V & A Observations

Not that we'd ever go to V&A, we can't appreciate food enough
But I am curious as to what fits in the definition of "sandal"
I know this type of shoe is

But what about this
43024-01.jpg

The rest of the dress code is pretty easy to figure out. Women's dress shoes and sandals can be a pretty grey area. Unless, they mean the shoe MUST be closed.

The V&A dress code is clear. OP, don’t see anything wrong with your comment here.

Of course we never know if the women were surprised with this and unprepared or if there is a reason why the one woman must wear Crocs. The point is that you were stressed about what to wear, got there and there was a group dressed much more casually. That’s chuckle worthy IMO. It’s not like you’re saying the attire ruined your evening. Perfectly legitimate observation. I’m sure you weren’t staring at her Crocs all night :)

In general, my motto is “mind your own biscuits and life will gravy.” Personally don’t think you are being judgmental, just witnessed a clear violation of the explained dress code. What you witnessed clearly breaks the V&A rule unless there was an extenuating circumstance at play. Did they somehow not get the memo?

Last edited:
In general, my motto is “mind your own biscuits and life will gravy.” Personally don’t think you are being judgmental, just witnessed a clear violation of the explained dress code. What you witnessed clearly breaks the V&A rule unless there was an extenuating circumstance at play. Did they somehow not get the memo?

I posted to kvetch a little, but primarily I wanted future diners to not stress the dress code. Weeks prior I spent an evening searching disboards for info on how strict V&A was about attire, maybe this can bring some piece of mind to other members.

Follow-up to Did they not get the memo...V&A emailed me about the dress code and then phoned me a week prior to the reservation to go over the dress code again....guess the other diners could have missed the communications or like you said had a medical condition....?

I probably wouldn't have even mentioned the crocs but for the fact when I was sharing pictures of the waiter carving the butter chef's hat at our table, the crocs made it into that picture...! Too funny now...so I guess it makes for a good story. Who else will have a picture like that to remember V&A?

While we wouldn't do it every trip, my son and I also enjoyed our experience at V&As. We didn't upgrade but did get the wine pairings. I didn't eat but a bite of every bread service and didn't finish any of my dishes except the very first one, my son finished most of mine for me until we got to the entre then he was getting full. We both could only take one bite of our desserts and the chocolates had to go home with me. I wore a wedge type sandal, dressy but it was open toe and open heel, I did wear a cocktail type dress that one would wear to a summer outside wedding and my son wore a jacket but not a tie. It was August and even though we took Uber it was still uncomfortable for him in that jacket.

Not that we'd ever go to V&A, we can't appreciate food enough
But I am curious as to what fits in the definition of "sandal"
I know this type of shoe is

But what about this
43024-01.jpg

The rest of the dress code is pretty easy to figure out. Women's dress shoes and sandals can be a pretty grey area. Unless, they mean the shoe MUST be closed.
Love this! If we ever decide to go, I would absolutely need to clarify this when I was called. I know exactly what I would wear. I have a stunning, very elegant black cocktail dress that I bought on an amazing sale and can't find anywhere dressy enough at home. My dress shoes look like these with lower heals.

I can't imagine not eating the bread at V&As, it is my favorite part (with the wines), but I love carbs a little too much. I am sorry you did not enjoy your dessert, I have dreams of the V&A vanilla bean creme brule with coffee service.

The sandals thing confuses me every time. I know that I can't wear anything that even remotely has a piece that goes between my toes, but my dressiest shoes are classified as 'sandals' by Nordstrom, but I would feel 100% comfortable wearing them to the fanciest of weddings, it just confuses me...

@anita46 Im in 100% agreement on the beef, disappointed in the Miyazaki Wagyu it wasnt cooked nearly enough for the high fat content to even begin to melt and was cut too thick for it to happen when you ate it, can't wait to have the Australian Kobe and the 4 day demi glace again 6 months from yesterday!

What desserts did you have so I know not to order them?

What desserts did you have so I know not to order them?

We weren't given an option they just brought out two consecutive desserts followed by the chocolates (which we took back to the room)
  • The first was a red layered square kind of mushy thing with an indistinct fruit flavor...(maybe strawberry?)
  • The chocolate dessert was blah shiny chocolate mound over mushy insides...not a custard but could have been wet lady fingers...?
  • The chocolates were a little too waxy - good just not great...though the choc. covered cherries with brandy were the stand-out.

@anita46 sounds gross.

We requested the souffles last time and received some sort of green apple concoction as the other dessert both were good. The time after that was a different souffle and the chocolate "sea urchin" thing, also both good.

I'll make sure to do the same this time around.

Would have loved a choc soufflé...we always order the chocolate soufflé at Shula's....yum all warm and gooey.

Would have loved a choc soufflé...we always order the chocolate soufflé at Shula's....yum all warm and gooey.

Shula's is on par, if not better in some ways than the Victoria and Albert's one. I enjoyed the Gran Mariner Souffle at Victoria and Alberts slightly more than the Chocolate Souffle's at Shula's and Victoria and Albert's

Shula's is on par, if not better in some ways than the Victoria and Albert's one. I enjoyed the Gran Mariner Souffle at Victoria and Alberts slightly more than the Chocolate Souffle's at Shula's and Victoria and Albert's

I won't leave the desserts to chance at our next visit...I am beginning to suspect that there may have been an issue in the kitchen that affected our desserts...they were just so off from the rest of the meal. In fact I will put in a special request for the Grand Marnier Souffle next time we visit....can't wait!

I can't imagine not eating the bread at V&As, it is my favorite part (with the wines), but I love carbs a little too much. I am sorry you did not enjoy your dessert, I have dreams of the V&A vanilla bean creme brule with coffee service.

The sandals thing confuses me every time. I know that I can't wear anything that even remotely has a piece that goes between my toes, but my dressiest shoes are classified as 'sandals' by Nordstrom, but I would feel 100% comfortable wearing them to the fanciest of weddings, it just confuses me...
I've definitely worn sandals there. I can't walk very well in heels and they hurt my feet. But my dress covered my feet so they might not have noticed my footwear. It does have gold glitter so its a fancier sandal.

I always wear an open toe strappy high heel to V&A’s. I think the sandal they don’t want you to wear is more for sandals like the first one pictured earlier in AngiTN’s post...Cute sandals you might wear with a beach dress. High heeled “sandals” are probably fine. I’ve received compliments on strappy open toe heels from V&A staff so those are definitely fine. ;) As for the croc wearers, there could have been a previously discussed foot issue. I once wore my Teva sandals to V&A’s. :scared1: To be fair though I pointed them out immediately and apologized. I had planned to wear heels but I finished the Disney Marathon that morning and the heels were definitely not happening. I figured the Tevas would go over better than my running shoes. I only bring so many shoes on a trip. I was still very self conscious in my out of place shoes but only when I arrived, used the restroom, and left. Otherwise I didn’t think about it and enjoyed the wonderful food as always. :goodvibes My husband and I also wore our Goofy Challenge medals to dinner (and we saw a few other diners with their medals there as well) so I’m sure that helped to distract from the shoes. :laughing:

Unless there was a specific medical issue, Im a little surprised they even let them in wearing Crocs. I love mine, but this is not the place in the least. I don't think they'd let a man in without a jacket.

Unless there was a specific medical issue, Im a little surprised they even let them in wearing Crocs. I love mine, but this is not the place in the least. I don't think they'd let a man in without a jacket.

They don't. If a man shows up without a jacket, they loan him a jacket.

I've also been confused by the "sandal" rule. I always wear a strappy silver sandal, low heel (but dressy), and it's felt like the perfect thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter