• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using cabs at WDW with an infant???

TNMomof3

Trying to earn my PhDVC!
We will be staying at ASMo with our 3 kids ages 8,6 and 7mos. We are bringing our Evenflo travel system (car seat/ stroller) We were planning on using the carseat for the airplane and the van (Yourride.net) to our resort. We were then planning on using the buses to get to the parks and using only the stroller portion. She will be too big to stay in the car seat part all day.

My question is -- what if we decide to take a taxi and only want our stroller with us and not the car seat part? I am the type that would never back out of my garage without the entire family buckled up. I know on the Disney buses we will have to hold her, but what about a cab?

We have 3 meals scheduled at other resorts - 'Ohana, Chef Mickey's, and Whispering Canyon. If in the interest of time we need to take a cab, what should I do with my 7 month old and her car seat? We will probably be heading to the parks after most of these dinners.

Thanks

How big are the lockers at the enterance of each of the parks? Could they be big enough to hold that car seat? Or sometimes if you call far enough in advance the taxi can come with a car seat....I have never tried that in WDW, but I have else where and it has worked well. I am very anal about car seats, so personally and this is just my view and I understand others might not agree, but I would bend over backwards to make sure she has a car seat for a cab ride.

-Tandy

I too ALWAYS make sure my dd is in a car seat - we always buy her a seat on the plane so that she is in a carseat etc. However, public transportation (taxis do fall in this category) is just not generally supportive of using carseats. When we took our dd to New York City about 14 months ago (she was 9 months at the time) we only took 2 taxis in 8 days because I just hated having her "unrestrained" - the rest of the time we walked so that we didn't have the worry.

I think you either have to decide to come to terms with the compromised safety of the situation when using a cab or you have to decide they are not worth the risk since carting a carseat around for cab rides just really isn't feasible in the vast majority of situations.

We solved the problem for our WDW trips by renting a car - that way we have our own carseat properly installed for any/all trips around WDW and Orlando.

:) :) :)
Rhonda

I think since she still fits in the carryable Infant seat you are lucky. Just use the car seat in the cab, and store the stroller in the back. Then when you get to the Parks, you can store the seat in the parks in the lockers I think. Someone may be able to give you the dimensions. If you have to lug the seat around with you, I think that would be preferable to not having a car seat. I have also had a strap system to carry with us on trips that I purchased from a catalogue that is a harness, 5 point, restraint without a seat. You use it with the adult seatbelt. Since I have never seen it crash tested, I worry about it a bit. But I figure it's better than nothing. Also One Step ahead catalogue has a Car Seat that turns into a stroller. I had bought one and we've used it a few times, but it works great. Same thing, though, I haven't seen it crash tested. But it seems to be a good idea. It costs about $180. It is handy if you travel a lot. I think the catalogue has a website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter