Upgrade worth it?

tinkandonaldfans

DIS Veteran
We have a deluxe family ocean view stateroom on the wish. I called to see how much it would be to upgrade to a verandah and was quoted $120 for a deluxe room or $400 for a deluxe family room with verandah!

Is the deluxe family room worth it? We’re a family of three (2adults and a 6 year old) doing the three night cruise

Do you mean a verandah room versus a family verandah - I'm assuming by deluxe you mean with verandah? IMO, for two adults and one child, the family room, while larger, isn't absolutely necessary. We stayed in one once with just two adults and a lot of the storage was empty and the extra length of the room was unused. And that was for a 10-day cruise. If it's only a 3-day cruise, I'd say upgrade to the verandah but not the verandah family.

For three nights I'd say no. That's really only 2 days on the ship. How much time are you going to be in your room? Are you going to be worried about 6 yo out on verandah?

I agree with upgrading to verandah for $150 but for 3 you do not need the family sized room. We love a verandah, even for a shorter cruise.

Last time we chose interior as we were sailing (RCCL) out of NJ in December but next year went back to a verandah. Well worth the extra $150 for you I feel.

I am not a big verandah user, but if you would like to see how much you like and utilize one, $120 additional to get a verandah is not a big $ bite. Just $40 more per night.

The two questions are
Would the location of the new cabin be okay? (Not over a theater or under the pool deck?
Any concerns about extra effort watching the kid on the balcony?

The difference between a veranda room and a family room with veranda is the width of the bed that pulls down from the wall. If the 2 adults intend to share the double bed, you don't need that extra bed and probably don't need the extra storage space.

Whether to get a veranda is a personal choice. If you think you'll want to sit outside, it may be worth $120, but there are also plenty of other outdoor places on the ship.

Isn't that for 2 full days. That's $60 per. On a short cruise will you really be spending $60 your time each day on the verandah ?
If it were a longer cruise I vote yes but on this cruise I suspect you will be busy elsewhere.
Use that $120 and create some fun memories for your 6 year old. Unless of course the 6 year old is going to cherish the memory of sitting on the verandah for hours.

We're a family of 3 with a teenager daughter. We've sailed in all 3 categories, starting when my dd was 6 yrs old. I wouldn't pick the family verandah for just 3 nights. I am an overpacker and there is plenty of space in the regular verandah cabin. Another poster brought up a good point about the location of the cabins. We were once under a restaurant's kitchen. It sounded like bowling balls were being dropped above our cabin from 11pm-2am. Location of the cabin is more importat than size in my opinion. I never book a cabin under any public areas, I don't care how much cheaper it may be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter