Vaccine News

StacyStrong

DIS Veteran
A lot of news has been coming up regarding the Pfizer vaccine. I know a lot of people have young kids and have been awaiting some news on it.

Pfizer:
I read that they *should* be approving use for 12-15 year olds next week - EUA.
I also saw that they plan on submitting for full approval by the end of May.
Finally, they should be submitting for 2-11 year olds - possibly EUA - in September.

Just a thread to keep up with the latest developments.

If they approve it next week, when would you be able to start booking appts. for kids in that age range?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Do kids get the exact same COVID vaccine as adults? As in, you could take a vial of Pfizer COVID VACCINE, give one dose to an adult, the next to a 12 year old, the next to an adult, etc.

Or are they formulated slightly differently so they will have to manufacture both vials adult and child vials?

If it's all the same I would think the roll out would be pretty quick once approved. If it's a different formula it will probably take a little more coordination to get things really rolling.

Do kids get the exact same COVID vaccine as adults? As in, you could take a vial of Pfizer COVID VACCINE, give one dose to an adult, the next to a 12 year old, the next to an adult, etc.

Or are they formulated slightly differently so they will have to manufacture both vials adult and child vials?

If it's all the same I would think the roll out would be pretty quick once approved. If it's a different formula it will probably take a little more coordination to get things really rolling.

I was wonder the same thing and found this:

will receive a range of doses to find one that triggers a strong immune response without too many side effects. “Some of them are too much, some of them are too little. You’re looking for that sweet spot,” says Conway. “It’s the Goldilocks effect.”
Early trial results have shown that 12–15-year-olds who received two standard doses of the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine developed substantially higher levels of virus-blocking antibodies than did 16–25-year-olds in earlier trials. Farber wonders whether children who are even younger will get the same immune response from a lower dose.

There’s a dosage study going on in the under 12 population. As far as I know the 12-15 dose is the same as the adult dose.

My understanding is that 12 to 15yo trials were conducted with the same dose as adults get, which kind of makes sense since they also tend to get the same doses as adults of a lot of common meds, and that's why it was able to proceed so much faster than the <12 trials, which have to calculate an appropriate dose for younger kids. So this step should be a quick rollout using the same doses.

I suspect by the time <12 is approved, administration will shift to pediatricians and primary care providers, rather than clinics, in part because of the complexity of varying doses for kids of different ages.

I am curious who volunteers their kids for these trials? I would be so nervous!
I would. I tried to sign my 10 year old up but we do not live near a location for it. My parents were both part of the original moderna trials. I would have been as well if I could have been.

I tried to but they finished enrolling before they got back to us.

Kids usually tolerate vaccines much better than adults. I had no hesitation at all. I also got my 16 year old vaccinated as soon as I could get him an appointment and will make an appointment for my 15 year old the day they announce that it's open to the 12-15 group.

I would, and looked into it but it didn’t work out. Someone has to test it, and by the time they get to testing on kids there has already been a lot of safety testing done.

I was going to sign up for the adult trials myself, but I really wasn’t going anywhere last summer so I wasn’t a good candidate.

I would. I feel this has had a lot of testing done in the adult testing. This is the only way out of this mess. We need to get more people vaccinated, and this population will make a huge impact IMO.

Also my 10 year old keeps asking if she can get vaccinated. She understands the reasoning on why and the potential risks. this is our only way out of this as said. We need to get as many people vaccinated as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter