the MB at retail, where possibly, they wouldn't have done this before this new ordering process started. I know in the past I never thought about buying them for 20 or 25 before, we just used the free ones. Since they announced this, you ask people in the party what they want, they get excited only to have to tell them I can't get them. Especially for those with kids, I wonder how many are now buying them when they have already gotten kids excited about them. I know ultimately it's up to the consumer to buy, but still. Also, they really need to implement ordering time frames, ASAP. It will help the consumer, convey expectations as to when one can order and help them to manage inventory better. Oh well.

So today I called Shop Disney using the phone number on the app. After speaking with a representative for a while explaining my frustration with the whole situation and this is what they had us do and what they did for us (trip starts Aug 1). 1) Place the solid color magic band order and provide them with the order # 2) Provide then my resort confirmation number (ours is paid in full) 3) Go to shopdisney.com and select from any of the $24.99 bands for the 4 of us 4) Pay $40 plus tax with free 2 day shipping

That works. Not all the same bands as were at one time available on MDE, but we are happy with the 4 we now have coming. She did say it was “unprecedented” that they allowed departments to cross to send inventory from one to another’s customer and that they were completely caught off guard by demand.

What I wonder now is if the solid ones will also ship or if they replaced/cancelled the solid color order. Now when I go back to MDE I am back to choose a color. I am not worried about that because I have an order number from shopdisney for the custom ones separate from MDE at the discounted price.

So today I called Shop Disney using the phone number on the app. After speaking with a representative for a while explaining my frustration with the whole situation and this is what they had us do and what they did for us (trip starts Aug 1). 1) Place the solid color magic band order and provide them with the order # 2) Provide then my resort confirmation number (ours is paid in full) 3) Go to shopdisney.com and select from any of the $24.99 bands for the 4 of us 4) Pay $40 plus tax with free 2 day shipping

That works. Not all the same bands as were at one time available on MDE, but we are happy with the 4 we now have coming. She did say it was “unprecedented” that they allowed departments to cross to send inventory from one to another’s customer and that they were completely caught off guard by demand.

What I wonder now is if the solid ones will also ship or if they replaced/cancelled the solid color order. Now when I go back to MDE I am back to choose a color. I am not worried about that because I have an order number from shopdisney for the custom ones separate from MDE at the discounted price.

Did they give you a code or some kind of coupon, or do you just enter the order number, etc?

Did they give you a code or some kind of coupon, or do you just enter the order number, etc?

They took the order over the phone and discounted each of the bands by $15 and placed the order for me. No coupon code emailed or provided as it was not needed for me.

Honestly, I think this is making Disney a little bit of money. I am constantly seeing on these threads people say that they just gave up and bought bands at full price. I wouldn't be surprised if as a result of this fiasco, they have seen an uptick in sold full price bands. I don't think that was their intent in introducing it, but I do think it was an unintended result. What I can't understand is why they haven't seen that limiting the band orders to vacationers with trips within three months would help eliminate some of the frustration from ordering. It's been mentioned over and over again in these threads. It boggles my mind that they haven't introduced those limitations yet.

Yeah, I would hope this isn't some "scheme" that Disney developed to pique people's interest in the upgradeable magic bands. Not only does it boggle the mind that they haven't introduced time limits, what is more incredible to me is they announce this supposed "discount", then say gee whiz we're out of stock, but ... if you'd like to go over to our store we'll certainly sell you one at full price. To me, this is nothing short of fraud, or what do you call it, bait and switch?
If they were out of stock at their store as well I would understand ... but no no, they are only out of stock of the "discounted" ones.
Joining the frustration? Who me? ha ha

Sorry to vent, but it is aggravating. As mentioned, I mean I wouldn't really care personally, but ... as mentioned, once you get the kids excited ... well now it leads to potential disappointment for them.

I kept checking and checking for the three bands we wanted to all be available at the same time... but no, back to plain colors. I have three months to go through so I am okay to wait. It would be nice though if they had some sort of option for the out of stock bands along the lines of "Email me when this item becomes available." It would also be nice if they allowed pre-orders for a future date. But no, as is always the case with Disney they say dance, and I say how hi, and here we are and there's no-one to blame but myself for putting up with this. What can I say? I want to see the look on my four-year-old's face when I show him his very own adorable Olaf band.

I kept checking and checking for the three bands we wanted to all be available at the same time... but no, back to plain colors. I have three months to go through so I am okay to wait. It would be nice though if they had some sort of option for the out of stock bands along the lines of "Email me when this item becomes available." It would also be nice if they allowed pre-orders for a future date. But no, as is always the case with Disney they say dance, and I say how hi, and here we are and there's no-one to blame but myself for putting up with this. What can I say? I want to see the look on my four-year-old's face when I show him his very own adorable Olaf band.

I feel the same way. The thought of seeing my 3 year olds face when he sees his toy story band with his new favorite forky is what drove me to keep trying to get the purchase made. It definitely took a lot of trying! Our August trip can’t come soon enough! Good luck with your MB search!

Just to update, I did get my Magic Bands today. I ordered them last Friday when the site kept going up and down. I had 6 people but could only order 2, which were the two we wanted more than the others. I have to say the order was complete and correct. It was a pleasant surprise. I got the 4 colored bands, with the correct names on it, and also got the new style Haunted Mansion black band with the purple wall paper "faces". No Haunted Mansion text on it but looks pretty nice and unique. We also had ordered the white castle band as well. So while I wish I could have gotten a few more that we really had wished for, I am happy to get the two. We will just buy a few more when were down there if there are some special ones that catch our eyes (or not).

Hey! I know they now have cool upgradable magic bands (for $10) for hotel guests. I also know they are mostly sold out now and when they are refereshed they sell out very quickly. I was wondering if there is a list somewhere online of ALL the available options, so that my kids can pick out what they want ahead of time and I can hopefully snag them some day when they are refreshed? But I am anal and need to know all my options (can't just get the Belle one only to find out I could have got Ariel had I waited etc.) I did a quick google search, and only found generic articles with a few of the options, but I am looking for something comprehensive.

Thanks for any help!
Not sure if you still need this, but Tom has them all pictured on Disney Tourist Blog here.

Oh I'm excited, I got a new high score on the pick your favorite magic band game today! I know you guys aren't going to believe this but ... I actually got all five of our preferred magic bands under each name, wow. Of course attempting checkout wiped out my high score, sigh, back down to 2 out of 5 and I'm certain those will be gone soon too, sigh.....
Leave in less than 2 weeks ... luckily a split stay so we do have a set of the solid colors already here.

My bands arrived, exactly as ordered.

I just checked for the second part of our split stay and there are quite a few styles available now (just not the one I need).

I just checked out with our 3 upgraded band choices and only 2 went though. :headache: I went back to my order to try and just pick a solid color and the whole page is down. Ugh. It was my band that didn't go through. I wonder what I'll get, or if I'll even get one.

Wow, the Disney Parks theme bands go fast. I didn't get a Dole whip, but I'll be very happy with Sorcerer Mickey.

Wow, the Disney Parks theme bands go fast. I didn't get a Dole whip, but I'll be very happy with Sorcerer Mickey.
Awww, yeah that Pineapple swirl is the one that my daughter really wants and it's the one that blew up our order today. Now we only have one of our pics remaining ... The Epcot one seemed to go pretty fast as well and that's the one my son wants. Both very popular apparently.

Awww, yeah that Pineapple swirl is the one that my daughter really wants and it's the one that blew up our order today. Now we only have one of our pics remaining ... The Epcot one seemed to go pretty fast as well and that's the one my son wants. Both very popular apparently.
My DH wanted the Epcot one too! When it was unavailable he went for Donald. I hope your son gets it though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter