Upgrading Room Category at Time of Check In

closetmickey

DIS Veteran
Has anyone tried to upgrade their room category at time of check in? If allowed, do they charge you the difference in rate at your time of booking or will it be much more (maybe based on a last minute non discounted rate)? We extended our stay by a night at the CR when the less expensive garden wing room became available but wondering if we will regret it and want to move back to a tower room- if available, of course. We will be there the last weekend in February.

The general rule of thumb is if you ask, expect to be charged the going rate for that category.

Has anyone tried to upgrade their room category at time of check in? If allowed, do they charge you the difference in rate at your time of booking or will it be much more (maybe based on a last minute non discounted rate)? We extended our stay by a night at the CR when the less expensive garden wing room became available but wondering if we will regret it and want to move back to a tower room- if available, of course. We will be there the last weekend in February.
You will be charged the difference between what you paid for your room and the rack rate (no discounts) for the new room.

Expect to be charged and be very happy if you are not. I've checked for upgrades at check-in on several occasions, always anticipating paying the difference. Twice we've paid, once we were given an upgrade at no cost. At no point did I expect it, but it was a very nice gesture! Most times we do this because it wasn't available when we initially booked the trip. For example, CL at Wilderness Lodge was fully booked when we checked online but when we arrived they had a room available and we paid the difference. I will say, I rather prefer the Garden Wing rooms at Contemporary. They are so much more peaceful and it feels like a nice calming escape from the chaos! =)

We are planning to pay the difference. Was just wondering which rate they would use- makes a difference on whether we would consider it or not.:) Thanks everyone!

You will be charged the difference between what you paid for your room and the rack rate (no discounts) for the new room.
My experience is that you are charged the difference between room categories at rack rate, not the difference between what you paid (if you got a discount) and the new room category at rack rate.

At CR last weekend, our friends were told $55/night to upgrade from the garden wing. Our friends asked just out of pure curiosity. I know that was less than what it would have been when they booked through WDW. I want to say there was a $75-100 difference.

We asked for an upgrade at check-in at BWV. We had a studio booked and asked if there was a 1BR available and there was. We offered to spend the extra points difference but we're told that wouldn't be necessary. You can always ask. The worst they'll say is no.

We asked for an upgrade at check-in at BWV. We had a studio booked and asked if there was a 1BR available and there was. We offered to spend the extra points difference but we're told that wouldn't be necessary. You can always ask. The worst they'll say is no.
You're the DVC owner, right? Just wanted to clarify - in case someone renting points might get the incorrect impression that they're at liberty to request a villa size upgrade at checkin and offer to pay the difference. There have been reports here of renters requesting that, the front desk agreeing, and the owner's points being charged without their consent :oops:.

2019 at Pop. I was told at check-in they had a pool view open up. I was asked if I was interested? I said yes, depending on the $$$. It was five dollars more a night. I had forgone room service which netted me a 60 dollar gift card. I was still ahead and loved the room and location. I was pleased the cast member posed the question and allowed me the choice.

2019 at Pop. I was told at check-in they had a pool view open up. I was asked if I was interested? I said yes, depending on the $$$. It was five dollars more a night. I had forgone room service which netted me a 60 dollar gift card. I was still ahead and loved the room and location. I was pleased the cast member posed the question and allowed me the choice.
That’s the good thing about upgrading at a Value.
The cost between room categories per night is generally neglible. :)
You’ll feel the pain at Deluxe.:P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter