Use Year for teachers

The problem you face is that the times you could travel are scattered throughout the year. Which of these is least likely for you to travel:
Spring Break - June Use Year
Summer - October Use Year
Thanksgiving - December Use Year
Christmas - February Use Year

The problem you face is that the times you could travel are scattered throughout the year. Which of these is least likely for you to travel:
Probably Thanksgiving (which is our version of "fall break"). But I see your point that I'm completely out of luck if I have to cancel. Although I would think it wouldn't be terrible to rent the reservation for Thanksgiving if we can't make it. Thanks for the feedback!

FWIW, my wife is a teacher and we typically vacation during NJ Teacher Convention (early Nov) or early December. We have a September use year and that's worked out pretty well for us (knock on wood).

School Librarian here. We did a Feb UY because it was the points I wanted and a good price. However.....if I had to do it again, I would do March or April. We have Fall break also and that's when we have tended to travel the most.
School librarian here as well. We chose April and believe it was the perfect choice. You only have to worry about canceling a trip from November- March, times we are unlikely to travel since our district doesn’t have a fall break (other than two days at Thanksgiving).
Now, once we retire we may want to travel at different times - the reason we are considering a new contract with an October use year. 🙂

Teacher here too. Our school year ends in June so we typically travel to WDW end of August. June use year is great for us. For your school year that would not work. I would go early spring UY if it were me. Good luck.

Husband is a teacher… we have a June use year. We travel over the summer or fall/thanksgiving. We don’t have a “traditional” spring break… our district builds in make up days so we only end up with a long weekend. For summer/fall travel the Jan 31st banking deadline works well. We never considered use year when we first purchased, but fortunately June works well. I don’t think many people considered the importance of use year till covid and the closure…

My wife is a teacher and we go in the summer. Our Oct. use Year is perfect for us.

Teacher here. I have 2 use years: March and October. I use the March for my spring and summer trips and the October for Thanksgiving and Christmas trips. Different home resorts are associated with each UY and trips.

My wife is a teacher and we go in the summer. Our Oct. use Year is perfect for us.
Traveling in July, August, or September is really risky, but I guess there's another aspect to being a teacher that I didn't consider: since your breaks are so well defined, perhaps it's less likely you'd ever have to cancel. Still, planning for the unexpected emergency, you'd be much better protected with a different use year.

Administrator here, we went with March UY cause that get us at our main breaks of spring and summer. It also covers us in case we have to cancel fall break since banking deadline is Oct. 21. We did not worry about Christmas because we know when we plan a Christmas trip it would take a massive situation to cancel it.

I was about to type out exactly this. March UY has worked out beautifully for Spring and Summer travel, which are my most likely to be tweaked times. If we travel later in the year, like Thanksgiving or Christmas, there are a lot more things at play like coordinating with family, so I'm absolutely sure about those trips when we book.

Traveling in July, August, or September is really risky, but I guess there's another aspect to being a teacher that I didn't consider: since your breaks are so well defined, perhaps it's less likely you'd ever have to cancel. Still, planning for the unexpected emergency, you'd be much better protected with a different use year.
Her summer start Memorial Day weekend and we usually arrive that Sunday.

I think it depends on your teaching schedule. I teach in New York and return to school in September so an August use year is the BEST for me. Every situation is different. :)

School Counselor here and we went with a Sept UY since we always went for F&FW in Oct/Nov. But we have since moved to Dec long weekend and long June trip when school gets out. We were worried about the Sept UY with our primary trip being in June now but it has worked fine so far and if there ever was an issue we have the whole summer to push the trip back and try and get there in July or August.

School Counselor here and we went with a Sept UY since we always went for F&FW in Oct/Nov. But we have since moved to Dec long weekend and long June trip when school gets out. We were worried about the Sept UY with our primary trip being in June now but it has worked fine so far and if there ever was an issue we have the whole summer to push the trip back and try and get there in July or August.
Thanks--I'm thinking of October now, since if we do have to cancel an early summer trip that gives us plenty of (pretty open) time to rebook. There's no way we'd ever go in September in the foreseeable future (at least 15 years).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter