VB advice

Mariabelle

Earning My Ears
I’m interested in going to VB as part of my Disney trips. Only 2-3 days and therefore need about 40-50 pts depending on time of year. Therefore a few questions:

1: Is it easy at 7 months to get VB?
2: Purchase a smaller direct add on at VB?
3: Go crazy and buy a VB contract with more points on resale because of price?
4: Buy pts at another resort to use at 7 months for VB?

Thanks!!

1. Mostly, yes.

2. Only if you really really want 11 month and are okay with the dues and hurricane assessments.

3. See 2.

4. Depends? Do you already hold DVC points, as I'm guessing is the case based on "smaller direct add on?" If that's the case, I feel like adding on to whatever resort you already hold, matching UY, will give you the most long-term flexibility.

1) depending on time of year
2) I absolutely adore VB, so cannot give unbiased opinion here. Wife and I are building a house less than 10 minutes from the resort.
3) Buy what you want for VB, but before you limit yourself look at the cottages. You may want more points... just sayin’.
4) see 1

We owned at VB for 10 years, and saw two closings due to hurricanes.
NEVER HAD A SPECIAL ASSESSMENT.
That doesn’t mean it won’t hapoen in the future....

ETA: Even though our house is less than 10 minutes from the resort, I’m NOT ruling out a resale at the resort.
Can’t say enough about how much we love it. Probably our favorite DVC.

You need to visit VB before you buy your points there. We had a short three night trip several years ago and did not like the Atlantic Ocean. We prefer the Gulf of Mexico for our beach trips. We like the Gulf so much we moved to a home on an island in SW Florida in the Gulf. We thought the beach was very shallow in depth. The water was cold, even in June. We booked an Inn room for our short trip and it was nice, but we liked using our points at WDW better.

Last edited:

If you want to (virtually) guarantee availability then the same rules that apply to on-property resorts apply to VB: own there. VB is hardest to book during the summer and there are times where you may need the home resort advantage. But the bigger question pertains to how you plan on vacationing at Disney. Are you flexible as to resort and room type? If so, it may be more economical to purchase a VB contract to use for Disney stays as well. Yes, there are risks because you don't have an 11 month advantage anywhere on property. But if you are flexible then it could work out. Based on current and recent dues and pricing structures it is possible for a VB purchase (via resale) for Disney stays to be financially advantageous over SSR (the most economical on site property) for as long as a 10 year horizon. And even then it is only incrementally more expensive after that, but that could be washed away by the time value of money.

My point is, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat, go with what you are most comfortable with. Good luck! :)

Curious. Which summer months would be the hardest to book?

We are going in September of this year and that wasn’t difficult at all to book, actually think there is still availability.

If we end up adoring the resort I could see us go in May as well, but it all depends on how difficult it will be to book.

Curious. Which summer months would be the hardest to book?

We are going in September of this year and that wasn’t difficult at all to book, actually think there is still availability.

If we end up adoring the resort I could see us go in May as well, but it all depends on how difficult it will be to book.
My *guess* is September or May you will be okay, unless you are looking for a cottage.

We enjoy VB and have good success at 7 months, studios and 2 BR's. We enjoy it for a few days, 3 or 4 nights, personally would not do a week there, not enough to do for us. Lovely resort, great wind down from the parks if you do it after. One year, we skipped WDW, spent a few nights in Fort Lauderdale, which we loved and then moved on to VB, great vaca! Good restaurants are a little far, be prepared to drive about 20 minutes. That is the downside of VB for us. We also love HHI, and love the proximity to great restaurants better at HHI. Both are great beach resorts! We have had very good success at both resorts, studios and 2 BRs.

We enjoy VB and have good success at 7 months, studios and 2 BR's. We enjoy it for a few days, 3 or 4 nights, personally would not do a week there, not enough to do for us. Lovely resort, great wind down from the parks if you do it after. One year, we skipped WDW, spent a few nights in Fort Lauderdale, which we loved and then moved on to VB, great vaca! Good restaurants are a little far, be prepared to drive about 20 minutes. That is the downside of VB for us. We also love HHI, and love the proximity to great restaurants better at HHI. Both are great beach resorts! We have had very good success at both resorts, studios and 2 BRs.
True. Three or four nights is enough, and a car is needed to enjoy various restaurants.

Also keep in mind some ocean view inn rooms have solid high balconies. You may not see the ocean from sitting.

We hope we get a room that doesn’t have that. :-)

That said, you will NOT be disappointed in the resort.
It’s the best. Period.

September will be our first stay there.
True. Three or four nights is enough, and a car is needed to enjoy various restaurants.

We are staying 3 nights.

Any recommendations regarding activities and restaurants?

A studio is in one of the out buildings, an ocean view inn room is what you should book if that’s what you want. We had an ocean view when we were in a studio only once, and it was a surprise for us.

@Cyberc1978..Off the top of my head,.Lemontree in town, great for breakfast or lunch, very pretty area, Riverside Café for dinner or lunch, nice setting outside to dine, and cannot think of the name of it, but perhaps I have a minute later to check my files...The best Italian food, about 20 minutes away..All I remember is years ago that they were in another location and about 2 to 3 years ago, they moved.
Dined there about 3 times and loved the food. Additionally, for quick subs and great breakfast sandwiches, there is a deli if you go out the side gate of the resort(need your room card to enter in and out), the deli is right off the public beach, very good and quick grab and go,
orange juice, etc,..Enjoy, you will love it for a few days! :)

We hope we get a room that doesn’t have that. :-)

We are staying 3 nights.

Any recommendations regarding activities and restaurants?
Restaurants....

Reasonable or more extravagant?

Our favorite is Ocean Grill. Not cheap, but a great place on the ocean.

There is also Squid Lips that is more reasonable. Others as well I can suggest.

Captain Hiram’s is good, but mostly fried stuff.

Bobby’s is great and stays open late. It’s near Ocean Grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter