Value Resort at Deluxe Prices oh how the exchange rate sucks.

peimikes

Mouseketeer
This is turning out to be the most expensive trip we've taken to WDW ever. The exchange rate is killing us. The 10 nights we booked at POP for September have cost me as much as our trip to SSR in November 2013. Last time I remember dealing with the exchange rates this bad was when we went in the late 90's. We had been disappointed that on the opening day of free dining all we could book was POP as all the moderate resorts had been booked up. But a moderate package for 10 nights would have cost about $5900 CDN for the three of us. Sorry for the rant but I took about $1000 CDN so far to the bank to get USD and only got back around $660. Guess I will have to increase the trip fund or do a few more over time shifts if we want to keep doing a yearly Florida trip. This was also the first time in years a flight from Halifax worked out cheaper than flying form Maine.

Last edited:
I'm with you. I did the math for our January trip yesterday. We are doing both Universal and Disney. We had cancelled due to the exchange rate, and then changed our minds and added Universal because my brother wanted to go with us. Not sure how that works but I'll take it.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I had everything planned (3 nights Universal and a package at WDW) and added up the totals with flights and food and actually gasped last night. My $5200USD trip will cost over $7000CAD. I have NEVER paid that much for a Florida trip and I'm not about to start.
So it's time to rework the budget. And every time I get tempted to upsell myself I will chant "SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS" until I am happy with the lesser option. I know people spend that all the time for Disney trips. I do not.

I'm still in planning mode but extras are dropping off this trip let me tell ya. And unless a screaming good deal comes out for onsite, I will happily stay offsite and take advantage of the savings there.

I've seen many offers for Canadians at Disney over the years. I am surprised that nothing is being offered for us now.

I've become totally obsessed with the exchange rate. We haven't booked our flights yet and every time I sit down at my computer I run the flight amount through an online currency converter. Between noon today and 2 pm they increased by $5. Now, I know that $5 isn't a make-or-break amount. But it's the slow and steady climb that's depressing. Eventually I'll need to book, or decide on what point would be a make-or-break amount. Not helping is the fact that JetBlue keeps changing the prices for the flights we are eyeing. One day the total was a beautiful $630 USD (should have booked it then!). TWO DAYS later it was up to $775 USD. Again, it doesn't seem like a lot but when you run convert the $145 USD to CDN, well, it's just depressing.

I hear you on the exchange rate. It messed with my whole budget. I had to cancelled my day at Universal. It was cheaper to add an extra day to Disney. It was going to cost us a little over $500 for 1 day two park to park tickets.

Air Canada just sent me a promotion on flights during the time I was going. It is already $18 cheaper.

I agree .... I have 9 nights at BWV for just $2184 USD ... that works out to almost $3K with everything in .... Yikes around $330 a night!

I don't even have a resort booked yet for March, which of course is a high rate time of year. I just looked at the exchange rate and it's worse yet again. I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel this trip.

We were going to go in March but due to the exchange rate changed to January and going to Universal/ the beach instead.

I planned a March trip with my friend and all our kids. Not sure if it will fly. Air is so high. $879 for our days. If I leave on a Thursday come back Tuesday it's only $589 (I use that comparatively). She can't do those days though. We may end up cancelling.

This is turning out to be the most expensive trip we've taken to WDW ever. The exchange rate is kill us. The 10 nights we booked at POP for September have cost me as much as our trip to SSR in November 2013. Last time I remember dealing with the exchange rates this bad was when we went in the late 90's. We had been disappointed that on the opening day of free dining all we could book was POP as all the moderate resorts had been booked up. But a moderate package for 10 nights would have cost about $5900 CDN for the three of us. Sorry for the rant but I took about $1000 CDN so far to the bank to get USD and only got back around $660. Guess I will have to increase the trip fund or do a few more over time shifts if we want to keep doing a yearly Florida trip. This was also the first time in years a flight from Halifax worked out cheaper than flying form Maine.

You should take your very nice mom and dad!!!!

For those thinking of a Universal trip we did one last year and saved by buying annual passes we stayed for 10 nights at Royal Pacific and spent a few hours at least each day at the parks. They were only a bit more than a 3 day park to park, and I bought 1 preferred annual pass so we had discounts on all our purchases and meals at the 2 parks and City Walk, and a regular annual pass for my wife and daughter. I saved over $500 total, pass was around $290ish so easily payed for itself. Also if your a bigger group Preferred pass holder can get discounted I believe 8 daily tickets for their group members at deep discounts

This year I used Pricelines website for the first time to buy flights and saved BIG. Round trip from Halifax to MCO with Delta was $315 each so only $945 total for this fall. We to book free dining so are back to WDW this year.

I don't even have a resort booked yet for March, which of course is a high rate time of year. I just looked at the exchange rate and it's worse yet again. I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel this trip.
You can always make it less expensive by renting from a DVC member..wink wink...lol

We're leaving next week for 10 days. 2 nights at legoland hotel and 7 at Beach Club. We paid the trip off awhile ago (when the dollar really started tanking) and we have the cash in our US account to pay for food etc but it still hurts. The amazing magical deal we got end up not being so magical once the exchange was factored in :(

I'm super excited for this trip but sad at the same time. With our dollar the way it is, who knows when we'll be back :(

We had to cancel our May cruise because I couldn't justify the cost. For the same price as our 3-night cruise, we could stay 5 nights with room discount at a deluxe, plus 4 nights at All-Stars with free dining. Bye-bye cruise...

we paid full price last year (rack rate i think it's referred to) at the CR. no deals or promos at all - first trip and our agent didn't really explain that there even were discounts available. this time i snatched up our week at YC because of free dining/park hoppers. with 5 of us, 4 as "adults" according to disney meal plan, it seemed like a good deal. we can also fly on credit card points (if i can just figure it out....). it is looking like i will pay almost exactly what i paid last year without any discounts. :(

i keep texting my friend who works at a bank and asking her if we are at par again yet. i have til october 31st to cancel but should probably book flight before then. i am worried i am going to have to cancel. and i got really good ADRs so i don't want to!! i was wondering how many others were in a similar situation.

For those thinking of a Universal trip we did one last year and saved by buying annual passes we stayed for 10 nights at Royal Pacific and spent a few hours at least each day at the parks. They were only a bit more than a 3 day park to park, and I bought 1 preferred annual pass so we had discounts on all our purchases and meals at the 2 parks and City Walk, and a regular annual pass for my wife and daughter. I saved over $500 total, pass was around $290ish so easily payed for itself. Also if your a bigger group Preferred pass holder can get discounted I believe 8 daily tickets for their group members at deep discounts

This year I used Pricelines website for the first time to buy flights and saved BIG. Round trip from Halifax to MCO with Delta was $315 each so only $945 total for this fall. We to book free dining so are back to WDW this year.

I've never used Priceline for flights, did you use the name your own price? I'm finding flights out of Halifax are much higher this year than previous. Great deal with Delta though, congrats

The exchange rate is the main reason we changed our August trip to February and have not booked our annual pre Christmas stay as of today... it makes me so sad.

The exchange rate on what would have been our trip this week, would have paid for our return flights in December. It gets harder & harder to justify that kind of spending.

Hoping that Canadian travelers to Disney parks & cruises are a large enough percentage of their guests, that we see Canadian offers to entice us to overlook the nasty exchange rate we are faced with & book... (one can hope. lol!)

I've never used Priceline for flights, did you use the name your own price? I'm finding flights out of Halifax are much higher this year than previous. Great deal with Delta though, congrats

No the first offer they had for a flight around the time we wanted to fly I took. I had never used them before for anything. At $315 I was happy enough to take it and Priceline was fast and easy to use. Had all my flight info emailed from Priceline in a few minutes went to Delta's site and picked our seats. We've been flying out of Maine for years, but the rates have almost doubled this year plus the exchange rate is killer now. I have a lot of vacation time and my wife can take hers when ever she wants so we can be flexible with our flying dates so this helps get the cheapest day to fly. We always book our flights first then book with Disney.

Last edited:
I have booked my offsite resort for March but not flights. They are crazy right now. I am also booked at Orange Lake for Xmas Dec 23 rd to.Jan 2nd but I think we will.be cancelling. We have til sept 23rd to decide. Our summer trip to Virginia killed us with the exchange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter