Vacation recap...

jrbarnes

Mouseketeer
Just got back from our trip last weekend...cant believe it is over already.

Here is a brief recap of our trips in regards to dining.

Turf Bar and Grill- Saratoga Springs. We stayed at SSR and decided to take in this restuarant one evening. We had a party of 10, 5 of them kids. The service was excellent and the food was pretty good. The kids all had something off the new healthy kids menu. FYI, the picture of the chicken on the menu does it NO justice. The chicken that comes looks like a nice piece of grilled chicken, and it tasted good too. Fruit and veggies plate was pretty good as was the chicken pita pizza. You can get the pita pizza without chicken if you want, which our kids did do. Few of the adults had the Penne Pasta with Shrimp that was excellent. One of them had it with chicken, also very good. I had the cheeseburger, average. Overall a very acceptable dinner and the cost is typical disney fashion.

Sci Fi Diner -- I know there has been mixed reviews on this place, however, our family really enjoys it. The cheeseburgers are the best I have eaten anywhere in Disney World. Onion rings are very good and the shakes are top notch. Kids menu is the healthy one... so the kids did that again, varying which item they ate.

Concourse steakhouse -- again, party of 10. The service was average at best.... borderline bad. Parties of 10, with 5 kids tend to do this... but this was a bit worse than the typical. The kids were looking forward to this dinner... they all love steaks. They all ordered the kids filet. I asked to make sure that the cut of meat was really filet and not something else, it was actually a filet, just smaller size. When the food came they had some type of gravy on the steaks that had a strong flavor of some sort.... none of us could put our finger on it, maybe ginger... but the question is.. Why do you put some mystery gravy on a kids steak?? We ended up swapping out our steaks (no mystery gravy) to the kids and the adults ate the kids steak. Overall an average steak both for the kids and adults at best. WIth the service level and the average steaks, we would not recommend it. There are much better steakhouses at Disney that dont cost that much more... we will be trying a different one next time.

Chef Mickey's Breakfast -- not much more can be said about this that hasnt been said already. it is a buffet character breakfast. The food spread is pretty good and the character interaction is very good. This year we got a special surprise... as I walked to our table the manager walked over and said, "It appears that you are a little wet?" (I just came in from the pouring rain last Thurs morning)... I commented that the roof must be leaking in the hotel (joking)... he gave me 20% off our bill for our troubles... We always do one character breakfast each visit to Disney... Chef Mickeys is our favorite.

Bakery on Main Street. If you have managed to avoid the urges to go into the bakery as you walk down main street and get a whiff of that smell.. you are MUCH stronger than I am. Exiting the park one night I gave in.... We had the cinnamon roll and the cheesecake and strawberries. WOW... best dessert in Disney. We wont miss it from now on, that is for sure!!

Ghiradelli in downtown Disney -- It certainly is not the cheapest and the lines are usually pretty long, but it really is very good ice cream. We enjoy it most every trip to Disney.

We also ate at a few of the counter service places, but no reason to go into a review of these. It has been done many times before. I have nothing new to add.

Hopefully you will find this review helpful.

jrbarnes said:
Concourse steakhouse -- again, party of 10. The service was average at best.... borderline bad. Parties of 10, with 5 kids tend to do this... but this was a bit worse than the typical. The kids were looking forward to this dinner... they all love steaks. They all ordered the kids filet.

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading your reviews.

I thought that Concourse had the new kids' menu. Did they have it when you were there? Were you able to get the kids' filet anyway? Thanks for the tip about the sauce on the steaks, too; that's good to know.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

I think they did have the same new kids menu yes.. but I have found that MANY places have more than just that new healthy menu.

jrbarnes said:
I think they did have the same new kids menu yes.. but I have found that MANY places have more than just that new healthy menu.

That's good news! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter