Using an agent to book WDW trip

TAs are either awesome (because TA's are awesome!), or they're just really bad at their jobs. No professional TA will leave their leads--much less their existing clients--hanging for a reply. TAs who aren't responsive put their clients at risk. They can miss windows to apply discounts or secure necessary travel documents, and they can be dangerous for clients to rely on in case of emergency during a trip. Being a TA is like being a real estate agent. You are never really "off stage" and your clients have a right (and a need!) to be able to get a hold of you. When I do media relations, I always say the correct response to a call or email from the news media is, "How high?" It's the same way with TAs. I think your instincts are right on. I would run as quickly as possible to a different TA.

Disney is the only vacation I use a TA for, and if I wasn't friends with her before she became a TA, I would probably do it myself. She makes my res, calls in my gift card payments, and is on top of any discounts. When I make my initial reservation, I give her carte blanche to change to "X, Y, or Z resorts, as long as it saves me money - do what you have to do." She will also monitor ADRs for me if I can't get what I want at 180 days, and will make those reservations for me. She can make all ADRs and FP+ for clients, but I do that myself. My sister uses the same TA and she lets her do everything.

When my TA is out of town, she emails all her clients with reservations and gives them another extension to call with problems, her email has an out of office message with information how to reach someone, and her email is forwarded to/monitored by the agency so they can take care of clients in her absence. I wouldn't do business with a TA that left me hanging.

We booked it ourself for 5 years.. But last year read on the Dis board about a labor day special thru a TA & got a killer deal for our Honeymoon at the GF! No way could we have afforded that booking on our own!! I had the same hesitations.. But we did all of our ADR's & FP's ourself. I found it very easy actually-- we only dealt with her to pay the trip off.
I agree with others -- if you're not getting a great deal then book it on your own! But we had a great experience so we booked it again this year thru that same TA with another great labor day deal & we get to stay at the GF again! :)

I don't think your experience is typical. I receive a reply from my TA probably within an hour typically. If she really is out and unreachable, she will provide contact info for a co-worker who can handle things in her absence if it's important. I am very anal, but I have always enjoyed using the TA. Even though I read on here a ton, I do bounce ideas off of her and she has provided some good ideas and input and I like having someone else deal with the hassles of changing my reservation, etc. If you aren't getting a good feeling with her, I would try someone else. I wouldn't feel guilty about the time she's already spent, there are better ones out there and you will NOT enjoy the process if you are always waiting on her for stuff!

Thanks all for the input! I really appreciate it! LOTS of good food for thought! Her quote is exactly the same as the Disney website. We'll be staying at CR in October, so it would be nice to have someone monitoring the discounts for free dining or reduced rates, but I agree that I could do that myself. (Not even sure how common discounts for that resort are? Or if free dining ever extends into October?)

I will feel badly if we book without her, but she's also lost our confidence a bit for booking with her. My experience has been that maybe we're not a good fit for working together. I'm a little uptight and maybe she's a little laid-back. Not a great combo. Ha! :)

**EDITED**
Thanks for the responses! I am reassured that this CM was misinformed, just like I suspected. The TA books with convention rates and I'm excited to book through them. Can't wait for our trip!!

Hi again,
So, I contacted a disney TA who was offered a quote for a stay at the Poly for 5 nights that beats our Disney website pricing for a stay at the Contemporary Resort by $1,300. So, it's essentially a 25% discount off of Disney's online pricing for the Polynesian. All other factors are the same (standard room, # of park tickets, park hopper, no dining plan, etc.) I called Disney to see if they can match it, as I'd prefer to control the reservation myself. Cast Member said they can't match it and spoke openly about being concerned that a TA could beat their pricing. She hinted that it could be dishonest somehow, as those agents will call them to book it and have the same pricing.

So, talk to me about how disney TA's. Is the cast member misinformed? This TA is listed as an Authorized Disney Vacation planner and has over 20 TA listed on the website. Hardly seems like a scam. ??

Last edited:
I have used a TA for 2 of our trips and would have for the 3rd if I didn't book a bounce back. She is a friend from high school so I do it more to help her. I still book all of my FP and ADR's. She was a great help when we were in the craziness of trying to get free dining on the day it was released. She had to do that. I was able to sit back and wait, however that is not what I was doing. I was giving her updates of what I was reading on the dis and was stressed until we got it. I was still able to get work done and did not have to wait on the phone for hours.

The CM is not informed at all. A phone CM is not in on every relationship the parent company has to book their rooms.

If it's a good TA, you should hear back quickly. I am a part-time TA and I try and respond immediately. If I can't get you the quote right away, I at least acknowledge that I received your note. If I can't get to someone because I'm on vacation, then I forward them to my agency owner and she takes care of them. I guess it depends if this TA is in business by herself or not.

Our prices usually are the same as Disney but you don't pay any extra to use one (or shouldn't) so why not let someone else handle the minor details so you can handle the rest?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! We've decided to book through an Authorized Disney Travel Agency because they're offering a significant discount. We've been reassured about how they get their discount rates (convention block pricing) and can't wait for our trip!!

I'm using a TA for the first time. It's definitely different as I am so used to having complete control over my reservation but the discount was too good to pass up. I wouldn't use one though if I didn't get a good discount..wouldn't be worth it much to me.

It seems like you have everything covered, but I wanted to add my agreement with the idea that booking through a TA doesn't cost you anything monetarily, and helps independent business. I know a lot of TA's I know have no problem doing the "leg work" of monitoring FD etc, and let you do the "fun" stuff. It's a win-win for me.

After planning 15 trips we are using a TA for the first time this year. She was recommended by a friend and we saved quite a bit. She has been very responsive to any questions I had. I made all our adr and fp. She got the magical experience and magic bands set up. We leave in 25 days so I will let you know how it was when I get back.

I was nervous using a TA for the first time last year but she was absolutely great and did as much or as little as I wanted. She booked the trip for us and I made the payments through her as well. I booke FP and ADRs myself as well as costumized my magic ands myself and have full use of MDE with the reservations linked. So it worked out well for us, and our TA was very easy to get in touch with she emailed back with replies quickly and was easy to reach by phone if need be. We really enjoyed our trip and working with the TA so we used her again this year. I only use a TA when their discount is better than what I can get on my own, but I've had no problem doing it that way and it's worked out well thus far!

I have never used a TA before but am considering it for our trip this year because of a great quote I received. I have a couple of questions if you awesome folks don't mind. Do TAs generally keep a look out for deals to come out (i.e. Free Dining) or do you need to ask them to check in to it? The price I have been quoted is over $800 cheaper than what we have booked direct right now. We are not dead set on our resort if we could get a better price/deal at another resort. We are currently booked at POP but have been looking at CBR or CSR (anyone have a preference?). Could I tell the TA that we are okay spending up to $XXXX as long as it includes these tickets and this dining plan? (I hope that made sense.)

I've had the experience of a slow to respond TA and one whom my husband swears knows my questions before I ask them. The first one I used because we hadn't been to WDW in over 10 years so I felt way out of the loop and wanted some help. She had what we thought were good suggestions to start but after we booked I found the DIs and learned so much more that I was frustrated when I would ask to change things and she was slow to get back to me. I knew about upcoming discounts before she did and had to ride her to get her to apply the discount. She had no interest in helping with ADRs or FP-which was when the new system was just rolling out. Next 3 trips I did myself. My job allowed me the time to chase discounts but I did enjoy having the flexibility of making a change as I needed. Then I saw all the buzz about the agency exclusive discounts and checked them out. I love my TA! She is so quick to respond, is willing to look for discounts when they come out, puts up with me changing my mind multiple times about rooms or hotels, sends me reminder emails about ADRs and FPs, offers to help if I need it. We have an agreement right now that I won't make a change before July, but we both know I'm likely to and we joke about it. I recommend her to anyone I know who is planning a trip and they think she's great too. I would do it myself if I had to but at this point I'll continue to use her.

I would only use a travel agent if they either provided a significant service or a discount. I've been promised by my TA for my Disney trip that she will inform me as soon as there are any additional discounts that I could take advantage of. She also is knowledgeable and I've been able to get some good information from her. For cruises (not Disney cruises), I have a TA from a "big box" store who's phenomenal. The cruise prises are cheaper through them and she gets price adjustments or room upgrades if the price goes down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter