Using a Credit Card to Purchase Points

juniebear

Earning My Ears
Has anyone purchased additonal points using a credit card? I'm thinking of purchasing some additonal points at BLT (160 pts) and have a cc with a very low apr rate. Do you think this would be a better option than financing through Disney?:confused3

I purchased all 360 points using my credit card. I have a Disney Visa card so I earned a "butt-load" of reward dollars making my purchase. I paid my card off as soon as the bill came so I didn't have to worry about interest rates. I guess you need to research your card's interest rates and compare them to what the Disney interest rates are at the time of purchase to decide your best option. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking of using my Disney Visa too. How did you go about this? Did you have to wait for your contract or did you tell your sales rep upfront. I don't want to get the hard press to finance again, because i also want to get the rewards points, then pay off the bill when it comes in.:woohoo:

I did instead of writing a check so I could get the most out of my purchase (air fare or Disney reward). It's just like charging anything else.
No you don't have to tell your guide up front. When you get your contract you can call and do it over the phone. I gave them my info after I received my contract that way you have a longer time to save and pay.

I told my sales rep up front and paid immediately with my card. My purchase on the ship was done right when I signed the initial paperwork. I also did an "add-on" while visiting Disney World in January 2008. During this add-on, I met my guide at Saratoga Springs, signed all the paperwork, paid with my Disney card, and had the additional points in my DVC account by the end of the day. All payments were made in full.

Thank you all soooo much. I'm heading down for Thanksgiving and can't wait to make my additonal purchase!(and rewards points too,LOL):yay:

We did this just this weekend. Bought an additional 160 points at BLT and put it on a credit card.

One logistical thought: I, too, bought all my points w/my credit card (0% interest purchases)...I did this four separate times, and for at least 2 and maybe 3 of the purchases I used my Disney Visa...the first time I did this, one of the cards (and I think it was my Disney Visa ) declined the charge, not because I didn't have the credit, but because it was such a large purchase they blocked it until I called to authorize it...at that point Disney put it through again and it worked just fine...from that I've learned that for any unusually big purchase it's wise to call your credit card company (the bank) ahead of time to tell them you anticipate the charge coming through so that they will accept it --other than that, using the credit card to buy points at Disney is easy as can be...

You get 0% interest for 6 months on $2,500 towards your points.

If you bought a 25 point contract, you might be able to take advantage of this.

I bought with an AOL Visa (1999). They had to split it into 2 monthly payments so that I would not go over my credit limit. I sent a check for 50% to the bank right away and when the second month was billed, I paid the rest. I took money from elsewhere, so I didn't pay any interest and got lots of AOL free!

We've done this with every add on (have 11). Easy, convenient, and you get the points on your card toward Disney rewards. Of course, to benefit, you must pay it off!

Deb

You get 0% interest for 6 months on $2,500 towards your points.

If you bought a 25 point contract, you might be able to take advantage of this.

Which card is offering that? Disney Chase Visa? Is that for new cardholders only?

Oh, this is very, very tempting. I really want to wait till after the first of the year to add on, I wonder if 0% will still be offered then.

I purchased all my points with a credit card, got my plane points that way. I also paid off the credit card in 30 days with money I would have used to buy the points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter