vacation package or individually?

April in Wonderland

Earning My Ears
Planning my families first trip in (hopefully) Sept 2016. My DH, myself, DD 12, DDs 11 (twins) and DD 10. We are going to be bringing the popup from Pennsylvania and staying at the fort. Looking for any pointers to help with the planning.

I was wondering what are the pros and cons between booking a Vacation Package and purchasing campsite and tickets separatly? I like the idea of paying campsite first. Then paying for the tickets. But will i be missing out on specials if I separate them?

Also any suggestions regarding loops for popups?

Really any info will help.

I've been reading a lot of trip posts lately and love them all! I can't wait to add one of my own!

Hi April in Wonderland! Welcome.

You won't find a better place to camp!

As far as pointers go, make time to enjoy the beauty and everything the Fort has to offer. You can never have enough Fort days in my book. There is so much to do and daily & nightly activities for the kiddos. You won't get board just hanging around.

I don't see how you would save any money with a vacation package at the Fort. There are not any discounts offered and I would book your trip as soon as possible. We already have our 2016 trip booked.

If you just need full hook up and no dump then any loop would do and you could book just the pop up/tent site. This saves you $$$. Lots of pop ups in the 1500 & 2000 loop that is shared with tents.

I always separate mine and buy discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist or AAA, depending on where I can find the best deal. This is also helpful because you don't have to prepay your package and just have a one night's deposit with Disney in case you need to change or cancel.

Does your popup have sewer? (Mine does, so I always want hookups). I prefer the premium sites because they don't have that pressed shell tent pad, which tracks into your popup really easily, almost like sand at the beach - and I like to be close to everything. If you plan to also take a tent you might want that pad. The cons are that it is more expensive, and that you are often neighbors with giant rigs. That doesn't bother me, so that's just my preference. If you have a popup with no sewer and don't need hookups then you really do have a wide range of spots to choose from.

You'll love the Fort.

I'm another one who seperates my room/campsite and tickets. There probably won't be any discounts for Disney on campsites but I keep looking! I saw popups on all the loops on our recent trip, and like I ❤️ Peterpan said you can book any type site you like best but if you need sewer you'll need at lest a full hookup site

I concur with everyone else. We've almost always bought tickets separately. Easy enough to link up now with the magicbands so there is really no difference except maybe a little tchotchke like a framed pin or lithograph or luggage tag or something else that you really don't need anyway (not sure if they even do this anymore anyway). We've had very smooth transactions with Undercover Tourist through the Mousesavers newsletter link multiple times and continue to use them.

If you don't need a full hook up, the 1500 loop is my favorite!

There is not any financial advantage to booking a package versus booking the parts individually that I'm aware of. If anything the requirement to have the trip prepaid before arrival and the tighter restrictions on cancellations or refunds are actually a DISadvantage. The only plus is convenience which in my book obviously is not enough reason to go the package route.

Regarding loops for popups, I've been taking a popup to the Fort for 10 years and stayed in all levels of loops except Full. The Tent/Partial loops, which are the least expensive at the Fort, are an option for you. However, many of the folks here VASTLY prefer 1500 loop over 2000 and 1500 is hard to get into because it has so few sites and is so frequently requested. As far as the other levels, they are closer together in price than they have been so I tend to book whatever level based on location that I want at the time.

Last three trips I've requested Preferred (100-200) and got 100 once, 200 once, and got bumped to 400 (Premium) across the street once (didn't have to pay the extra on the rate since they moved me, I didn't request it). I like being down in the Trails End/beach area. Before that I did a few Tent loops then had a Premium phase and requested 900 (near the main Trading Post, pool, campfire) several times (once got bumped next door to 1000).

It feels a little weird in a Premium site simply because the site is so big and felt so small inside it (tons of space for parking vehicles). Sometimes the dates you are looking for only have some site types unavailable. So it's up to location preference and budget.

Bama Ed

Hi April in Wonderland! Welcome.

You won't find a better place to camp!

As far as pointers go, make time to enjoy the beauty and everything the Fort has to offer. You can never have enough Fort days in my book. There is so much to do and daily & nightly activities for the kiddos. You won't get board just hanging around.

I don't see how you would save any money with a vacation package at the Fort. There are not any discounts offered and I would book your trip as soon as possible. We already have our 2016 trip booked.

If you just need full hook up and no dump then any loop would do and you could book just the pop up/tent site. This saves you $$$. Lots of pop ups in the 1500 & 2000 loop that is shared with tents.
Thanks so much for the info! I loved your tent set up and reading about your most recent trip! :-)

I always separate mine and buy discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist or AAA, depending on where I can find the best deal. This is also helpful because you don't have to prepay your package and just have a one night's deposit with Disney in case you need to change or cancel.

Does your popup have sewer? (Mine does, so I always want hookups). I prefer the premium sites because they don't have that pressed shell tent pad, which tracks into your popup really easily, almost like sand at the beach - and I like to be close to everything. If you plan to also take a tent you might want that pad. The cons are that it is more expensive, and that you are often neighbors with giant rigs. That doesn't bother me, so that's just my preference. If you have a popup with no sewer and don't need hookups then you really do have a wide range of spots to choose from.

You'll love the Fort.

No, our popup doesn't have sewer. Bummer! So was hoping to find something in close range to a comfort station and bus stop (not sure if we will have room for 6 bikes). And our budget won't cover a golf cart.

I concur with everyone else. We've almost always bought tickets separately. Easy enough to link up now with the magicbands so there is really no difference except maybe a little tchotchke like a framed pin or lithograph or luggage tag or something else that you really don't need anyway (not sure if they even do this anymore anyway). We've had very smooth transactions with Undercover Tourist through the Mousesavers newsletter link multiple times and continue to use them.

If you don't need a full hook up, the 1500 loop is my favorite!

Thank you Kristin! That was my next question about the magicbands. I wasn't sure if we would still be eligible for them. Glad to know we will be. They seem very convenient.:)

There is not any financial advantage to booking a package versus booking the parts individually that I'm aware of. If anything the requirement to have the trip prepaid before arrival and the tighter restrictions on cancellations or refunds are actually a DISadvantage. The only plus is convenience which in my book obviously is not enough reason to go the package route.

Regarding loops for popups, I've been taking a popup to the Fort for 10 years and stayed in all levels of loops except Full. The Tent/Partial loops, which are the least expensive at the Fort, are an option for you. However, many of the folks here VASTLY prefer 1500 loop over 2000 and 1500 is hard to get into because it has so few sites and is so frequently requested. As far as the other levels, they are closer together in price than they have been so I tend to book whatever level based on location that I want at the time.

Last three trips I've requested Preferred (100-200) and got 100 once, 200 once, and got bumped to 400 (Premium) across the street once (didn't have to pay the extra on the rate since they moved me, I didn't request it). I like being down in the Trails End/beach area. Before that I did a few Tent loops then had a Premium phase and requested 900 (near the main Trading Post, pool, campfire) several times (once got bumped next door to 1000).

It feels a little weird in a Premium site simply because the site is so big and felt so small inside it (tons of space for parking vehicles). Sometimes the dates you are looking for only have some site types unavailable. So it's up to location preference and budget.

Bama Ed

Thank you Bama_ed! As I've noticed from other threads that you have posted on, your information is always helpful. I think i will try to request loop 1500. I know it is not guaranteed. But hopefully they will be able to get us close to a comfort station!

Anything else anyone can think of to add, I would greatly appreciate it. Im so excited!:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

I would call and have them note on your reservation your request to be close to a comfort station & a bus line. I believe you can check 2 preferences in the online check in. However, you can not add comments about your lack of bikes and funds for cart this trip. You could request 1500 and that would put you in very close walking distance to the Meadows Store, Pool & .8 mile to the outpost (Trails End & boats). Never would hurt to make an extra call and request they note that :)

On the magicbands and My Disney Experience - I had read that it is easiest to link the tickets using the smartphone app rather than on a PC. I've done it for two trips now and it really is easy. The app has you scan the QR code on the ticket and then link it to a member on your MDE profile. Easy peasy!

I would call and have them note on your reservation your request to be close to a comfort station & a bus line. I believe you can check 2 preferences in the online check in. However, you can not add comments about your lack of bikes and funds for cart this trip. You could request 1500 and that would put you in very close walking distance to the Meadows Store, Pool & .8 mile to the outpost (Trails End & boats). Never would hurt to make an extra call and request they note that :)
How do you book online for 2016? I've only seen through Dec 2015.

Online is only available for a certain amount of time. You can book up to 499 days out from your trip, but it would have to be done over the phone.

This is true, April. To expand, you can call on the phone and make a reservation up to the 499 day limit (can't recall if that's to day of arrival or including all days). The reservation will be made and quoted at the 2015 rates and you will pay a deposit as usual (if it's a room only reservation). Once the 2016 rates come out, your reservation automatically updates to whatever rates apply to your dates.

Disney sets resort rates during the summer. In the past it's varied anywhere between June and early August. However, once the rates are set for 2016, the online tool is updated pretty quickly. We talk about the upcoming rates here on the DIS so you'll know when the new rates are coming out.

Historically September is not a busy month at the Fort but that is in the time of year where Disney has offered free dining in the past (not available at the campsites) so the hotels on property offering FD are full and thus the parks are more full as well.

Bama Ed

I just looked up the prices on undercover tourist and it's about $100 savings bewtween the package and booking seperately on a 14 day trip with 8 days int he parks with Hopper and Water Parks fun and More. I have a some questions for those who have booked seperately with Undercover tourist before.

1) how are the magic bands sent? is that part of the tickets they send?
2) can you add a memory maker through undercover tourist? didn't see that on there, but I didn't look all that much
3)If I book without the add ons (WP&more and Park Hopper) can I add them later somehow? I think I can once I get to the parks, but can I add them on the site if I want to add once I link the tickets to my reservation?

1) Magic Bands come from Disney. You customize your colors etc. on your MDE account online. UT just sends you the plastic admission cards, you then link that admission to your party members in MDE, which in turn is linked to their Magic Bands.
2) Memory Maker is booked also through MDE...nothing to do with UT.
3) I believe you can only do the add ons once you are at the parks with Guest Services. I haven't done an add on, but I know there isn't any place on MDE to add to your admission.

Once again I was almost ready to post some questions, and after a quick perusal of other posts, got my answers! Love this place. Thank you OP and especially bama_ed! I think I may call today and make a ressie for our Jan 2016 Go Big, Turn 50, Livin' our Dream! :yay:

I just looked up the prices on undercover tourist and it's about $100 savings bewtween the package and booking seperately on a 14 day trip with 8 days int he parks with Hopper and Water Parks fun and More. I have a some questions for those who have booked seperately with Undercover tourist before.

1) how are the magic bands sent? is that part of the tickets they send?
2) can you add a memory maker through undercover tourist? didn't see that on there, but I didn't look all that much
3)If I book without the add ons (WP&more and Park Hopper) can I add them later somehow? I think I can once I get to the parks, but can I add them on the site if I want to add once I link the tickets to my reservation?

According to various threads I've read (you can do a search), if you want to upgrade your UT tickets, use them once before you upgrade them. If you don't, you will have to pay the difference between the UT price and the WDW price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter