Values booked.. keep trying?

Maadams

Earning My Ears
My husband and I take a yearly trip just us, no kids. This year, due to our parents availability for babysitting, we need to go over MLK weekend and into the following week. I normally book a value resort, since we spend minimal time in the room, but they’re booked. Is it worth it to obsessively keep looking each day for something to open up? Or am I going to have to suck up the cost of a moderate? Just seeing if anyone has any experience with this, thanks!

I would do both. Book the moderate & obsessively look. Something at the values will likely open, but you’ll have your backup covered just in case.
Perfect. That’s what I’m doing but it helps to hear it from someone else. We’re booked for POFQ and I’ll keep looking as well. Would rather have that $500 extra for food/drinks/experiences!

Early December had the same issue for a long time - I booked in April but kept checking just for fun and eventually by summer there was zero availability. As we've gotten closer to December I've seen availability open up for both values and moderates although most common to see are the deluxe rooms. I would get a room only reservation for a moderate and keep checking. If you see a value pop up take it - cause it may disappear.

Resort availability changes every day, often multiple times a day.

I recommend checking at/around 11 AM, 2 PM and 5 PM on a daily basis. I was able to switch from Wilderness Lodge to Poly by obsessively checking at those times.

I recommend checking at/around 11 AM, 2 PM and 5 PM on a daily basis. I was able to switch from Wilderness Lodge to Poly by obsessively checking at those times.

I’ll do that! Thanks! I know POFQ is a great resort. No doubt. But since this is a quick trip where I want to do things like Savi, a dessert party, etc… I’d rather go with a lower resort budget. When we head back later next year with our kids, we’re going to check out AKL again, can’t wait!

My husband and I take a yearly trip just us, no kids. This year, due to our parents availability for babysitting, we need to go over MLK weekend and into the following week. I normally book a value resort, since we spend minimal time in the room, but they’re booked. Is it worth it to obsessively keep looking each day for something to open up? Or am I going to have to suck up the cost of a moderate? Just seeing if anyone has any experience with this, thanks!

definitely keep checking. Last week I decided to go to Disney at end of November/January. At first no POP availability but I obsessively checked and was able to get POP for all but 2 days and in preferred. Eventually, I was able to get all the dates I wanted but in standard pool. I was looking for just standard. I continued to obsessively checked and was able to secure all my dates in a POP standard room. It only took a few days to get it all done too but I was checking very very often.

College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championship is being hosted at All-Star Music and All-Star Movies over that weekend so it may be a longshot for any availability at those Value Resorts opening up for the nights of January 13-16.

UCA_UDA_College_Pricing_2022.pdf (varsity.com)

Last edited:
College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championship is being hosted at All-Star Music and All-Star Movies over that weekend so it may be a longshot for any availability at those Value Resorts opening up for the nights of January 13-16.

I have stayed at a Value when the cheerleaders are there. Never again. Nothing against cheerleaders, but there are lots of them, they go around in packs, and practice their routines as soon as it's light outside. Two groups got into an early-morning "anything ya'll can cheer, we can cheer louder." As soon as I saw there was a competition, I moved us out of ASMu.

Why those times? I'm obsessively checking for a Savannah view at Kidani, and any tips help!

So that's why I can't find a Value for that weekend. I was thinking of a solo trip Jan. 15-19 or 16-20. Lots of value options for the 17th onward, but that weekend is being difficult. I can find a 1 night the 15-16, but nothing the 16-17. It's basically putting a puzzle together right now.

For what it's worth, in August or September I started booking an early December trip and it seemed like nearly every Disney resort was sold out so I booked off site. I would casually check twice a week or so and would see the All-Stars and Pop occasionally pop up. This week we decided to actually try to get an on site value room and I saw a standard All-Star Music room pop up, then disappear, then only pop up with a preferred room, then finally pop back up again so I grabbed it today. So it's worth checking! And like others said, maybe hold onto the previous reservation, especially if it's a room only non-package reservation. Those can be cancelled in full 5 days ahead of the reservation.

So that's why I can't find a Value for that weekend. I was thinking of a solo trip Jan. 15-19 or 16-20. Lots of value options for the 17th onward, but that weekend is being difficult. I can find a 1 night the 15-16, but nothing the 16-17. It's basically putting a puzzle together right now.
Do yourself and favor and rent points to stay at a deluxe if there is availability. Being that you are looking only 2 months out most of the disadvantage of renting (less flexibility with cancellations) should not be much of an issue.

strangely, i was searching for late january a few weeks ago and found all cats of music and movies wide open. i grabbed a placeholder and now i have searched every date in january combo dates even one night, and those two hotels wont show up the entire month of january, if you search feb you can find them... its almost like they blocked them out the whole month.

strangely, i was searching for late january a few weeks ago and found all cats of music and movies wide open. i grabbed a placeholder and now i have searched every date in january combo dates even one night, and those two hotels wont show up the entire month of january, if you search feb you can find them... its almost like they blocked them out the whole month.
Cheerleading and Pop Warner competitions most likely ...... if they are there you don't want to be

I've been playing around with the same thing. We are going Jan 22 to Feb 3 booked at ASMu. Up until a few days ago, there seemed to be standard, preferred and family suites left, as well as preferred rooms at movies. Now there isn't a single day in the month of January for both movies and music. But once you click to Feb. 1, tons of availability again. It seems like they were taken out of inventory for some reason. Any chance they overbooked during January? I've checked everywhere and it seems there is a cheer competition in early Feb, but not in January.....so I'm quite curious!

I've been playing around with the same thing. We are going Jan 22 to Feb 3 booked at ASMu. Up until a few days ago, there seemed to be standard, preferred and family suites left, as well as preferred rooms at movies. Now there isn't a single day in the month of January for both movies and music. But once you click to Feb. 1, tons of availability again. It seems like they were taken out of inventory for some reason. Any chance they overbooked during January? I've checked everywhere and it seems there is a cheer competition in early Feb, but not in January.....so I'm quite curious!
yup! i tried every combo out of curiousity and its only in january those two hotels are just not there anymore.....I am so glad I grabbed my date I was hoping for just in case....I have been 2 years ago during the first week of Feb during the cheer events at AsMo and it was fine for us.

Half joking,half serious-it could mean The 15s are returning and with a "vengeance" after a 2 year absence.lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter