Vaccine - change of mind

I'm not sure it was a change of mind per se or more of an appeasing thing but father-in-law initially said he wasn't really interested in it despite working for a hospital system. And then we find out he had gotten his first dose (he just completed his second dose a week or two ago something like that). Turns out he was saying he didn't necessarily want it because his current wife is adamant about not getting it.

You've never had to convince my husband and I, we'd get it today if we could. Mother-in-law and step-father-in-law say they'll get it (and they are both eligible for it right now today as in they can get get it if they want it) but say "it's not pressing" like it is but okay. And they are the ones engaging in all the risky behavior.

I've been very much for priority groups because it's one of the ways people can get it who otherwise wouldn't stand a chance and a free for all situation right now IMO would be more chaos. I am over that everyone assumes that all 65+ people want it..they don't even people in their lower 60s or 50s (70s and 80s? yeah they generally want it badly). In my circle between my family and my husband's family that group are the ones who are all lackadaisical about it all like "meh we'll get it somepoint". Meanwhile us in our 30s (my husband, myself, one of my sister-in-laws, my cousin and his wife, my friend (who was able to get it already due to her retail occupation and just got her 2nd dose over the weekend), her friend, nearly all the people I've been to school with and are still friends on FB, etc) are clamoring for it so badly.

Thankfully my family members who are eligible being 65 and up did choose to get it even my uncle who has been quite vocal in a negative way about the pandemic though I don't think he was really anti-vaccine just more like anti-covid restrictions/thinking it's mostly an overblown situation or hoax and this past Saturday those eligible completed their 2nd doses. I was really happy my autistic aunt was able to get it quickly. I do wonder if one of my cousins (the son of the uncle who has been vocal in a negative way) will get it as he's also been very vocal in a negative way more. He's in his 40s.

For us, it was the long term issues that you may have with actually getting Covid. We were thinking that if we did get sick, fairly unscathed, what about long term lung/heart issues. That was always on our mind but with precautions we were not wanting to be in the first group getting vaccines. Now, we have to and some of those “fears” are now on the back burner.

My sister is in hospital administration and long term heart issues caused by having covid she believes is the biggest issue with having the disease. DH does have a doctor's appointment in two weeks and we will see if that changes his mind.

DH had a heart attack 15 years ago after leaving the gym while in training for a half iron man. Kind of a fluky plague break off issue, but it still happened even though overall he is in great health as he eats well and works out. The problem is many diseases covid, cancer, heart issues etc. don't care if you do everything "right".

My cousin is of the wait and see. My father spent time on zoom this week trying to convince her to get it, but no go. For all the people who say they are young or they mask and distance. Our family friend is a young 19 year old athlete. He tested positive in December was sick a couple of days and then thought he was good to go. He plays lacrosse at his college so as is policy for most college athletes he was required to get an EKG before returning to school. His EKG was abnormal so he had to have blood work, and echo cardiogram. Showed he has myocarditis. He has had 2 MRIs and the second one showed improvement but he will still need to sit out the year. So he was a healthy kid who now has heart issues that will hopefully clear up over time. I know that this can happen with any virus but it seems to happen more with Covid.

My mother, who got her RN degree during WWII, would rise from her grave and dope slap me across the room if I even thought about not being vaccinated. She worked in hospitals when people still died from diseases we now prevent with vaccines. I remember the look on her face when she took all her children to the local school for the polio vaccine in the '50s and said to the other mothers, "Now we'll never have to see one of them in an iron lung."

We are fortunate that government and industry had a long-standing working relationship and knew which bureaucratic review and approval processes could be run concurrently without affecting established vaccine safety protocols.

An analogy. You want to paint all the rooms in your house one color. You could go to one vendor, choose the paint, paint one room, live with it a while, decide if you like it. If so, paint another room with the same paint and repeat the process. If not, go to another vendor, choose the paint, etc. This will take you months. Or you could go to 6 vendors and have them mix the same color, paint sample walls, decide immediately which you like, and buy more paint for the rest of the house. This takes days. Sequential vs. concurrent processes.

My cousin is of the wait and see. My father spent time on zoom this week trying to convince her to get it, but no go. For all the people who say they are young or they mask and distance. Our family friend is a young 19 year old athlete. He tested positive in December was sick a couple of days and then thought he was good to go. He plays lacrosse at his college so as is policy for most college athletes he was required to get an EKG before returning to school. His EKG was abnormal so he had to have blood work, and echo cardiogram. Showed he has myocarditis. He has had 2 MRIs and the second one showed improvement but he will still need to sit out the year. So he was a healthy kid who now has heart issues that will hopefully clear up over time. I know that this can happen with any virus but it seems to happen more with Covid.
This is my biggest reason for wanting the vaccine. I'm confident I would make it through a few days of illness, but the long term of effects of Covid are more concerning and likely to me than the potential for long term effects of the vaccine (IMO).

As someone that said most of us will be waiting and seeing whether we want to wait or not I'm still waiting and seeing whether I want to wait or not because I'm still not eligible to get one.
But I notice all the big wigs that said it was a hoax and I'm a tough guy and don't want to wear a mask used their pull to cut the line to get one.

I think it has proven decently safe. That is until they find out it causes sterility after 1 year's time because the Martians want the earthling population controlled.

Edit for those reading in late April and beyond. I got mine when I first became eligible. Oh and the martian thing was a joke. It has come to my attention that there's a sterility rumor going around and I wouldn't want to be the source of it. Pfizer went to all the state facilities which in my county were backed up. J and J went to all the mass drive through ones (as well it should have being a one time jab) so I ended up going to Walmart and getting Moderna as the first avialable.

Last edited:
I was a wait and see person last summer. Not anti-vax, just didn't want to be one of the first guinea pigs for the vaccine. I'm mid 40s, normal weight, only pre-existing is type 2 diabetes, but it is under control with diet and exercise. Plus, we were being super cautious in our lifestyle and our risks were minimal. I didn't count on my mother bringing it home to us! She got it from her dialysis facility, even though they have supposedly been following precautions to the max. Me and my sisters are her caregivers, so not being around her was not an option. I was a severe case and my mother almost didn't make it, as well. We're still dealing with the fallout from Covid in our family! Needless to say, I'll be getting it as soon as I can. It's been almost 3 months since I got a positive and I've been mostly well for about 6 weeks now. I most definitely do not want to get Covid again! My hair has just started falling out and I'm worried about long-term effects.

I was hesitant initially; I don't like the idea of moving fast but a good friend reminded me they worked hard to find a variation that would be successful in fighting the virus, with a ton of foundation work that is part of modern medicine. I did my first shot a couple weeks ago and get my second Friday. Im relieved as part of the high risk group to have some protection initially and the freedom to be with friends and family with fewer worries.

I have never said yes or no to it and still on that same line. Maybe down the road , won't be fighting for one anytime soon.
This was me as well...I was just kinda ehh about it and had no plans to get it quickly. However, the more research I did and I'll be honest the number of frontline workers, Dr.'s/researchers that took it and the fact that our school is offering them; I went ahead and got my first dose yesterday.

I was wait and see and I still am. I’d prefer not to get it just in case long term side effects show up 10 years from now. If I lived in an area where life had been very abnormal then I would do it just to get back to normal. But I live in an area that is pretty much business as usual and has been since May. Nothing would change in my life if I got the vaccine so why take the potential risk. If it was made mandatory for travel that would change things, but right now there’s really no reason for me to get it.

I was a little hesitant at first, but once the vaccines really started rolling out I looked at the risks:
  1. The risk of taking a vaccine that had been through a thorough, but rushed, evaluation prior to approval.
  2. The risk of getting Covid and what both the short-term and long-term effects of that would be.
I decided that the devil I knew was worse than the devil I wasn't sure about, and got the vaccine. And I'm glad I did. I have a friend who went through the same process, with the same result, one week behind me.

I've also talked to a number of medical professionals who were a little wary at first, but who got vaccinated and are now glad they did.

I still have one friend and his wife who are simply not going to take it.

I’ve always wanted to get it, but didn’t want to be first in line. Now a couple of months into the vaccinations, I am ready to get it as soon as it’s my turn for it. My doctors are all vaccinated and recommend me getting the vaccine

My aunt was against it. Vehemently. I don't why she changed her mind, but when I registered here in New Jersey she had me register her as well. Then when appointments opened up she said to make her an appointment. April 11th for the both of us, fifteen minutes apart. Now, if I get her there on that day I'll be pleasantly surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter