Using old magic band for a child?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
My brother's family is coming to visit (I live fairly close to Orlando) and we're going to stay a couple days at Wilderness Lodge and spend one day at MK. Their girls are almost 2 and 4 and this is sort of a "get their Disney feet wet" kind of thing.

For such a short trip and with no fastpass, there isn't enough of a need for magic bands to warrant purchasing them, but I really think the girls (especially the 4-year-old) would get a kick out of being able to open the door to our room with her magic band. Maybe even "paying" for breakfast or something. Can I link an old band of mine to the room and let her wear it? Would I still be able to have another band of mine functioning for me? Basically I guess I'm asking if I can have two magic bands that are under my name operating at the same time, and let my niece wear one of them.

Once a Magic Band has been linked to a person's identity, there is no way to link it to someone else's identity (even if it is due to a mistake made by a Disney cast member). You can of course have her wear one of your magic bands, but it'll have the same charging privileges as yours (i.e., if your niece accidently loses it).

You can have multiple bands for one person during that same trip. You are able to swap around colors or patterns for yourself, so there is no reason a different person can't use one for the doors. Sometimes the old bands don't work right with the room doors, but a trip to the front desk has always fixed it easily. Your account is protected by the pin and fingerprint. So anything that does not need those, can be used by a child.

If you give your niece one of your old bands, she will be able to open the doors, and use it to pay for breakfast, but I recommend not giving her the pin number and have an adult enter the pin.

1. Can I link an old band of mine to the room and let her wear it?
2. Would I still be able to have another band of mine functioning for me?
3. Basically I guess I'm asking if I can have two magic bands that are under my name operating at the same time, and let my niece wear one of them.
1. First-off, you (as a guest) can't "link an old MB" to anything. (And, you don't need to do that, anyway.)
If that MB (or any other that you have) is not deactivated, and shows in your MDX account, it will automatically still work at WDW.
2. Any MB that is in your MDX account will still work.
3. You can have any number of MBs, all working, interchangeably.
Anybody can wear and use your MB(s.)
(For good or bad, that person will have the same privileges as you do.)

Can I link an old band of mine to the room and let her wear it? Would I still be able to have another band of mine functioning for me? Basically I guess I'm asking if I can have two magic bands that are under my name operating at the same time, and let my niece wear one of them.
Yes multiple bands will have the same functions (all or nothing).

You can't link your nieces ticket to your band. MBs are linked to you and should show up under your account in MDE.

However she can wear it, use it to open the room door or even charge breakfast back to your room. You will still need to provide the PIN at point of purchase and have a credit card link to your room for charging privileges.

Dave

Just to be clear -- yes, your niece can "use" one of your old MBs. However, it will not access her ticket nor will it open her resort room door (unless you are sharing the same room). Any charges will go to your account, not her parents' account, if that matters.

If you want her to have a band that will do all of the above for her then you/her parents will need to purchase one. It can be one of the $5 bands since you have an onsite reservations, and if you have a fancier band you can just swap the pucks. That would let her wear "your" band but access her info.

Ok, so she'd be able to use it to open the door and maybe pay for something if an adult entered the pin, but she can't use it to get into the parks. I hadn't even considered that and that's fine.

I guess I never realized that ANY magic band in your name is good at any time. I sort of thought that you had to use the band issued for that trip. Although now that I think of it I did know that any band would work to get into the parks and for fastpasses, because we just used any old band for day trips. I just never knew that any of them could have opened our room door when we stayed on property.

If you want her to have a band that will do all of the above for her then you/her parents will need to purchase one. It can be one of the $5 bands since you have an onsite reservations, and if you have a fancier band you can just swap the pucks. That would let her wear "your" band but access her info.
Ahh, I didn't even think of this! I thought she might like to wear one of my "pretty" bands but if I get her her own cheap one I can switch out the pucks. We're sharing a villa so it's the same door.

Batteries last 2-4 years. But the battery is only needed for things that require the long range communication, which would be ride photos and interactive ride features like the good bye screens on Small World. For tapping into parks, using for payment, to unlock doors, and for photopass photos, those all use short range communication which does not require the battery. Those short range features will continue to work indefinitely.

Batteries last 2-4 years. But the battery is only needed for things that require the long range communication, which would be ride photos and interactive ride features like the good bye screens on Small World. For tapping into parks, using for payment, to unlock doors, and for photopass photos, those all use short range communication which does not require the battery. Those short range features will continue to work indefinitely.
Thanks! I had no idea. Need to dig out my old Mansion band then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter