Utah/Arizona ABD in summer?

floridadream

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone-

We’re considering our 2nd ABD for next summer... Grand Canyon (Utah/Arizona). Does anyone know what the weather is like in terms of heat? I imagine it’s hot but is it “I would never go even if I could only go in summer hot?” Also, any general feedback on this trip is welcomed- thank you!

We did this trip for spring break this year. In mid-March we had snow at the Grand Canyon, so that was interesting! I can't comment about the weather in the summer since our season was different, but I would guess you'd be fine regardless of the weather. The GC is high elevation-wise so it'll be cooler than the surrounding areas. Sedona may be hot but it would be ok for the jeep tour, and at the hotel you can pass time in the pool or doing things that don't involve hiking mid-day if you want. We did our hiking for sunrise and sunset anyway, and those would be the cooler times of day.

I don't think Monument Valley would be bad because you travel in a vehicle to explore rather than hiking. And in Moab we got to the park first thing in the morning, so while there is hiking there (and it may be hot) they will probably have you doing it early in the morning. The rafting should be great that time of year. In March it was so cold people were reluctant to go.

We were on the Disney ABD to Australia and it was 105 degrees in Uluru when we were supposed to be hiking. The guides were great about making it work, and somehow we still managed. So I think you can trust that ABD will make it a great experience whenever you choose to go.

Grand Canyon and Moab regularly see 100 degree days in the summer. We are from Texas and would only consider these places outside of summer.

We have not spent time at the Grand Canyon, but have visited the Utah national parks twice---once in mid March and once in late April. Both times, we'd start out in winter coats for early (7 or 8am) hiking but would quickly warm up from physical activity and the day's temperature. By lunchtime everyone would be in long-sleeve tshirts only. (I would also recommend coats if you take a springtime boat ride near Canyonlands NP bc of the boat wind.)

It would be difficult to imagine enjoying much of the outdoor activities in Utah in summer 100 degree temps with the exception of whitewater rafting. It really is an easy area to do OYO, but full disclosure we are not group tour national parks people. They are easy trips to research, safe places to travel, and we enjoy the flexibility and tranquility of hiking, wildlife spotting, etc. on our own vs. with a big group. So...for our family we couldn't imagine enduring brutally hot temperatures when you can have a (better to us) trip OYO at spring break time.

However, y'all might have completely different preferences on national park travel. If doing the GC/Utah trip with ABD is a huge preference, I'm sure you'll still have a wonderful trip and the scenery (being mostly rock formations) remains great year-round.

For this reason we went last year as soon as school was out. I think it was late May or early June. Weather was great -- only one triple digit day which I think occurred when we were in the Grand Cyn.

We were on this adventure the last week of June 2018. I was so worried about the heat, but it was fine! Mornings were often cool (we needed light hoodies/sweater), and yes, it was hot mid day, but bearable. The guides gave us plenty of detail about a hike as to how strenuous it would be, so I actually sat one out because it was mid day/ longer/ no shade. I regretted that some when DH said it wasn’t bad. And—there are always water & salty snacks available.

If this was the best time for us to go, I’d do it again. The heat wouldn’t deter me!

I went mid-August for the Southwest Splendors trip, honestly it wasn't bad, and I'm from Michigan

We took this trip in the first week of July. The day we arrived in Phoenix is was 113 degrees, which sound horrible, but was only really bad in the sun. Once we were out of Phoenix, temps were in upper 80's to 90's. We were never uncomfortable, but we're used to high humidity with our 90+ degree summer heat, so I guess it's what you're used to.

I was going to do this itinerary on my own actually 1st week July.
Will wait for ABD in a more complicated area... ie not my country, or language. $$$
I have been to Sedona before so I knew rest of trip should be amazing as well. We stayed at Enchantment and it is AMAZING!!!! Been dreaming of going back since. Concierge brings you to room . He shows us view and he randomly says.... you see that mountain over there.... I’m like yea.... That was Walt Disney’s inspiration for Big mountain thunder railroad. Now he dosemt even know I’m a Disney nut.. LOL . Let’s just say it breathtaking and started the vaca of right ;-)

In my research it is hot yes!!! But a dry heat ... not Florida (WDW) humid.
If this is the best time of year ... I would not hesitate.
I changed my mind because a friend invited me to timeshare in Cabo.... looks amazing so for miles and $650 all inclusive plan.... cheap vaca with friends :-)
Happy planning
That itinerary looks amazing!!!
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter