Upgrade Stories!

scorpsfan

Mouseketeer
I want to hear all about your upgrades if you've been lucky enough to get one while checking into your resort! Of course, we would love to try anything that may help us to get one too! I know nothing is a guarantee but it doesn't hurt to try. Did you do anything out of the ordinary? Did you request one? Did you just look happy in your matching Disney shirts? haha I want the details! Thanks :)

On our very first visit to Cabana Bay at Universal, I noted that it was our first ever visit to Universal Studios and it happened to be when it was my Birthday (that I happened to mention as to why we were visiting). They upgraded me from a Standard Room (parking lot view) to a Pool View room. Not a huge upgrade but it was nice none the less.

I wish! We have had only one stay at Disney; one stay at Universal Orlando; one stay outside Disneyland; and one cruise.

Never have we ever been upgraded.

When we stayed at Cabana Bay Beach Resort (Universal) this past February, we got upgraded from a Standard room to a pool side family suite. I didn't even know I got the upgrade until we got to our room, the clerk checking us in didn't say anything about it. No upgrades when we stayed at Pop Century or Port Orleans French Quarter on the same trip.

We were booked at Port Orleans french quarter last November for Wine and Dine run weekend. Got upgraded to a one bedroom at Old Key West. Gorgeous new room with full kitchen and laundry (which was much appreciated given the running). Old Key West is a favourite of mine so I was thrilled.

When I went to Disneyland in 2017 we had booked a premium view Club level room for 1 night at Paradise Pier Hotel and 4 nights at Standard club level room. We had to check out of the premium room on the Monday morning and recheck into the standard room that afternoon but when I went to check out they said that we got to keep the same room but at the standard level rate. Guess me telling them it was my retirement trip got me some pixie dust. It was nice because we got the bonus rice krispie treat that night as well because they thought that we were new guests.

In Aug 2019 we booked a "split stay". We surprised our kids with a 1 night stay at Art Of Animation resort. We had previously stayed at all other value resorts, but never Art Of Animation. We booked 1 night in the Little Mermaid rooms. Disney surprised us with a free upgrade to a Cars Suite room.. It was awesome to have 2 full bathrooms, and 3 beds.

While at one of the waterparks we ran into somebody who used to work for Disney looking after fitting everybody into the appropriate rooms for their lengths of stay. She told us that it was like a big Tetris game where all of the pieces needed to fit. If they were tight on rooms they would look for somebody with a 1 night stay and give them a free upgrade. She also said that they would look for people who had travelled a longer distance and give them the upgrade. We came from Canada, so we fit the bill completely for the upgrade.

We loved the upgrade...

On my family’s very first trip to WDW in 2008, we booked an outer building standard room at the Grand Floridian. Just before we arrived, I checked my reservation and noted that it said “Sugar Loaf Building....which is their outer Club Level building!! It was part of their year of a million dreams promotion!

Also on our family’s very first trip to Disneyland, we had a reservation for a regular room at the Disneyland Hotel. When I went to check in, they told me I had been pleasantly upgraded to a corner suite!!!

We have been very lucky.

Last edited:
Have never had an upgrade at disney, and have never asked for one. I always joke with my hubby that I'm pretty sure this is the time we'll get upgraded to a Poly suite, or castle view at contemporary. He just laughs.
Once while travelling for work I was upgraded to 1 one bedroom suite at a Hilton. Bigger than my first apartment! Unfortunately I only was there one night, so didn't have time to enjoy it.

Unfortunately, DVC does not do upgrade.

They can't - by design it should be running at close to 100% capacity so there's nowhere to upgrade you to.

Our only Disney upgrade happened before we became DVC - our very first stay at CBR we were upgraded to a pirate room.

I was once told free upgrades are often given to people with short reservations vs week long ones. They use them to fill the gaps. While staying at CSR, our friends we were also staying there for 3 nights got upgraded to business class room. It was a total surprise for them (was their first visit to WDW also).

I've been upgraded from standard or pool view to savanna view at AKL a few times, all on 7+-day stays. Most of these upgrades were total, unasked-for surprises. One was a situation where I'd booked a standard view because there were no savanna views available (I booked it the day before I arrived) and when I checked in I mentioned this and they switched me to a savanna view room at no extra charge. I was surprised and very very pleased.

OP, you can always ask, but be aware that inherent in asking for an upgrade is also asking to pay more for the upgraded room category. I've done that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter