US to lift travel ban for foreign air travellers who show proof of vaccination

To all those who are contemplating a 3rd dose. Have you looked into the science behind the benefits and possible side effects of a 3rd dose or is this just a travel decision?

My understanding of the situation is that there is very little information out there at the moment about effectiveness/side effects.
It’s become a political hot button issue in the USA that can’t really be delved into without getting the thread shut down. However the research results are incoming and so far supportive of the booster.

As for me personally , I don’t want one unless I need it.

To all those who are contemplating a 3rd dose. Have you looked into the science behind the benefits and possible side effects of a 3rd dose or is this just a travel decision?

My understanding of the situation is that there is very little information out there at the moment about effectiveness/side effects.
I think there was very little information about 1st, 2nd and mixed doses in general. I'm putting my trust in the experts who say this is all safe. People in other countries (Israel, for one) have been getting third shots and I haven't heard of any serious problems. I think the biggest argument against boosters right now is not safety related but about giving out third doses when poor countries have been unable to secure first doses. Do I feel guilty about that? Of course. But I'm not worried about safety. The AZ didn't kill me, neither did a mixed dose. Also, we all ingest so much crap, breath polluted air, fly in planes, drive cars, strap ourselves into rollercoasters etc, etc. Life is not safe. I'm not not about to bubble wrap myself and stay home indefinitely. I'll take sensible precautions (masks, vaccines, seatbelts, whatever) and live my life to the fullest. I'd rather die in 5 years having really lived than in 40 having done nothing but sit and watch the world go by.

I finally got a reply from the Ontario Minister of Health:

Thank you for your email to the Honourable Christine Elliott, Minster of Health, regarding third doses for travel.

All the vaccines approved by Health Canada are safe and of excellent quality, and will reduce the risk of infection, hospitalization and death. Ontarians who received two doses of any vaccine offered in the province are considered to be fully immunized and have strong protection against COVID-19 infection and severe outcomes, including against the Delta variant.

The Ontario government has no plans to offer a new vaccine series to individuals requesting an alternate vaccine for travel-related purposes; however, we will continue to monitor other countries’ vaccination requirements for international travellers and will revisit this decision, if necessary.

Many countries are currently developing their own travel related approaches. Each country will decide which vaccines and combinations meet their entry requirements. The province is working with the federal, provincial and territorial leaders to ensure we have a consistent approach to how Canada reopens the border safely.

As the federal government opens international travel, the Ontario government is advocating for the federal government to ensure that all fully vaccinated Ontarians will be able to travel internationally.

The Ontario government has asked the Government of Canada to:
  • Work with jurisdictions such as the United States, the European Union, and others to consider Ontarians who received two doses of any vaccine schedule offered in the province as ‘fully immunized,’ both at international borders and in their activities within those jurisdictions
  • Work with the World Health Organization (WHO) to update its guidance to international partners that mixing vaccines should be internationally accepted as a complete vaccine regimen
This includes both AstraZeneca and AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, as well as a mix of any two Health Canada-approved vaccines.
The province is working with the federal government, who is leading efforts to implement a vaccine credential to support international travel. More information on vaccine credentials for international travel will be available in the coming months.
We encourage you to contact the Government of Canada to ensure they are aware of your suggestions and are able to take them into consideration as they continue to plan and implement a strategy on immunization credentials for Canadians.

Sincerely,
Correspondence and Corporate Support
Ministry of Health
Correspondance et soutien ministériel
Ministère de la Santé

As Ms Elliott’s office suggested, I have just written my MP regarding vaccine credentials for international travel. I wrote my MPP this week. No reply thus far.

@hdrolfe you just posted this over on CC too, didn't you? I JUST responded to your post there :rotfl2: And I'll say the same thing here, that is a nice concise answer and not just a 'we have no plans, beat it.'

Oh you found me on CC! :D Yes I posted in both places, and yes it was a decent answer I suppose? But the answers federally have always been "we're working on it, you'll see something in a few weeks" and then of course... election... ugh... so I haven't written the feds again yet, waiting to see who they put in place and then I'll be writing again.

I think it's interesting that the brits are all busy booking flights now (crashing travel websites) when the US has not formally said they will accept AZ. We know they will, but still....how many brits are mixed vaccines? I don't think many, correct? That was more us and countries in the EU?

I think it's interesting that the brits are all busy booking flights now (crashing travel websites) when the US has not formally said they will accept AZ. We know they will, but still....how many brits are mixed vaccines? I don't think many, correct? That was more us and countries in the EU?
I think they are in the "hope and optimism" stage :)

I was too when I booked our Jan 2022 trip, but as we get closer, the rules around testing, and the still-diminished experience at Disney have left me substantially less hopeful and optimistic!

I would be interested to know how many of them are mixed. I have a feeling it’s going to be allowed, but it’s just a feeling and it’s based on logic. We all know that isn’t always coming into play these days:rolleyes:.

I agree with the above, I was so optimistic once I got fully vaccinated that I went ahead and booked everything. Now I’m not even sure I want to go in January. I’m just kind of tired of it all and would love to have booked a trip to the UK or something else entirely for next summer. Once we start getting some clarity on all of this stuff I will know whether to get excited again or just move it all out to next year.

The article says Canadians can still fly to the US with a negative test. My question is, does that change come November? Article was unclear.
That has actually never been answered, we are all just assuming that yes, come November the same rules apply to Canadians.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/travel/us-international-travel-vaccine.html
Great article.
Has tons of information.

The requirement as per the article will
Apply to Canadians. It doesn’t help those with mix vaccines but if you are fully vaccinated with AZ (2 doses), you should be ok
Thanks. So I can’t enter the US come November. I have four tickets to the Music Man on Broadway in May that I won’t be able to use. $3000 plus down the drain. Vaccinated and still can’t move about. So frustrating.

Honestly it doesn’t talk about mixed doses at all so I still have hope that something can be worked out. Im going to be out of luck too if they say no good. Im
I’m Ontario and mixed.

I’m going to be very upset at myself since I did what was asked, take the first vaccine available to you and now I can’t go to my favourite
Place. 😢

Honestly it doesn’t talk about mixed doses at all so I still have hope that something can be worked out. Im going to be out of luck too if they say no good. Im
I’m Ontario and mixed.

I’m going to be very upset at myself since I did what was asked, take the first vaccine available to you and now I can’t go to my favourite
Place. 😢
We got the first one that was offered and now I feel like we are being punished 😢 We have flights and hotel booked for mid November for Disneyland but can't pull the trigger on tickets until the rules around vaccines are released. I'm afraid park reservations might be hard to get if we wait too long but I can't put out that kind of cash without knowing if we can get in. We are in a holding pattern and it sucks!

I’m Ontario and mixed.

Place. 😢
Write your MP! They need to hear from us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter