US Women's National Soccer Team controversy

Exactly this. My daughter is on a state premier u14 team. You don't pull back or it IS insulting to the other team - especially if you know their reputation. In our recent state championships, we had to play against the #2 team in the state. That team plays at a much higher level than our team does in league. They play in a US regional league, while our team plays the top teams in the state, they play the top teams in a 4-state region. That team blew us away and celebrated every single one of their 6 goals (to our zero) and rightfully so. They didn't put in their scrubs. They kept their top players in as they should. Our girls would've felt disrespected if they didn't. They were amazing to watch and I know they're used to scoring. Our girls learned from them - and I'm not talking about how to celebrate.

I agree. My daughter's volleyball team is a nationally competitive team. At our last tournament, we played the #1 16U team in the nation. We're ranked around #100. We lost, but our girls will be better competitors for playing them. And the great part of playing these top teams is the exposure that our girls get to college scouts.

In the same tournament, we also had to play a top team from Texas. I can't remember what they were ranked. It was at least top 20. When they won the game, some of their parents and the team shot their fake finger pistols at our girls. Who the heck does that when celebrating a win?

I'm not familiar with soccer so I don't have really have an opinion whether the cheering was excessive. I do believe that it's completely acceptable to play to win, even if you are up by a huge margin.

Exactly this. My daughter is on a state premier u14 team. You don't pull back or it IS insulting to the other team - especially if you know their reputation. In our recent state championships, we had to play against the #2 team in the state - my daughter's team is 14th. That team plays at a much higher level than our team does in league. They play in a US regional league, while our team plays the top teams in the state, they play the top teams in a 4-state region. That team blew us away and celebrated every single one of their 6 goals (to our zero) and rightfully so. They didn't put in their scrubs. They kept their top players in as they should. Our girls would've felt disrespected if they didn't. They were amazing to watch and I know they're used to scoring. Our girls learned from them - and I'm not talking about how to celebrate.

Edited for missed punctuation
Sorry, I disagree with you. There are all kinds of things youth teams can do to not run up the score AND it's beneficial to the winning team...
1) Why would you not play those who don't get a lot of playing time? Isn't a blowout the perfect time to give the bench players some true game experience? In WC, there's a three sub limit, so you can't play everybody. That's not the case in a youth tournament.
2) Put players in different positions. This helps with their tactical knowledge. Learning what other players are thinking and seeing helps make you a better player.
3) You can put restrictions on how shots have to be made (only headers, only with non-dominant foot, only outside the 18, etc). This helps builds additional skills.

Why does no one complain when football teams put in their bench players in a blowout? Should Alabama keep it's starters in when they're up 30 points in the first half?

1) Why would you not play those who don't get a lot of playing time? Isn't a blowout the perfect time to give the bench players some true game experience? In WC, there's a three sub limit, so you can't play everybody. That's not the case in a youth tournament.

Actually it's not the case in youth soccer. Every youth league has different substitution rules. ECNL once you get subbed out you can't reenter the game in the half you were taken out. I believe Developmental Academy once you are subbed you are done for the game. Those are the top 2 youth leagues in the country. I'm not sure about lower state level leagues.

That team blew us away and celebrated every single one of their 6 goals (to our zero) and rightfully so. They didn't put in their scrubs. They kept their top players in as they should.

True top-level teams don't have "scrubs." My kid plays on one of those top ranked national teams. The starters are not set and any kid on the team can start the game. If it's a blowout the subs coming in will often give as much or even more production.

Actually it's not the case in youth soccer. Every youth league has different substitution rules. ECNL once you get subbed out you can't reenter the game in the half you were taken out. I believe Developmental Academy once you are subbed you are done for the game. Those are the top 2 youth leagues in the country. I'm not sure about lower state level leagues.

Some of that varies by age group as well. I know that in US Soccer National League (another one of the 'top youth leagues'), the U14 age group has unlimited substitutions. It isn't until U15 that they start with the FIFA-7 subs per half rule.

True top-level teams don't have "scrubs." My kid plays on one of those top ranked national teams. The starters are not set and any kid on the team can start the game. If it's a blowout the subs coming in will often give as much or even more production.

That is definitely the difference between a top team and just a good team. The top team can play anyone on their roster because they are all amazing players.

But neither of those rules prevent playing bench players in a blow out. The rules I am familiar with with USYS starting at U15 is 7 subs/half and no reentry in the same half. Even with that, in theory you could play 36 different players in a game (18 in each half). I think there might be a limit of only 18 players can participate in a game, so there's really no reason everyone can't play.

The teams in the level that my daughter's team plays at all have very deep benches. There's not a single weak player on those teams. And there have been times that our coach has told the girls that they have to take a certain number of touches or make a certain number of passes before they can score if they're blowing away another team. However, they still celebrate their goals. My daughter is a defender who occasionally gets put in at mid-field or even forward if the team is outplaying their opponent. When she scores from those positions, the entire team celebrates with her because she doesn't typically get a chance to score. That's not taunting the other team, that's celebrating their own success.

The teams in the level that my daughter's team plays at all have very deep benches. There's not a single weak player on those teams. And there have been times that our coach has told the girls that they have to take a certain number of touches or make a certain number of passes before they can score if they're blowing away another team. However, they still celebrate their goals. My daughter is a defender who occasionally gets put in at mid-field or even forward if the team is outplaying their opponent. When she scores from those positions, the entire team celebrates with her because she doesn't typically get a chance to score. That's not taunting the other team, that's celebrating their own success.
I'll agree there's not a weak player on these teams, but some players are weaker than others. You made the comment that the better team didn't "put in scrubs" and "kept their top players in as they should." I'm simply pointing out there is no reason to keep top players in in a blowout. And there are other things that can be done that can be beneficial for the winning team to help not "rub it in the faces" of the opposing team. Please note, I'm talking about youth (18yo & below) competition, not professional.

If anyone loves the uswnt - there is a pretty funny article written by Rapinoe's girlfriend in the playerstribune dot com. It does have a fair amount of swearing and is pretty political so I won't link it directly - but it made me laugh out loud a number of times.

If anyone loves the uswnt - there is a pretty funny article written by Rapinoe's girlfriend in the playerstribune dot com. It does have a fair amount of swearing and is pretty political so I won't link it directly - but it made me laugh out loud a number of times.
I read that yesterday, it was pretty good.

I celebrate these ladies.
How about those USA women? Well done ladies. Naysayers can eat it.
That's right!

Well I said it about Canada, but I guess it applies to the British also: When they win something then they can give the U.S. advice on how to celebrate. I really don't think we have honestly valued the British point of view since around 1776.

I saw no controversy only the Colonies once again defeating the British during the first week of July

tenor.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter