• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using Birth Cert Rather Than Passport

DonaldFan88

Earning My Ears
We are on the Dream in February for the 4-night Bahamian itinerary. We have friends traveling with us with kids under 16 and they've decided to just have their kids use their BCs for identification rather than getting them passports. I know this is allowed but it makes us kind of nervous. Anyone used BCs instead of passports before? Anything to worry about?

We are on the Dream in February for the 4-night Bahamian itinerary. We have friends traveling with us with kids under 16 and they've decided to just have their kids use their BCs for identification rather than getting them passports. I know this is allowed but it makes us kind of nervous. Anyone used BCs instead of passports before? Anything to worry about?
Many people have used "just" birth certificates. This loop-hole is available to US citizens. For a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port) the minimum legal requirement is a birth certificate (not the hospital one) plus (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID.

As long as they have the necessary documents, there's no issue. I will point out, however, if for some reason they have to fly home from a foreign port, it will require a passport.

The only worry would be if the government changes the requirements before you cruise, or if anyone needs to fly home early from the cruise.

Many people have used "just" birth certificates. This loop-hole is available to US citizens. For a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port) the minimum legal requirement is a birth certificate (not the hospital one) plus (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID.

As long as they have the necessary documents, there's no issue. I will point out, however, if for some reason they have to fly home from a foreign port, it will require a passport.

The only worry would be if the government changes the requirements before you cruise, or if anyone needs to fly home early from the cruise.
Thanks!

That doesn't matter at all.

If they are all under 16 they don't have to use IDs. On an itinerary where BCs are allowed to be used, ANYONE can use them. The only addition is the IDs for 16+.

Yeah, I realize that after reading Shmoo's post. I wasn't sure about the answer myself, but where I work if a child is under the age of 8 we can open a trust account using a parent's identification, whereas any older would require an ID issued by the state. I was going to provide that information if OP didn't receive an answer yet in hopes it might help.

Thanks for your kind constructive post though! Albeit unnecessary since OP got their answer already. :worship:

What about for cruises where the only outside US stop is Castaway Cay, any issue there? As I remember, they don't check anything other than room key.
Castaway Cay does now have a ID checkpoint now. It was added in the last year. You need the photo ID (for 18 and above) in addition to the KTTW card to access the dock area. And the KTTW card to swipe onboard the ship.

Castaway Cay does now have a ID checkpoint now. It was added in the last year. You need the photo ID (for 18 and above) in addition to the KTTW card to access the dock area. And the KTTW card to swipe onboard the ship.

Right, but for kids there shouldn't be any issue there, they just need the card.

Don't be nervous. I have only used a bc for the kids' travel on cruises that require a bc (like what you're talking about). My wife and I got passports when we thought it would be mandatory. >$200 later and a change in regs made them a total waste of money. Just expired this past July and I NEVER needed them. If you needed to fly home you would get back into the country. Think of all the people who have their passport and photo id stolen when in a foreign country...they come back to the USA. PITA? Yes but your chances of getting in a car accident are much greater than needing to fly home from a cruise and I assume you let your kids travel in a car. I just don't want anyone to spend a lot of money if they don't need to. The cruise line and security don't bat an eye.

There is a risk but if you are realistically healthy and not accident prone or traveling over a holiday then it shouldn't be an issue. If you are traveling over a holiday and need to come back home with out a passport through anyway other than the boat it could mean a wait since the US embassy wouldn't be open and they are who have to verify you are a citizen.

Yes people lose their passports and IDs or have them stolen but it is not a simple or quick process to get back into the US if that happens unless you have a copy of your passport or someone you can reach with the information and the embassy is open when you need them.

I just want to emphasize this as I have seen many people have problems with this. It MUST be a state-issued birth certificate, with a raised seal, not one issued by the hospital. Make sure your friend has the proper one NOW. If they don't have the proper form of birth certificate, it can take 4 weeks or more to get it re-issued by the state that the child was born in.

My wife and I got passports when we thought it would be mandatory. >$200 later and a change in regs made them a total waste of money.

Which change in regulations? WHTI started in '07 and I believe was a tightening of restrictions, not a loosening. Though maybe I'm just thinking of Canada and not of Bahamas/Caribbean cruises.

If you needed to fly home you would get back into the country. Think of all the people who have their passport and photo id stolen when in a foreign country...they come back to the USA. PITA? Yes

The pita is that you get to get an emergency expedited passport that isn't even good for 10 years for an adult. :) I'd rather be on a plane with my current passport.

Everyone's got their own personal line in the sand. But to say they are useless is going too far, IMO. They are terrific identification, they get you on the ship, and they would get you home on a plane if that were necessary.

Plus they give you the whole world, not just Bahamas cruises.

It MUST be a state-issued birth certificate, with a raised seal, not one issued by the hospital.

Not all states have the *raised* seal. Ours has a flat, swirly colored seal.

Not all states have the *raised* seal. Ours has a flat, swirly colored seal.
Fair enough. 50 states. 50 seals. Point being, Official state seal, and not a photocopy, an "official" copy, whatever that means in their state, and again, not the state you live in, the state your child was born in.

This site is predisposed to worry, but you will be fine. Enjoy!

Which change in regulations?

Wasn't the belief back in 2005 that passports would be required for anyone entering or reentering US Borders?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-04-05-us-visits_x.htm

U.S. citizens will be required to show a passport to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, Panama, Bermuda and the Caribbean by 2008, the departments of State and Homeland Security announced Tuesday.

The change, which will be phased in over the next three years, is part of an ongoing effort to tighten border security after the 2001 terrorist attacks. Canadians, who now are the only foreigners allowed to enter the United States with only driver's licenses, also will need passports to head south across the border.

The new system will begin at the end of this year in the Caribbean and Bermuda, then Mexico and Canada. It will be put in place at airports and seaports first, then spread to land crossings.

We got them during that time as well...after we spent the money we learned they would not be required.

Honestly, I wouldn't take that responsibility with other ppl kids.

What if there is an medical emergency and you need to get on a plane departing from the Bahamas? :/ (Yes, the chances are slim, but it happens.)

I know the steps to get a passport are annoying but the passport is good for a while. Totally worth the investment of time and money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter