Vacationing in the US without kids...where would you go?

Frwinkley

DIS Veteran
We are a childless couple (for now) and want to plan a trip for May. Our original plan is Italy, but we're not sure if that will work.

We are looking for a place that you wouldn't really want to take kids. Vegas is out; we've been there and it's just not our thing. Beach vacations are out too. We find them a bit boring,

We love good food, wine and really nice resorts. We live on the East Coast and are willing to fly anywhere.

We like sightseeing, some relaxation, shopping. I'm thinking a city (not NY or Boston since we live on the east coast). I'm not sure if national parks are for us--I'm thinking I would save those types of things for when we have kids.

Somewhere out west? San Francisco and Napa maybe.

It's a beautiful old city that's fun to explore and has lots of things to do within close driving distance. There's also many spas and resorts for adults nearby. It's one of my favorite places to go and it's very different from the Northeast. If you go, rent a convertible. It will be fun for the drive from Albuquerque. Most people fly into Albuquerque and drive to Santa Fe.

How about Sedona? Red Rock country is spectacular and unlike anywhere else if you have never been. Or even Phoenix/Scottsdale if you want a city. Can take a day teip

I used to love San Francisco, but it is not the same beautiful place it used to be to me. Maybe wine country if you want to go to California.

Austin is another cool city many people love.

Have fun choosing and planning!

Three West coast suggestions:
San Diego - stay at Del Coronado, visit Balboa park and Gaslamp district. Drive up the coast to San Francisco stopping along the way to see Hearst Castle. Lots of pretty beach towns along the way.
San Francisco -stay in city, ride the streetcar, visit Alcatraz, bike across the Golden Gate, drive up to wine country.
Portland, Oregon - spend a few days on the coast (very different from East Coast!). Then drive up Columbia Gorge to see waterfalls then down past Mt. Hood to Bend then to Crater Lake. If you have time, dip down into No. Cal to see redwoods. Circle back up to Portland or fly out of Eugene.

I have never been to Napa myself, but I am into wine. That would be my "dream vacation".

I am assuming they would have some kind of sight seeing, shopping, relaxing and food too. If not... you still have wine. :thumbsup2

Napa - do some wine tours so you don't have to drive

Colorado Springs (The Broadmoor) - we did a family vacation here and loved it! It's a pricy place, which is why I was thinking it would be good without kids. Lots to do in the area, and it's gorgeous.

Philadelphia - My local tourist spot. There's lots to see and do here plus it's not far from NYC so you could split your time. Also several awesome restaurants that I wouldn't bring my kids to because they wouldn't appreciate it (Vetri is my favorite).

My husband and I drove from Detroit to Savannah, the east coast of Florida to Key West( stayed 4 nights, then west coast of Florida to Destin area through Nashville and home. We stopped in different cities along the way for a night or two depending what we wanted to see and explore there. It was a two week vacation. We had a terrifc time. ETA locations where we stayed a night or two. Hilton Head, Savannah, Tybee Island, St. Augustine, Jupiter, Miami, Key West, Sanibel, crystal Springs, Destin

Last edited:
We like sightseeing, some relaxation, shopping. I'm thinking a city (not NY or Boston since we live on the east coast). I'm not sure if national parks are for us--I'm thinking I would save those types of things for when we have kids.

Somewhere out west? San Francisco and Napa maybe.

National parks are great if you love outdoors and hiking. Plus, you can always go again when the kids are older. We did a 3 week national park road trip before kids. It was great. Now that the kids are older and are able to hike without being carried, we’ve gone back to a few of those parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter