Using a nebulizer ON a plane?

elcodfish

Mouseketeer
I'm 28 and have had asthma for a long time but a recent bout with broncitis has me currently using my inhaler quite often and it dosn't work as well as it used to. My doctor is thinking about getting me a portable nebulizer if this doesn't improve, and of course, in 3 weeks I will be on a plane to WDW so what happnes if I need a treatment on the plane and have to use the nebulizer? Is this allowed, or will I have to rely on my less helpful albuterol inhaler until we land?

I don't think that you would be allowed to use your nebulizer on the plane. I would think you would have to use it either before you board the plane or after you land. Maybe if you take a treatment before taking off you will be fine for the trip until you get to where you are going.

My son and I both have athsma so I understand your prob. I can't imagine a legitimate reason for an airline not permitting a portable nebulizer, unless they make the Albuteral an issue. Perhaps a call to your airline would be a good idea. You may also consider a Dr.'s note. peemag made a good suggestion provided your flight isn't very long. DS has needed to use his neb, at times, up to every 2 hrs. It will depend on your length of time on the plane and severity of athsma attack. I'd call airline in advance in any case. Good Luck!

The issue itself would probably be that you would have no where to plug it in. 2 years ago my sister started having an asthma attack about 20 mins before we landed. We alerted the flight attendant who told us there was no electrical outlet we could use. My mom told her that we needed to get off the plane as quickly as possible because my sister could barely breathe. The flight attendant was not very helpful and pointed out that we were sitting pretty close to the door. Regardless the captain made an annoucement telling everyone to remain seated while my sister got off the plane first. My dad ran her up the runway and found an outlet at the gate.

Now I'm sure they had an outlet on the plane, but they wouldn't let her use it.

The issue itself would probably be that you would have no where to plug it in.

There are portables that do not require an outlet. They are operated with rechargeable batteries. (Make sure you're fully charged before boarding a plane.) We have an older model that belonged to my grandpa, but I am sure there are much better ones out there now. Might be a good idea for your DS. :thumbsup2

My son has asthma and I was told by Southwest that they do not allow nebulizersto be used on board due to the medications taht are being put into the air. What we did is about 10 minutes before our boarding time I gave him a treatment , even thought he did not seem to be having much of a issues that day, but his doctor and I agreed that it was better safe than sorry. Could you try and use it before and that way the drugs are already in your system, then maybe you would not have a flare up while in the air.

My son has asthma and I was told by Southwest that they do not allow nebulizersto be used on board due to the medications taht are being put into the air. What we did is about 10 minutes before our boarding time I gave him a treatment , even thought he did not seem to be having much of a issues that day, but his doctor and I agreed that it was better safe than sorry. Could you try and use it before and that way the drugs are already in your system, then maybe you would not have a flare up while in the air.

Didn't consider that. Perhaps on a long flight, a good idea would be a treament before the flight, like you said (still keep inhaler handy). Then if there is a layover do another neb treatment then. Definitely better safe than sorry. Even a mild attack can turn ugly fast. Not sure if OP is on a preventative such as Advair or Singulair, as my son and I are. These have helped us keep our athsma under control as well. Hope these posts are a help to you elcodfish! Best Wishes! :flower3:

Are nebulizers altitude-dependent? Having used a CPAP on an airplane, I can tell you that the lower air pressure could create serious problems. I am not sure of the exact way the Nebulizer pressurizes air, and I know there are several types that work differently, but the air pressure on an airplane is similar to about 10,000-12,000 feet altitude (my CPAP is rated up to 8,000 feet), so the machine could have serious issues pressurizing the air properly.

but the air pressure on an airplane is similar to about 10,000-12,000 feet altitude
This is not correct. All airliners maintain a cabin altitude no higher than 6,000 feet. It is no problem with jet aircraft.

And even a pressurized light single or twin will only go up to an cabin altitude of 8,000 feet when flying at 25,000.

Looks like your best bet is to call the airline you will be traveling on and find out what their policy is. If you are not on a preventative, talk to your DR about getting on one. Hopefully, you are already as it sounds like your athsma is severe. If your airline does not allow nebs, then take neb treatment immediately before boarding. (I still recommend looking into a small rechargeable portable for travel. They can also be plugged in and will take up less room.) Keep your inhaler with you on flight (just in case). Take another treatment during a layover if you have one. Then another treatment immediately following the flight if necessary. I don't have any further advice, except, do your research and take every precaution. Hope you get all the info you need and your trip goes smoothly. Best Wishes to you! :flower3:

Thank you everyone! I did get a nebulizer yesterday and it is a small battery operated one, about the size of 3 or 4 decks of cards. I am also on a preventative, and I am also going to have my inhaler, but the nebulizer works better for me. I will try to get a treatment ahead of time in the airport just to be safe, but it does make me really antsy so that 3 hours will feel like 12. I was thinking I could use it in the bathroom, but if there is only 1, and I am in there for like 15 minutes, people may revolt :rotfl:

Thank you all again! I found a lot of info here yesterday about the different nebulizers available and decided that having a portable one with me all the time is safer even if it was expensive.

Erica

Thank you everyone! I did get a nebulizer yesterday and it is a small battery operated one, about the size of 3 or 4 decks of cards. I am also on a preventative, and I am also going to have my inhaler, but the nebulizer works better for me. I will try to get a treatment ahead of time in the airport just to be safe, but it does make me really antsy so that 3 hours will feel like 12. I was thinking I could use it in the bathroom, but if there is only 1, and I am in there for like 15 minutes, people may revolt :rotfl:

Thank you all again! I found a lot of info here yesterday about the different nebulizers available and decided that having a portable one with me all the time is safer even if it was expensive.

Erica

Don't worry about the 15 min. I've seen the RR occupied for much longer than that! I don't ask questions. Just an observation. :rolleyes1 Sounds like you've got everything all worked out. :thumbsup2

I've never used a nebulizer, but don't they emit "mist" into the air? This may be very stupid, but is there any way that the detectors in the bathroom (most planes have sensitive detectors in the bathroom to detect smoking) could be triggered?

In any event, I'd speak the airline before using an nebulizer on the plane (even if using it in the bathroom).

My husband has Cystic Fibrosis, so his situation is a little different, but the situation is similar. He would never use his nebulizer on the plane because not only does it make noise that could be disruptive to others, but because it emits a mist not only as it runs, but as you exhale. Just in his opinion, he would feel uncomfortable expecting people around him to breathe in his exhaled medication. On board he always has his albuterol and Advair. He too has a portable nebulizer. Nebulizing meds can easily be done before boarding or as soon as you get off of the plane while at the airport, which is so more open and of course better ventilated. Of course if a true medical emergency were to occur that could not be fixed with an inhaled medication, by all means, you should speak to a flight attendant asap. Perhaps they could recommend a better area of the plane where it would not be intrusive to others to nebulize.

I've never used a nebulizer, but don't they emit "mist" into the air? This may be very stupid, but is there any way that the detectors in the bathroom (most planes have sensitive detectors in the bathroom to detect smoking) could be triggered?

In any event, I'd speak the airline before using an nebulizer on the plane (even if using it in the bathroom).

I think you may have misinterpreted the bathroom statements. Just a little joking there between elcodfish and me. :goodvibes I believe elcodfish has worked out a good strategy and should be OK. In a previous posts elcodfish decided to go with the portable neb which will be great for travel and can be used before flight, during a layover and immediately following the flight. Not to mention how much easier it will be to take into the parks. An inhaler will be kept handy on the flight as well. I do agree with the idea that a call to the airline in advance would be a good idea. As CleoPhad said, they may offer an alternative area to neb while in the air. In an emergency situation the flight attendants would have to be accommodating. :thumbsup2

Yes, I was joking about the toilet :rotfl: although obviously if I cannot breathe and my other inhaler isn't working I will have to get a stewardess involved. Luckily it is a straight 3 hour flight and the first time I used my nebulizer yesterday I felt really good for almost 8 hours, so I think all will be well. Again, thanks to everyone, I have flown with cold medicine before but this was a whole new ballpark for me! It probably doesn't help that I'm a nervous flyer as well, maybe the airport bar will be open at 6:30am to help me with that part :lmao:

OK my 20 years as an RT have made me answer this. The Mist will not set off the alarms. And it will also not harm the people around you. I have been breathing it in for years and except the need to go to WDW all the time I'm fine.

Most airlines will let you use a battery operated one if they are not taking off or landing. They might ask you to move else where to be less disruptive though. I would call your airline and see if they would let you use it. Using it before or after the flight would be the least disruptive for all of course.

I have severe asthma and I just use my portable neb about 20 mins before we board the plane. Ive done a 6 hr flight while on neb treatments every 4 hours and my doctor just has me use my inhaler every 3 hours instead and than take a neb treatment when we land.

I have to take a neb treatment right before I fly becaus eI cannot fly other wise b/c I will have an asthma attack on the plane but Ive never thought about using it while in flight.

I figure if my asthma is at a state where it is that bad (and mine is pretty severe normally) its better if I dont fly at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter