US Soccer matches

Aren't all the WC games being played on turf? Personal experience, it's really hard to score a goal off of turf from outside the penalty box. It's just too predictable and the goalie can see it too well. The most successful teams this year have all "parked the bus". Watch a game with Japan - they have 9 players back. Yes, the other teams are setting up in their end but so what? They can't get in to the penalty box let alone get a shot off. The Japan counter attack is phenomenal - that's how they are putting the games away before PKs.
No, they're all played on grass.

No, they're all played on grass.
That's good to know - the UNWNT had a huge argument against the turf fields when Canada hosted the WC. That WC just about all the games were decided either with shots from the mark or from a penalty kick from a foul. I have to say I am very impressed with the field conditions at this years WC - could have swore that was turf.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong in saying a player had a bad game. And I think, against Sweden, she had a bad game. It wasn't just the PK. I wasn't impressed with ANY of her corners or field play. I think she's an outstanding player who was past her prime. Did she cost us the game? Emphatically, "no". No single player can cost a team a game in soccer.

Now, regarding the article, I agree. People were/are using their disagreements with the beliefs of the team (or at least some of the players) to look down upon them.
Certainly there is nothing wrong in critiquing her play. But that's not what is being done by the clowns depicted in the article you linked or the clownish statements I saw on TV. Heck. It may be some of the same people.

That's good to know - the UNWNT had a huge argument against the turf fields when Canada hosted the WC. That WC just about all the games were decided either with shots from the mark or from a penalty kick from a foul. I have to say I am very impressed with the field conditions at this years WC - could have swore that was turf.

It was unusual in 2015. That was the only WWC that used artificial surfaces, primarily because that's what was at most of the stadiums used for Canadian football. They installed a temporary artificial surface for the one stadium that had real grass in order to make it consistent.

I do remember it got rather strange for the 1994 World Cup in the United States. They installed real grass in stadiums that had artificial surfaces, like Giants Stadium. But at the Pontiac Silverdome they had grass that was installed in hexagonal trays. I believe they only needed it to last for group play. There was likely enough light coming through the fabric roof to keep it alive long enough.

Certainly there is nothing wrong in critiquing her play. But that's not what is being done by the clowns depicted in the article you linked or the clownish statements I saw on TV. Heck. It may be some of the same people.
Rapinoe is one of the greatest women footballers ever - period. You don't have to look hard to find video of some of her corners that were just S-I-C-K! Hard to describe but she kindof hits it off of her heel with her foot square to the ball - just try that - it's hard to get any power. BUT, she could do it and it and that's how she was able to bend them in and drop the corners on a dime.

Sorry to say though - that was then, it was not this WC, and I really think she lost focus more than game. She was asked what her greatest memory was after the loss and her answer was something about making gains in pay. OK, but that kindof tells you where her head was, and it wasn't in the game.

If you look at tv ratings (someone post the stats, I don’t have time to at the moment), El Tri (Mexico) consistently has higher ratings on tv compared to the USMNT/USWNT. In theory, the USSF makes more money by letting El Tri play matches in the USA then the home matches in the USA for team USA. The FMF (Mexico's FA) has basically made team Mexico 🇲🇽 the number 1 team in the USA than what anything else the USSF tries to do for team USA. My point is while the USSF tries to not only fulfill it's equal pay requirements, but it will also have to find new ways to help the NWSL to become more profitable and attract more media attention rather than relying on the USWNT and Paramount Plus. You can't force men to watch women sports and you can't call them sexist if they don't either. If women want to see the sport and women leagues in general to gain more respect and pay, then women should support all women's teams in every sport by selling out all stadiums themselves. The USWNT are not better than the USMNT. In fact the USMNT win against them many times behind closed door scrimmages (at least that's what I have heard). If Messi and Argentina played against the USWNT, Argentina would beat them 15-0. My point is the USWNT could not make it out the Men's World Cup group stage, and I'm tired of USWNT fans thinking that the women are better than the men. The men's team players face an anti American bias in Europe that the women don't. That's not a misogynistic view, it's a fact. If the women play in Europe or North American leagues they face little bias against them to be honest because of the WC wins of the past. Like I said earlier, I support both teams when they play but some viewers need to take a step back and look at the reality of the situation before they speak to be honest.

Ask yourself this, how many of those people do you think have ever watched a WNT game and how many are just responding to the latest dog whistle? :sad2:

I’m guessing most of those spouting political or ideological venom didn’t watch.

But there was plenty of criticism about lack of focus and cohesion, etc., so it’s likely those commentators watched at least some of the games.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong in saying a player had a bad game. And I think, against Sweden, she had a bad game. It wasn't just the PK. I wasn't impressed with ANY of her corners or field play. I think she's an outstanding player who was past her prime. Did she cost us the game? Emphatically, "no". No single player can cost a team a game in soccer.

Now, regarding the article, I agree. People were/are using their disagreements with the beliefs of the team (or at least some of the players) to look down upon them.

Not exactly true. The goalkeeper can completely cost a team a game. It is the most important position on the whole field b/c it is the one game-changing spot. 2-3 bad goals given up by your goalkeepers, and the game is over, no matter how well the 10 on your side are playing.

Not exactly true. The goalkeeper can completely cost a team a game. It is the most important position on the whole field b/c it is the one game-changing spot. 2-3 bad goals given up by your goalkeepers, and the game is over, no matter how well the 10 on your side are playing.
If the other 10 players do their job, the GK doesn't even have to make a save because the opposing team never gets a shot off. :D

If the other 10 players do their job, they roll up enough goals, it doesn't matter how many goals your GK lets in. :D

I was surprised that the gk was the sixth best penalty kicker on US. Did you notice she went right down the middle.. Which makes sense if you knows she moving one way or another. Betting GK kick it down the middle a lot.

Last edited:

In this case, I would say one player makes a big difference. Team USA tied 3 games and only got a total of 4 goals, 3 of them against a heavily outmatched Vietnam team. One player scoring one goal in either Netherlands or Morocco and the US was not playing Sweden. One goal in regular time or make any of the 3 missed goals from the spot and the US is playing Japan in the next round. I will grant you it's the rest of the team and especially the goalie that kept them in that position. US Defense was solid - their goal scorers failed to score goals. I think the players facing the most heat right now probably deserve it and the coach is definitely gone - he failed to make any adjustments that I could see.

Of course, I stand by they get beat by Japan, but still...

In this case, I would say one player makes a big difference. Team USA tied 3 games and only got a total of 4 goals, 3 of them against a heavily outmatched Vietnam team. One player scoring one goal in either Netherlands or Morocco and the US was not playing Sweden. One goal in regular time or make any of the 3 missed goals from the spot and the US is playing Japan in the next round. I will grant you it's the rest of the team and especially the goalie that kept them in that position. US Defense was solid - their goal scorers failed to score goals. I think the players facing the most heat right now probably deserve it and the coach is definitely gone - he failed to make any adjustments that I could see.

Oh, one player can definitely WIN a game. But it takes a TEAM to lose. ;)

Final 8 - calling my shots;
Netherlands defeats Spain
Japan defeats Sweden
France defeats Australia
Colombia defeats England

Yeah, I know that last one would be a shocker

Final 4 -
Japan defeats Netherlands
France defeats Colombia

Japan wins, Netherlands takes 3rd in the consolation (Japan, France, Netherlands, Colombia)

If you look at tv ratings (someone post the stats, I don’t have time to at the moment), El Tri (Mexico) consistently has higher ratings on tv compared to the USMNT/USWNT. In theory, the USSF makes more money by letting El Tri play matches in the USA then the home matches in the USA for team USA. The FMF (Mexico's FA) has basically made team Mexico 🇲🇽 the number 1 team in the USA than what anything else the USSF tries to do for team USA. My point is while the USSF tries to not only fulfill it's equal pay requirements, but it will also have to find new ways to help the NWSL to become more profitable and attract more media attention rather than relying on the USWNT and Paramount Plus. You can't force men to watch women sports and you can't call them sexist if they don't either. If women want to see the sport and women leagues in general to gain more respect and pay, then women should support all women's teams in every sport by selling out all stadiums themselves. The USWNT are not better than the USMNT. In fact the USMNT win against them many times behind closed door scrimmages (at least that's what I have heard). If Messi and Argentina played against the USWNT, Argentina would beat them 15-0. My point is the USWNT could not make it out the Men's World Cup group stage, and I'm tired of USWNT fans thinking that the women are better than the men. The men's team players face an anti American bias in Europe that the women don't. That's not a misogynistic view, it's a fact. If the women play in Europe or North American leagues they face little bias against them to be honest because of the WC wins of the past. Like I said earlier, I support both teams when they play but some viewers need to take a step back and look at the reality of the situation before they speak to be honest.
The misogynism the USNWT players face is not coming from out of Europe.

I know you use twitter because you are always reposting twitter posts. Go on twitter and look at the personalized abuse they are receiving.

Whether or not the men’s team can beat the women’s team has no bearing on the argument. By the time youth soccer teams are split by gender, the girls are treated differently. At one point in the 2021 season 5 of the 10 NWSL teams fired their coaches (under duress for most) due to inappropriate behavior towards players. The women are fighting an uphill battle and would never have been given equal pay if they didn’t take the opportunity they had and push.

The misogyny and prejudice is in every facet of the sport—even the white shorts they’re forced to wear. The women’s team would never be forced to pay out to the men’s team for a win because they will never be allowed to hold a dominant position within US soccer where that would even be a possibility.

The misogynism the USNWT players face is not coming from out of Europe.

I know you use twitter because you are always reposting twitter posts. Go on twitter and look at the personalized abuse they are receiving.
I wasn't talking about the crazy far right twitter users. Those idiots don't represent soccer fans and should always be ignored. I was talking about employment opportunities in soccer for players. And for the record, verbal abuse is unfortunately common in social media (and should always be called out and condemned). It happens to both men and women players. It's not a gender specific problem, it's a problem period.

Whether or not the men’s team can beat the women’s team has no bearing on the argument. By the time youth soccer teams are split by gender, the girls are treated differently. At one point in the 2021 season 5 of the 10 NWSL teams fired their coaches (under duress for most) due to inappropriate behavior towards players. The women are fighting an uphill battle and would never have been given equal pay if they didn’t take the opportunity they had and push.

The misogyny and prejudice is in every facet of the sport—even the white shorts they’re forced to wear. The women’s team would never be forced to pay out to the men’s team for a win because they will never be allowed to hold a dominant position within US soccer where that would even be a possibility.
By that logic, the men should never payout to the women either. The fight should be with FIFA not the USSF and that is the point your are missing. Sports comes down to money. And in a capitalistic society, pay partly comes down to the value of a position and what a company can/wants to pay. Sports jobs (right or wrong) comes down to what a consumer is willing to pay for. As for the shorts, that's regulation for the sport of soccer. What should they wear instead, pants???

https://gamedayculture.com/why-cant-soccer-players-wear-pants/

By the way there are some exceptions to the rule.....

I believe the USWNT make more money on official gear compared to the USMNT as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The US didn’t play Morocco, the played Portugal. And one goal against Portugal wouldn’t have saved them from playing Sweden. They were going to finish in 2nd due to goal differential anyway

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter