Upgrading MYW to AP: Will I lose my free dining?

SRUAlmn

DIS Veteran
Resurrecting this thread to ask a similar question! We were going to buy APs this year but we were able to get free dining so we didn’t but would like to upgrade to APs when we go. If we’re already booked with free dining and we upgrade to an AP during our stay, will we lose our free dining for the rest of the week? Thanks!!

Resurrecting this thread to ask a similar question! We were going to buy APs this year but we were able to get free dining so we didn’t but would like to upgrade to APs when we go. If we’re already booked with free dining and we upgrade to an AP during our stay, will we lose our free dining for the rest of the week? Thanks!!
No, you will not lose your dining. I did this a few years ago and did not lose my dining credits after upgrading.

@SRUAlmn - FYI, I moved your post to a new thread vs that 4 year old thread just to avoid any confusion for other posters reading along. Many TPAS posters just look at the first post and might not see your question. :-)

Thanks for asking, we were planning to do the same thing and had the same question.

Thanks for asking, we were planning to do the same thing and had the same question.
Yay! I actually wanted to do it a few days prior to going to wed hve Memory Maker applied and active before our trip but I’m worried if we did it before checking in then we would lose our free dining? Anyone have any info on this alternate scenario? Or can you only upgrade to an AP in person and then we couldn’t do it beforehand anyway?

We did this last year and were told we had to check in first to keep our free dining and then we were able to upgrade to our APs after that.

Yay! I actually wanted to do it a few days prior to going to wed hve Memory Maker applied and active before our trip but I’m worried if we did it before checking in then we would lose our free dining? Anyone have any info on this alternate scenario? Or can you only upgrade to an AP in person and then we couldn’t do it beforehand anyway?

It's been a while since I've been, but you always had to upgrade tickets in person. We would head to Guest Relations on arrival and upgrade my ticket. I'd have Memory Maker active pretty much from the start, since all of the Photopass/ride pics showed up once we got to a park. I'd always upgrade before checking in because I was using an AP room discount. In your case, check in and then upgrade at the park/DS.

Don't worry with APs, memory Maker is activated instantly with your AP as far as I am aware, it isn't like prepurchasing memory Maker where you have to do in advance to save money.

We did this last year and were told we had to check in first to keep our free dining and then we were able to upgrade to our APs after that.
Since it is possible to "check-in" on-line well in advance of arrival, (and most savvy guests do that) the particular point about "after check-in" is actually moot.

But, the upgrade to AP can be done after arrival at WDW and the "Free Dining" will remain intact.

I actually wanted to do it a few days prior to going to wed hve Memory Maker applied and active before our trip...
No need to worry about that.
The AP will "unlock" Memory Maker retroactively, prior to your arrival date.

It's been a while since I've been, but you always had to upgrade tickets in person. We would head to Guest Relations on arrival and upgrade my ticket. I'd have Memory Maker active pretty much from the start, since all of the Photopass/ride pics showed up once we got to a park. I'd always upgrade before checking in because I was using an AP room discount. In your case, check in and then upgrade at the park/DS.

Don't worry with APs, memory Maker is activated instantly with your AP as far as I am aware, it isn't like prepurchasing memory Maker where you have to do in advance to save money.

Since it is possible to "check-in" on-line well in advance of arrival, (and most savvy guests do that) the particular point about "after check-in" is actually moot.

But, the upgrade to AP can be done after arrival at WDW and the "Free Dining" will remain intact.

No need to worry about that.
The AP will "unlock" Memory Maker retroactively, prior to your arrival date.

Thanks everyone! So as long as we upgrade in WDW any time on our arrival day we should be able to keep our dining plan and also have Memory Maker begin right away? That’s fabulous! Thanks so much!!

I think that we will also be doing this on our free dining trip this year. I have added memory maker onto my package now, so i should call and have that removed prior to our payoff, is that correct?

Thanks everyone!
1. So as long as we upgrade in WDW any time on our arrival day we should be able to keep our dining plan
2. and also have Memory Maker begin right away? That’s fabulous!
3. Thanks so much!!
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. :thumbsup2 Have fun!

I think that we will also be doing this on our free dining trip this year. I have added memory maker onto my package now,

so i should call and have that removed prior to our payoff, is that correct?
You can do that, if you like.
You could also wait and get a "refund" when you do the upgrade to AP.
(But, one less thing to have to "see about" after you arrive may be easier.)

I think that we will also be doing this on our free dining trip this year. I have added memory maker onto my package now, so i should call and have that removed prior to our payoff, is that correct?

Absolutely. No point in giving them that money any earlier ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter