Vacations during a natural disaster, who else has had one?

I was in Japan in 1995 just days after the big earthquake in Kobe. I was a school trip and there were string after shocks the we could feel. we did have to travel through Kobe on our way south. We had to get off the train, walk through the city and board a train on the other side as the track was not passable.

Uhhhhh we had to drive home from vacation racing with the Great Tornado of 2011 at our backs! From Sioux Falls to Rapid City, then the switchbacks through Yellowstone National, and back up through the AB border crossing!!!

We all still maintain that if the truck hadn't been carrying my household goods to import, with about 1500 pounds of books, we probably would have been flipped off the road by the wind. But... small miracles!

We were stick at WDW on a business trip for a hurricane. I don't remember which one. It was a long time ago. They couldn't extend us at Boardwalk, so they put us up at the Disney Institute. (That's how long ago!) We spent some time at Disney Quest and then surprised our cousins (some were locals) at Ohana for dinner. Back then you could just add two more people to your reservation. That's how long ago! LOL

We too were at WDW for Hurricane Jeanne in 2004. It was DH and myself (~5 months pregnant at the time) and we stayed at POR. I remember the MK being empty the day before it hit as people were leaving the area. We had flown out form the west coast and were planning to tough it out. They announced that the park was closing early ~6pm or so, and we had dinner reservations at LTT shortly before the park was to be closed. It was eerie walking through a deserted MK after our dinner as there was ~6 people total on Main Street. The parks were not crowded the rest of the trip. I do recall that the food court following the hurricane was a complete nightmare with food running out. We learned to stock up on food next time and possibly stay at a deluxe like WL or AKL which we heard had entertainment in the lobbies.

We cruised DCL during Hurricane Omar in October 2008. We had to sail quite far out of our way to avoid some storms. We then had to leave St. Maarten early, as Omar was heading that way. The storm wiped out the bar we had spent the afternoon it on Maho Beach. We ended up going to Nassau instead of St. Thomas. We had some pretty wavy days at sea, but we all had a great time, and we were not concerned for our safety at all.

We were caught in Cancun during hurricane Wilma, and last October at Universal during hurricane (whoever?) that blew up the Atlantic coastline...the second experience was far better than the first!

Evacuated from Cancun during Hurricane Emily in July 2005. Fortunately the storm passed somewhat south of Cancun and it wasn't too bad. We were bused to a community recreation center about 10 miles inland and were there from about noon until 4 pm the following day.

We were vacationing in Ocean City, NJ the week Hurricane Irene approached in 2011. Authorities recommended evacuating by Thursday evening, but we stayed. Friday was gorgeous sunny weather. That's when Governor Christie yelled "Get the (heck) off the beaches. This is no time to be working on your tan." But most people just gave him the middle finger. We left Saturday morning as scheduled and everything was fine. The storm didn't hit until Saturday night was turned out to be pretty weak.

I was in Shanghai during a Typhoon on a trip in 2007. They kept us locked down in our hotel. Our room on the upper floor flooded but otherwise we were fine.

We rode out hurricane Jeanne in Clearwater. We were suppose to vacation on Jensen beach but the hurricane was set to hit there. All predictions thought it was going to ride the east coast up to the Carolinas so we booked a place in Clearwater.

Well Jeanne decided to come across the state. (Of course). Luckily it was a Cat 1/tropical depression by then but it was still wild. We made some good memories and had a great trip. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter