US Olympic athlete with Mexican flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who disagree with it or who don't understand it, it's because you don't know what it's like to identify with two countries. This athelete does, and trust me when I tell you he has his reasons for doing it and his reasons are very valid.

I don't see it as a matter of patriotism. He was competing in an athletic event as a member of a specific team. As a result, I do not agree with him choosing to carry two flags. One that represented him team and one that represented a competing team.

Had he just won the Boston Marathon where he competed as an individual and not as a member of a team, I would see nothing wrong with carrying two flags.

And for the record, no bunched panties over here! :woohoo:

This is how I feel about it also. At the Olympics, he's on a team representing the United States, not Mexico. Mexico has its own athletes. I can understand he feels a strong connection to Mexico but, I think he showed it in the wrong way.

In 1980 and 1992 Individuals did compete under the white Olympic flag. There are a few independents this year, but I did not see what if any flag they were under.

In the opening ceremonies they walked in under the olympic flag. I believe three walked in but there were four all together.

Those who disagree with it or who don't understand it, it's because you don't know what it's like to identify with two countries. This athelete does, and trust me when I tell you he has his reasons for doing it and his reasons are very valid.

What bothers me has nothing to do with countries. It's all about the team he represented.

When Olympians win/medal, I wonder are they thinking about themselves or the country they represent? Who are they happier for? Themselves or the country they represent? I think we are putting too much emphasis on team, when they are probably thinking of their own achievement and not that of Team USA.

Uh, I never said that I did disagree with him. Nor did I say it should invalidate his belief. And frankly, I'm not even sure where you're coming up with that. He went to the Olympic games representing the USA. He trained on the USA Olympic team. The flag should be USA. It's not patriotic, it's not supposed to be controversial.
Had he chosen to only display the Mexican flag, I would likely agree with you. That's not what he did, however. He prominently and proudly displayed the American flag and also held the Mexican flag.

What bothers me has nothing to do with countries. It's all about the team he represented.
The team he represented doesn't appear to have a single problem with his actions.

No not everyone has said that he has the right. One even went so far as said he/she would never allow him to race for the USA again if he/she were in the power to do so.

I never said I was smarter, I just would rather live in a global community than one that is so xenophobic.
I, for one, said he had the right to carry the Mexican flag if he wanted to. I have no problem with him carrying the flag.

Perhaps it is just a semantics thing, but it rubs me the wrong way that he said he carried the flag because he was representing both countries. If he had said he was proud of his heritage, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But if you choose to wear the US uniform, march in the opening ceremonies under the US flag, accept the god-awful ugly clothing given to you by the US, accept the money from the US for your flight to London and your room and board in the athlete village, and all the perks that go with representing the US, it is a slap in the face to the country supporting you when you say you represent another country in addition.

Again, for me it is semantics. Proud of your heritage, good for you.

Saying you represent another country, shame on you.

Still, Im a HUGE homer. I'm the first one out there yelling USA, getting teary eyed every time I hear the anthem. I get bothered by people not taking off their hats and talking during the anthem. I love the red, white and blue and always have a flag hanging outside my house.

That said, this still doesn't bother me. Off to watch the Diving comp now and then Paige McPherson go for the Tae Kwon Do medal!

We don't know that Team USA didn't have a problem with it. He could have been told privately to not do that again & to tone down the Mexico connection.

When Olympians win/medal, I wonder are they thinking about themselves or the country they represent? Who are they happier for? Themselves or the country they represent? I think we are putting too much emphasis on team, when they are probably thinking of their own achievement and not that of Team USA.

Could be that in the moment of winning not all Olympians are thinking of their country or team. I can't even fault them for that but that doesn't change the fact that the Olympics is a team competition.

Had he chosen to only display the Mexican flag, I would likely agree with you. That's not what he did, however. He prominently and proudly displayed the American flag and also held the Mexican flag.

The team he represented doesn't appear to have a single problem with his actions.

So? That means no one can have an opinion? :lmao:

I think it depends on the sport. Track & Field is very much an individual sport at the professional level even though in the Olympics you are under a team banner. I view it much more as an individual medal, not a team medal (relays aside of course).

I would bet money that most of the athletes there identify much more with their sponsors than their team. It is just the way professional track works. Watch a Diamond League event and while the country of the participants is listed they are wearing jerseys of their sponsors and that is who is paying their salary, not teams as in other sports. I think a lot of people don't watch track year round and only watch it once every four years so they just don't have the same perspective. It is a different beast.

Without getting into a tirade about balkanization (which would be verbotten here), there is a big difference between being proud of your cultural heritage vs. having to continually broadcast it. I may happen to have ancestors who came to North America almost three hundred years ago on a very well known ship and may even be quite proud of that. But I don't feel a compelling need to continually walk around faking an English accent, waving a British flag or talking about the gang back in Lancaster.

Maybe it's just me, but the handful of people I know who lean towards the latter have what I would politely describe as issues around self-esteem. I also find the "I'm (insert cultural background here)" syndrome has a lot to do with both tenure in North America/level of assimilation and socioeconomic status. Those most blatantly into "constantly waving the homeland flag" tend to be closer to first generation and aren't generally hanging out at the Ritz.

Could be that in the moment of winning not all Olympians are thinking of their country or team. I can't even fault them for that but that doesn't change the fact that the Olympics is a team competition.

Yes it is set up that way and to us, the observer, the bystander it's a pure team competition. To them it's a whole other thing. I think that's an important consideration, especially given that people from the same team are also competing with each other.

Without getting into a tirade about balkanization (which would be verbotten here), there is a big difference between being proud of your cultural heritage vs. having to continually broadcast it. I may happen to have ancestors who came to North America almost three hundred years ago on a very well known ship and may even be quite proud of that. But I don't feel a compelling need to continually walk around faking an English accent, waving a British flag or talking about the gang back in Lancaster.

Maybe it's just me, but the handful of people I know who lean towards the latter have what I would politely describe as issues around self-esteem. I also find the "I'm (insert cultural background here)" syndrome has a lot to do with both tenure in North America/level of assimilation and socioeconomic status. Those most blatantly into "constantly waving the homeland flag" tend to be closer to first generation and aren't generally hanging out at the Ritz.

It is only natural that the closer you are to first generation the closer you will identify to your or your parent's homeland. I also don't see anything wrong with it. I would expect someone who was born in another country or is raised by people born in another country to identify closer with that country than someone who's ancestors came over hundreds of years ago. There will be exceptions of course.

Uh OK, but when you hold two passports, it's not an issue of self-esteem. The "waving of the homeland flag" is recognition of the fact that you ARE British American or Italian American or Irish American etc.

There is a huge difference between 300 years and just a few. You don't even know your ancestors personally. The attachment fades over time. You can't compare the two.

And socioeconomic status? I can't even take that argument seriously. Have you seen the Cuban contingent down here?

Were you all just as upset in 1992? From the opinion piece in the OP.

I remember that, in 1992, Mexican-American boxer Oscar De La Hoya held up both the U.S. and Mexican flags after winning a gold medal in Barcelona. But that was largely symbolic since De La Hoya was born in the United States. He wasn't an immigrant caught between two countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter