using a coupon to pay on a date?

disykat

This person totally gets me
Would you find this a turn off?

On another forum I go to, people were describing bad first dates. This was listed as an offense. I must be really frugal, because I think I'd be IMPRESSED, not turned off! (That said, I wouldn't want him to make a big deal about it, just use it like it's normal. "oh, I have a coupon...")

Opinions?

No way, not on a first date. After you get to know someone, and that they'd be fine with it, then OK. I love coupons, but it makes you look bad on a date.

Would you find this a turn off?

On another forum I go to, people were describing bad first dates. This was listed as an offense. I must be really frugal, because I think I'd be IMPRESSED, not turned off! (That said, I wouldn't want him to make a big deal about it, just use it like it's normal. "oh, I have a coupon...")

Opinions?

Is he in college or an adult living on his own? That would make a difference I would think.

But, I'm in the camp on definately not on a first date and I would NOT be impressed.

I would have been impressed.

But then, I was on a first date once where he totally and completely asked me to dinner, then I could SEE his mind change as the bill came, and he asked me for my half. I had anticipated it and brought cash, and that was the LAST time we saw each other.

Bringing a coupon is a far cry from that IMO. (heck, maybe if he'd had a coupon he could have afford to follow through on date behaviour and I would have wanted to see him again!)

Would be ok with someone using a coupon. But Im also the one who would be asking if my date wanted to do something from the 2 for 20 or 2 for 30 menu if available ( if they were paying)

I can't really picture anyone giving it a second thought, unless you are eating at a dump ONLY because that's the place you have a coupon for.

My teenagers do it all the time. I guess because they are teens but they always use the coupons. In fact, they look in my entertainment book before they plan dates!

The reaction is overwhlemingly positive!

As for me, I would not care at all. It is second nature for me to save money. There are definetely ways to be discreet about a coupon as well.

In this age of groupons and living social deals, one would be almost crazy not to use a coupon.

I would consider it a non issue. I have no problem with someone using coupons, but I don consider it a great virtue either.
I have one friend who I go out to lunch with once every few months. (Dutch) She's tight with money. She always likes to go to Fridays because she has points saved up. She will only order water with lemon (free) and overly encourages me to order dessert even though she's not having anything, and then grabs a spoon for a "few bites". Every year on her birthday she gets a coupon for her birthday for a buy one get one free at an expensive restaurants and wonders why I won't go out to dinner there with her and buy an expensive dinner so she can get her freebie. If I went out on a date with someone like that, he'd have to have something else fantastic about him to make up for the overly tight behavior because that would drive me crazy.

I probably would not think about it at all (if I were still dating, which thankfully I am not :goodvibes) and if i did pay any attention I would see it as a sign that the person budgets and does not just spend willy nilly which I would see as a positive.

I would keep an eye on someone who used a coupon on a first date. I'd watch them for other flags that they might be OCD/overboard cheap/dis-respectful. I'd prefer that a boyfriend wait for several dates to start using coupons. I would not hesitate, however, to offer him a coupon if I had one, for the restaurant where we were dining. Is that a double standard? While my husband and I were dating, we bought an Entertainment Book and worked hard to use the heck out of it. That was AFTER we were in a monogamous relationship and sharing the cost of things equally.

I think it would really depend on the situation and how he handled taking out the coupon. If it was a really nice place, and we got to go there, saving money, great!

If he turned out to be a tightwad, nickel & diming the whole check, then stiffing the waitress out of a decent tip, I'd be out of there. :crazy2:

I fancy myself a coupon queen. :yay: Why overspend when one doesn't have to? I like to save my money for certain splurges. But, I might wait till the third date before whipping out my coupons or suggesting places we could go with a coupon.

It seems like everyone and their brother has an eClub these days. So if while eating at a common restaurant someone said, "I've got one of those free appetizer or free dessert coupons," I would think nothing of it. A coupon clipped from a newspaper for some off the wall place, that I would raise an eye at.

My son was taking her very new GF out on their second date and I offered him a coupon to the restaurant he had chosen. He was horrified! After they dated for a while they were both looking for coupons but not in the very beginning.

I think it would really depend on the situation and how he handled taking out the coupon. If it was a really nice place, and we got to go there, saving money, great!

If he turned out to be a tightwad, nickel & diming the whole check, then stiffing the waitress out of a decent tip, I'd be out of there. :crazy2:

I fancy myself a coupon queen. :yay: Why overspend when one doesn't have to? I like to save my money for certain splurges. But, I might wait till the third date before whipping out my coupons or suggesting places we could go with a coupon.

This. Saving money like using an eClub type free appetizer or whatever. I'm totally ok with that.

Being a complete tightwad. Not cool.

The recent one (and unfortunately I am in the dating world) that I just learned that I was shocked about is men saying that if a woman wore jeans on a 1st date there would be no second date.

I wouldn't mind if he didn't make a big deal out of it (I'm a big couponer myself).

But I once went out on a date with a guy in college that (a) told me in advance that he had a coupon for (b) a place that was at least 25 minutes away and not exactly known for great food, which meant (c) I didn't really get a say in where we went to dinner. We also went to the dollar theatre afterward (and it was really gross and rundown; I'd rather have just skipped the movie at that point if it was a hardship). I totally understood that we were broke and trying to save money, but there were definitely classier ways of going about it. Needless to say, we didn't last.

:thumbsup2

I have no problem with coupons as long as I'm not at dump because of one like the previous poster stated up thread.

This. Saving money like using an eClub type free appetizer or whatever. I'm totally ok with that.

Being a complete tightwad. Not cool.

The recent one (and unfortunately I am in the dating world) that I just learned that I was shocked about is men saying that if a woman wore jeans on a 1st date there would be no second date.

OK, I've got to ask -- where did you hear this one from? It seems awfully abitrary, since you never know what a first date might entail. (My DH and I went to a balloon glow on ours, we were hiking through an open field in the dark to get to the grounds. Jeans and boots made perfect sense, and we were both wearing them.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter