**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

Does anyone know if the port hotels will let you leave your car parked there while on the cruise (like the Port Canaveral hotels)? It sounds like the port parking is pretty high.

Jodie

I would actually suggest longer that just a day trip to Whistler. Whistler is a worthwhile destination of it's own. We love it so much we bought a vacation home there! Quick suggestions of summer activities at Whistler:

world class mountain biking, hiking, sightseeing by using the Peak 2 Peak gondola, glacier skiing, bear viewing, swimming in glacier fed lakes, canoeing, river rafting, taking Rocky Mountaineer train to/from Whistler, cycling the valley trail, ziptreking, golfing, people watching in the village.

Vancouver is great (we live there) but we absolutely LOVE Whister!

Here's a link to Whistler's official website:
www.whistlerblackcomb.com

Absolutely, if people have more time, stay longer! We go up there for a three day weekend and don't 'see' everything. There's much more to see in Vancouver and the surrounding areas too. I was just trying to write up a few highlights that I would try to see if I was on a limited time schedule (even though I did write up 5 days!). Because I'd also want to stop in White Rock.

Many hotels in Port Canaveral allow you to leave your car at the hotel for FREE if you stay there at least one night before or after your cruise. I'm wondering if any of the hotels at the Vancouver port offer the same deal.

Jodie
I'm going to guess no, as the Cruise ship terminal is downtown and parking is at preimium there. It may be different if you stay closer to the airport in Richmond, that's probably worth checking out.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the new Canada Line skytrain has been running for about a month now.

For those flying into YVR, the skytrain ride is about 25 minutes to downtown right to the Cruise Ship terminal at Waterfront.

This is my first post, so I can't post links yet, but you can search "Canada Line" on any search engine for more information.

I've lived in the Vancouver area all of my life, and welcome any questions any of you might have.

The new Canada Line is great (just be aware of "rush hours").
Another transportation alternative from the airport is the Limo service right outside - no reservation necessary-just walk up and they will take you anywhere you want-I think it was $70 to the cruise terminal-up to 3 people in a sedan and $80 for an 6 pass. limo (I won't post the company name - not sure if I'm allowed).

If you are planning on spending some time in Vancouver and seeing the sights don't rent a car-take public transportation-it's fabulous.
To park your rental at your hotel could cost you $35-40 per night.
There are also some great tour companies available. The hop-on-hop-off bus is also a lot of fun and takes you to all the major sights.

How far is it from Vancouver Airport to the cruise terminal? What is the best way to get from the airport to the terminal or downtown hotels? Thanks for any info!

Just an FYI, it is about 15 miles from SeaTac airport to the Seattle Amtrak station. A cab ride will run you about $40 and a shared-ride van (Shuttle Express) will be about $30.

On another thread, someone said that it was a short cab ride (about $7) from the Vancouver Amtrak station to the cruise terminal.

I looked on the Amtrak website, but I couldn't find anywhere where it said whether or not they stop the train at the border. My best guess, after looking at the train schedules, would be that you would go through customs when you get off the train in Vancouver.

It looks like the Skytrain Waterfront station is about a block from the Canada Place terminals from what I could tell on google.

I would be careful about going up to Vancouver from Washington the day of the cruise. Someone on another thread said that they were told by DCL that if you miss the boat in Vancouver, you will not be allowed to get on at any other port (it has to do with foreign port regulations). We live in Washington and will drive up to Vancouver, but because of that, we're going to drive up the day before. Any number of things could happen to delay you. Flat tire, lines at the border, traffic accidents, road construction.

The border crossing is what scares us the most. As of now ( may change:rotfl2:) we are planning on flying into bellingham airport and then amtrak into vancouver and just stay there till we leave for the cruise. that will give us 2 days to adjust to the time difference as well as some time to site see all there is to see on the west.

So what we are looking at doing is flying into Seattle on Saturday and renting a car...check out Seattle on Saturday and then head for the border on Sunday and drive up to Vancouver and take Sunday evening and all day Monday checking out Vancouver. Will we have problems getting across the border? What about renting a car in Seattle and taking it over the border?

that is what we had planned on doing originally and ended up deciding it wasn't worth the hassle of figuring out what to do with a rental for a week while on a cruise. :confused3:headache:

When we went to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls, we flew into Buffalo, NY and rented a car from Budget or Alamo and drove over the border. We had no problem nor did the car rental place. We just bought the extra insurance just in case because they said sometimes border patrol wants proof of insurance before you enter Canada.

Are the rules different in Vancouver? Does anyone else have experience renting from the States and crossing the Canadian border with a car rental?

How far is it from Vancouver Airport to the cruise terminal? What is the best way to get from the airport to the terminal or downtown hotels? Thanks for any info!

I think it's approx. 10 miles. About a $35 taxi ride in moderate traffic. The Canada line (part subway, part above ground) is faster and cheaper. Right now it's $3.75 per person and takes about 25 minutes. I've heard they are adding a $2.50 surcharge to the airport in the new year, but it's still a good deal if there are less than 4 of you. The Canada line ends at Waterfront station, which is next door to Canada Place.

DCL CM told me that their pre-stay and post-stay resort hotels will be three different Fairmont hotels. She listed them off for me, but I couldn't follow her accent. Do you know which would be the best location? I thought I would go on a waitlist on Monday just in case we decide to use DCL.

Using Internet, I found four Vancouver Fairmont hotels -- Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Fairmont Vancouver Airport, Fairmont Waterfront, Fairmont Pacific Rim.

Thanks!

I'll be checking this thread regularly to get tips about touring Vancouver before our cruise - let's just hope that DCL's prices aren't astronomical! :laughing:

DCL CM told me that their pre-stay and post-stay resort hotels will be three different Fairmont hotels. She listed them off for me, but I couldn't follow her accent. Do you know which would be the best location? I thought I would go on a waitlist on Monday just in case we decide to use DCL.

Using Internet, I found four Vancouver Fairmont hotels -- Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Fairmont Vancouver Airport, Fairmont Waterfront, Fairmont Pacific Rim.

Thanks!

I believe the waterfront one is the one right across from the cruise terminal. I wonder what kind of rate DCL will get. Often I find its cheaper to book these things yourself. I looked at rates for next summer - just curious. Their cheapest rooms was $269 - not as high as I thought it would be.

Jodie

I think it's approx. 10 miles. About a $35 taxi ride in moderate traffic. The Canada line (part subway, part above ground) is faster and cheaper. Right now it's $3.75 per person and takes about 25 minutes. I've heard they are adding a $2.50 surcharge to the airport in the new year, but it's still a good deal if there are less than 4 of you. The Canada line ends at Waterfront station, which is next door to Canada Place.

I wanted to add regarding the Canada Line, my husband uses this for his work commute and he said that there is decent room on it to go with suitcases (just in case someone was worried about that).

The border crossing is what scares us the most. As of now ( may change:rotfl2:) we are planning on flying into bellingham airport and then amtrak into vancouver and just stay there till we leave for the cruise. that will give us 2 days to adjust to the time difference as well as some time to site see all there is to see on the west.

Don't be afraid of the border crossing. Depending on time of day and day of week you can wait up to two hours to get to the head of the line, and most of the time all they do is scan your passport and ask a few questions when you are heading north. The US side is a bit more uptight, they usually want to look in the vehicle and trunk but I have never had them want to open my luggage. Unfortunately I really don't like people going in my trunk without me watching, but I have to sit in the car when they poke around.

Bellingham is a great place to catch a flight - there isn't a whole lot at the airport, so TSA security usually goes very quickly. If you are arriving late into Bellingham and want a hotel before going into Canada, the Hampton Inn is very close to the airport and a nice hotel.

Thanks for starting this thread.
We have just started to discover all the fun to be found in Vancouver and are soo excited to see DCL going to Alaska.

For a bit of additional info on the light rail from SeaTac (Seattle International Airport).....
http://www.soundtransit.org/Project...ervice/Link-Light-Rail/Airport-LinkSeaTac.xml

Our family spent a few days in Vancouver in July. We loved Stanley Park! Actually got annual passes to the aquarium. We have been back once since and hope to return a few more times before next summer. Gotta watch those baby beluga whales grow :)
We also went up to Whistler for an overnight and had a wonderful time. Lot of fun stuff to do in the summer up there and the kids loved it.
We stayed at the Hilton in Whistler and would recommend it in a heartbeat. We had a 2 room suite and it was beautiful. My mom (who joined us on the trip) loved that we all in one room and the price was better than the cost of two rooms would have been. Plus for a reasonable charge we were able to extend our checkout from 11 to 3 pm! Crowds were light and the setting is beautiful!

If you have the time I would suggest spending a few extra days in Canada. We can't believe its taken us so long to wander up and explore.

Having had to fly from one coast to the other to catch all our DCL cruises I also recommend flying in the day before you set sail. Allows for a much more restful morning too ;)
And a note about SeaTac baggage claim.... its a bit slow.
We have never lost a bag, but we have several family jokes about the speed at which our bags appear :) Just a warning to allow yourself plenty of time.
But the airport has some nice food offerings if you get there early on your way back home :) My folks say goodbye to the grandkids early every visit so they can lunch at Ivars in the airport before flying home.... hmmm I hope that doesnt say something about the kids ;)
Is it just me or does 2011 seem sooo far away?

Well I put myself on the wait list thru dreams unlimited. So will see what we get. I was bummed to see they don't offer airline tickets though. no biggie i may check thru disney and see what they offer and maybe transfer it over too. now if only the next week or so goes by fast so i can move on to something else fun..:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

When we went to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls, we flew into Buffalo, NY and rented a car from Budget or Alamo and drove over the border. We had no problem nor did the car rental place. We just bought the extra insurance just in case because they said sometimes border patrol wants proof of insurance before you enter Canada.

Are the rules different in Vancouver? Does anyone else have experience renting from the States and crossing the Canadian border with a car rental?

We were in Vancouver and I got sick and we tried to rent a car to return home. The issue is if you pick up in one country and drop off in another. We were told we would be charged an extra $200-$300 to drop off the car in Washington.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter