Using Streaming Services in the US

marisabuzz

Mouseketeer
IIRC, some of the streaming services we use at home won't work while we are travelling in the US (I think because of CRTC restrictions?). We haven't been to the US for an extended time since 2019 so I can't recall what might work or not. Do any of these work using internet/wi-fi or will we need to download and watch offline?
  • Disney+
  • Netflix
  • Crave
  • Prime Video
I tried the VPN route once and it was a complete failure. Can't remember which one we tried but it was pure garbage.

Using them in the US will get you the US version of offerings. Somethings we get on Disney+ are on Hulu in the US so you won't get those, Netflix also has differences. Not sure about Prime.

Disney+, Netflix and Prime all switch to the US versions. My bell fibe app also locked me out of mostly everything so I don't know if crave would have worked.

Recording shows is also iffy. Most no longer work if you are not in the region they are offered anymore.

This is all good to know, thanks! I didn't know that the services switch to the US versions. Tried to see the catalogues of the US sites (Netflix in particular) and it keeps booting back to the CA site.

We're with Rogers and I think the same stuff happens. Locks us out if we are out of region. My guess is that means Crave is out.

I also just realized that season 6 of Better Call Saul isn't in Netflix (I'm still on season 4) but it is on Prime. I'm hoping I'll be able to catch up on the trip.

I used the site justwatch to find out if a show I could not watch at home was available on any of my existing plans in the states. It's not always updated. But still useful.

Discovery+ does not work (so I use my brothers US account if in the US) I have Bell Satellite and I'm able to watch Recordings from my PVR on the Bell Fibe App - just can't watch live.

Anything that the US also offers(Netflix, D+, Prime, Apple TV) will work with similar selections, however anything Canada exclusive(Crave, Ignite, Fibe, Disney+ STARZ section) will not.

We were in the US a couple weeks ago. I really found that Prime and Disney+ had much slimmer offerings than what I get on my Canadian account. Prime is due to all of the add-on packages (Stack, Hayu, etc.) that do not work outside of Canada. Disney+ seemed to be missing the STAR content. Also Crave did not work across the border.

It's not a CRTC limitation. It's what countries the streaming service licensed to provide content. In general Canada-only services show nothing. Global services vary. The more add-ons you have the less you'll see because that content is typically licensed to another streaming services.

Discovery+ does not work (so I use my brothers US account if in the US) I have Bell Satellite and I'm able to watch Recordings from my PVR on the Bell Fibe App - just can't watch live.
Good to know. We're with Rogers, but I assume it'll be similar for us. I SOOOO want to add Discovery+ to our streaming services. Just don't know what provider is best. Telus has a bundle right now but we don't use the top tier Netflix service so it doesn't seem worth it for us.
We were in the US a couple weeks ago. I really found that Prime and Disney+ had much slimmer offerings than what I get on my Canadian account. Prime is due to all of the add-on packages (Stack, Hayu, etc.) that do not work outside of Canada. Disney+ seemed to be missing the STAR content. Also Crave did not work across the border.
This makes me sad. Like how limited was Prime and Disney+? You'd think this would be more expansive since the service is available in both countries.
It's not a CRTC limitation. It's what countries the streaming service licensed to provide content. In general Canada-only services show nothing. Global services vary. The more add-ons you have the less you'll see because that content is typically licensed to another streaming services.
Thanks for clarifying. Didn't really look into why we couldn't get some content; just assumed it was a CRTC thing.

I also just realized that season 6 of Better Call Saul isn't in Netflix (I'm still on season 4) but it is on Prime. I'm hoping I'll be able to catch up on the trip.

OMG I am so so sad I did not know this before .... only one episode is available to watch right now on Prime - I should have started when it started!

OMG I am so so sad I did not know this before .... only one episode is available to watch right now on Prime - I should have started when it started!
OMG I just checked and you're right. This makes me sad too as I thought we could catch up on season 6 while on vacay. :(

Even though we have the streaming services here,,on vaca,,2 tvs in the 1bdrm,,never looked for remote once in 10 days,,,didnt want to know any news or anything,,just eating on balcony enjoying view that we dont get every day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter