VDH Opening

You both are misunderstanding what I mean by book a sale. It’s an accounting term that has nothing to do with reserving something. In accounting you (generally) book (in essence, include in financial statements) revenue when you provide the associated product or service. For DVC I’m wondering out loud if that doesn’t happen until the resort opens.

yes.
Oh literally record revenue.

DVD is the developer and seller.
DVC is the operator.

Cannot think of any reason that DVD could not record sales revenue when it is earned - which is at the time of the sale or at worst once past the recission period.

They were too distracted by Toon Town. I am hoping we have the DVC Lounge opening soon though I bet they won't do that until points are on sale or almost.
No bread crumbs or anything from Disney on VDH today, so sad. I'm trying to keep collecting as many pennies as possible until the points chart and price gets announced!
I don't think they're going to release anything until just a few days before sales begin. And I don't think it will start selling for another few months. My prediction is late June!

I agree! I'm hoping incentives will get better later, kind of like what happened at Grand Cal. But probably wishful thinking.
I think that would only happen if there's a recession. With VGF2, the initial incentives have been the best so far.

But again, if one is only buying a small contract, then incentives matter much less than base price increases.

I’ve see a few posts saying that DVC is way better off selling the rooms vs renting as a hotel due to being able to get all of the $ at once. I did a little digging and it looks like the AICPA has some revenue recognition rules about timeshares and from what I can tell there is a lot of reasons why they cant book 100% of the sale as revenue all at once. If they finance it then for sure the accounting get’s weird and I’m not 100% sure about if a customer pays cash. I’m going to have lunch with a friend in the coming weeks who knows quite a bit about timeshare accounting and I’ll pick his brain about it.

I’m not saying that Disney is not going to sell the points and doesn’t want to… just that saying Disney has all upside vs renting may not be 100% accurate.

I think that would only happen if there's a recession. With VGF2, the initial incentives have been the best so far.

But again, if one is only buying a small contract, then incentives matter much less than base price increases.
I think sales will be really strong the first few months but could stall like it did at VGF2. And VDH is much larger than VGF2 in terms of total points. It took VGC a year and a half to sell out a million points. It could take VDH 5+ years to sell out so I’m not in a hurry. Especially if I only need 2-3 nights a year in a deluxe studio. 50 points at most depending on the points chart. But I’m also expecting a points chart similar to VGC, which would be brutal. Can’t wait to find out!

I think sales will be really strong the first few months but could stall like it did at VGF2. And VDH is much larger than VGF2 in terms of total points. It took VGC a year and a half to sell out a million points. It could take VDH 5+ years to sell out so I’m not in a hurry. Especially if I only need 2-3 nights a year in a deluxe studio. 50 points at most depending on the points chart. But I’m also expecting a points chart similar to VGC, which would be brutal. Can’t wait to find out!
Interestingly enough VGC was sold during a recession as well. Which I assume was the reason it took so long to sell out. When the pricing came out for VGC I remembered debating about jumping into it because of the state of the economy.
I used to wonder how long it would’ve taken them to sell VGC if they were sold during a more stable economy.
We were surprised it took that long for them to sell such little number of points.

Interestingly enough VGC was sold during a recession as well. Which I assume was the reason it took so long to sell out. When the pricing came out for VGC I remembered debating about jumping into it because of the state of the economy.
I used to wonder how long it would’ve taken them to sell VGC if they were sold during a more stable economy.
We were surprised it took that long for them to sell such little number of points.
I’m sure the recession played a big part. But I think people were more averse to a west coast DVC concept back then. Who would have known it would become the most coveted DVC 14 years later. Will we be saying the same thing about VDH in another 14 years? I guess we’ll all just haveto wait and see! What I can’t believe is how Disney got away with VGC’s high points chart back in 2009. It’s crazy high even for todays standards. It must have been outrageous back then. I’m bracing myself for VDH points chart

Last edited:
I’m sure the recession played a big part. But I think people were more averse to a west coast DVC concept back then. Who would have known it would become the most coveted DVC 14 years later. Will we be saying the same thing about VDH in another 14 years? I guess we’ll all just haveto wait and see! What I can’t believe is how Disney got away with VGC’s high points chart back in 2009. It’s crazy high even for todays standards. It must have been outrageous back then. I’m bracing myself for VDH points chart
I think the VGC points chart just reflects that on cash it’s the most expensive US Disney hotel.

Yeah we were lucky enough to just decided to bite the bullet and get some. No regrets here. I can’t imagine what VDH numbers will look like now, 14 years from VGC opening. Without dvc there’s no way we could afford staying there.

fwiw, there is a big difference between the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression and a standard business cycle recession.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember the GC and DLH room prices at that time were amazing. We would get an envelope under our door at checkout asking if we wanted to extend our stay for something like $75-$100 a night. We could just go down to the lobby and they happily extended our park tickets. Getting dining reservations was also a breeze then.

We have family that lives in Orange County and started to adopt a “risk it to get the biscuit” strategy of booking 1 or 2 nights through CostCo even though we planned to stay for 5 and it worked perfectly from 2009-2012/2013.

No way you could have convinced me to buy into DVC at that time without access to a crystal ball.

This whole thing is like a painful never ending strip tease. Let’s just get it over with already! Of course I’m talking about points chart, annual dues, and price per point that is
Yes, though it's a strip tease of our own making (as in, the fan community). We could just not look at any of these "news" and wait 😉

I know, that's so hard...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter