Use Year and Banking Question

jstaff

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

Quick question about use year and banking process. Our use year is Feburary. We have to bank by September 30th. My question is if I make a reservation for January before September 30th and use banked points and end up canceling what happens to those points?

Any banked points will go back into your account as banked points when you cancel. So, if you book January 2024 with banked 2022 points...and you have to cancel the trip, those will expire January 31st, 2024.

If you are booking with 2023 points...which don't need to be banked to use in January 2024, and cancel that trip after the September 30th banking deadline, those points will also then expire January 31st, 2024.

It is why traveling in the last few months of your UY can be tricky as there are no good options if you have to cancel.

Any banked points will go back into your account as banked points when you cancel. So, if you book January 2024 with banked 2022 points...and you have to cancel the trip, those will expire January 31st, 2024.

If you are booking with 2023 points...which don't need to be banked to use in January 2024, and cancel that trip after the September 30th banking deadline, those points will also then expire January 31st, 2024.

It is why traveling in the last few months of your UY can be tricky as there are no good options if you have to cancel.
Thank you! That makes sense now! Good to know before I make a reservation.

So, I have a trip planned for January 2024 with 2023 Feb use year points. If I cancel the trip after September, the 2023 points still have to be used by January 31, 2024. Would I loose the points or would they go into holding?

So, I have a trip planned for January 2024 with 2023 Feb use year points. If I cancel the trip after September, the 2023 points still have to be used by January 31, 2024. Would I loose the points or would they go into holding?
If you used Feb 2023 UY points for the trip and cancelled after Sept 2023, you'd either have to use those specific 2023 points by the end of January, or lose them - because you would have lost the opportunity to bank them to 2024 UY, and they'll expire. If you cancelled the trip 31 days or less, those points would go into a holding account and the points could be used through 1/31/2024. Again, you'd likely lose them, based on the timing of your example/question.

Holding status applies when you cancel a trip less than 31 days before check in, it even Happens if you are within a banking window. Once in holding, you can only book them for stays 60 days or less from check in

If you cancel your trip after September 30th, those points expire at the end of January 2024. But they can be booked for any dates.

Since you are traveling the last month the points can be used, holding status won’t really matter because if you cancel that January trip less than 31 days from happening, you are well below the 60 days anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter