• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

US Passport

Phlip

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I need to get a passport. I have my birth certificate with my first middle and last name. I have since gotten married. All of my ID-drivers license, credit cards have my current name-first maiden name initial and husbands last name. My social security card has first maiden and husbands last name. I think-I can't find it. I don't have a copy of my marriage license. What should I do? The gov. Site isn't that clear--says to change your name on the passport you need proof of marriage, but nothing if its a first time thing. It will be a major pain to get the marriage license. Grrr...why do we women change our names when we marry??

According to the workers at the USPS facility I got my passport through I had to have an original or certified copy of my marriage certificate.

I agree, you will need a certified copy (or original certified) marriage certificate. Make sure your birth certificate is also official with a raised seal.

When I got my passport I needed my birth certificate (with raised seal), 1st marriage license, divorce decree (certified copy), and my 2nd marriage license.

I just applied last week and I had my marriage certificate but the guy said it was not necessary:confused3

What made it so I had to go back and reapply was not having the correct birth certificate, you need not only the raised seal, it needs to be the long form which has your place of birth and your parents' names on it.

We got the kids' passports but DH and I had to go back and reorder new birth certificates before we could apply for passports.

Are you close to the town you got married in? I just went down to town hall and ordered one when I needed it years ago.

I don't know what kind of trouble it would be for you to get the marriage certificate, but it seems like it would be a good idea to go ahead and get it anyway so you can have a copy on hand.

Order a copy of your marriage license, it's not difficult at all (if you got married in the USA). All states/counties have websites that will tell you exactly how to do it. It's one of those documents you should have a copy of anyway, just like a birth certificate. Actually they're so easy to get, I think that's why no one bothers until they need it for something, lol.

Thanks everyone!

Order a copy of your marriage license, it's not difficult at all (if you got married in the USA). All states/counties have websites that will tell you exactly how to do it. It's one of those documents you should have a copy of anyway, just like a birth certificate. Actually they're so easy to get, I think that's why no one bothers until they need it for something, lol.

It's more of an annoying inconvenience--I live on the other side of the country from where I got married. I need to fill out a sworn affidavit, have it notarized, mail it and a couple other forms to the state vital records...found out last night the state doesn't keep records for all years...so I need to mail it to the county registrar where we were married. No guarantee that they will have it. So, kinda a pain.

Also--found out that I need to obtain a new birth certificate. The certified copy I have may not be acceptable. Thats another round of affidavits, notarized copies, etc. Need a new one for one of my kids too-thankfully I only have to drive 5 minutes for his, lol.

My social security card is missing too.....:rotfl2:

Thanks everyone!

It's more of an annoying inconvenience--I live on the other side of the country from where I got married. I need to fill out a sworn affidavit, have it notarized, mail it and a couple other forms to the state vital records...found out last night the state doesn't keep records for all years...so I need to mail it to the county registrar where we were married. No guarantee that they will have it. So, kinda a pain.

Also--found out that I need to obtain a new birth certificate. The certified copy I have may not be acceptable. Thats another round of affidavits, notarized copies, etc. Need a new one for one of my kids too-thankfully I only have to drive 5 minutes for his, lol.

My social security card is missing too.....:rotfl2:

In PA I was able to just go online and reorder the correct long form of my birth certificate, did it on a Sat from my kitchen table.

If this is your first passport, you do not need a copy of your marriage licence. If you are renewing a passport that has a different name (you got that passport before you got married) then you need a copy of your marriage licence.

In PA I was able to just go online and reorder the correct long form of my birth certificate, did it on a Sat from my kitchen table.

Not the state where I was married...need to prove, with a notarized affidavit that I am one of the people on the certificate.

If this is your first passport, you do not need a copy of your marriage licence. If you are renewing a passport that has a different name (you got that passport before you got married) then you need a copy of your marriage licence.

Hmmmm...but my name is different.....eh, we will see!

It's good to have anyway. The company I worked for had an insurance audit, and everyone had to have marriage licenses, birth certificates for dependents, divorce decrees, etc.

We just went on a RCC (thankfully, a closed loop cruise). I got busy and forgot to renew my passport, and DD's friend never had one. Since I've been married twice, I had to have my BC, my marriage license to my ex, my divorce papers from ex, marriage license to DH, and DL. It was pretty painless, but made me note that as soon as I can, want to renew the passport. It's much more convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter