VDH Opening

It’s all relative. They were much cheaper because all resorts were much cheaper but they were still significantly more than any DVC opened prior.
I agree with this. We used to be avid “harbor blvd motel” people and it was good enough for us. When VGC opened we looked at it as opportunity to stay at Disney’s flagship resort. We didn’t realize that we ended up getting spoiled and not wanting to stay anywhere else now when we visit DL 😂 .

I agree with this. We used to be avid “harbor blvd motel” people and it was good enough for us. When VGC opened we looked at it as opportunity to stay at Disney’s flagship resort. We didn’t realize that we ended up getting spoiled and not wanting to stay anywhere else now when we visit DL 😂 .
Same thing here. Even though we were DVC, when we moved out to California I said we'd find a spot on harbour. One lucky 7-month window reservation at VGC later, we've never stayed off property since.

I looked back at some old forums, looks like rack rates were around 300 to 400+ for standard rooms in 2009-10. Pretty sure that's at or above any WDW resort at the time, and it's about what you'd currently pay at the nicer spots on harbour.

I wonder how many of us are former Harbor people...? We've been staying at various hotels on Harbor since 2007 and we were always perfectly happy. But.....spoiled now. I'm excited about our future trips as DVC owners but I'm also pretty frugal so it's hard for me to abandon Harbor!

I wonder how many of us are former Harbor people...? We've been staying at various hotels on Harbor since 2007 and we were always perfectly happy. But.....spoiled now. I'm excited about our future trips as DVC owners but I'm also pretty frugal so it's hard for me to abandon Harbor!
I always stay on Harbor the first night I fly in using Marriott points. The free breakfast from Residence Inn is my daughter's favorite since they don't have anything like that at VGC.

I always stay on Harbor the first night I fly in using Marriott points. The free breakfast from Residence Inn is my daughter's favorite since they don't have anything like that at VGC.
Yea, i like that idea, especially if you get in late. So unless you’re able to check in by like 2 or 3pm harbor isnt a bad idea (or even behind harbor)

Yea, i like that idea, especially if you get in late. So unless you’re able to check in by like 2 or 3pm harbor isnt a bad idea (or even behind harbor)
Yes! we usually don't fly into LAX until 4pm-ish. Drive through SoCal afternoon traffic and don't get to Anaheim until 7-8 pm after getting dinner somewhere on the way. I also think you have a better chance at scoring a room request if you check in early the next day. You also have full access to GCH's amenities prior to actually getting your room. I love it! Ugghh, I need a Grand Cal vacation so bad.

We often do this too, but rotate hotels mainly based on Marriott and credit card points. Easy enough to pack an overnight bag and leave the main luggage in the car to get an early start. Haven't tried the residence but will put it on the list.

We're also former Harbor people, or were until we managed to snag a VGC reservation with WDW points past the 7 month mark. We then tried DLH and PPH on cash stays while still stalking for VGC with mixed success then decided to finally buy resale VGC.

But we go straight to VGC even though we get into town at 8-9PM. We could save points but we just want to be in the bubble and go to early park hours the next morning without having to also check-in at VGC super early. We'd probably be more open to it if we found a Harbor hotel we genuinely liked, but we never did.

We often do this too, but rotate hotels mainly based on Marriott and credit card points. Easy enough to pack an overnight bag and leave the main luggage in the car to get an early start. Haven't tried the residence but will put it on the list.
Residence Inn is awesome with points. A bit expensive on cash. Most of the rooms are suites so more spacious and free buffet breakfast. It's a bit of a hike compared to some others directly across Harbor. But I find it to be cleaner and nicer than the Anaheim Hotel, Desert Inn, and the likes.
We're also former Harbor people, or were until we managed to snag a VGC reservation with WDW points past the 7 month mark. We then tried DLH and PPH on cash stays while still stalking for VGC with mixed success then decided to finally buy resale VGC.

But we go straight to VGC even though we get into town at 8-9PM. We could save points but we just want to be in the bubble and go to early park hours the next morning without having to also check-in at VGC super early. We'd probably be more open to it if we found a Harbor hotel we genuinely liked, but we never did.
If rope dropping the first full day is a priority, then yes, I would probably book the arrival date at VGC. It's definitely more convenient not having to pack again and move hotels. I just don't feel that the first night is worth my VGC points if I'm checking in so late. We really like the Residence Inn for reasons listed above. But I also like the Marriott TP entrance. the rooms are spacious, with bunk beds for the kids, and a terrific pool/water park.

Yeah that’s the problem. The hotels right across are usually so old and cramped and outdated. You have to go further out (longer walks) to go to updated properties. And after walking all day with strollers and backpack, that walk feels like Mount Everest.
When I heard Disney bought Carousel Inn I thought they would update it and make a more affordable accommodation there. But so far I’ve heard nothing.

closest nonDisney with decent facilities is courtyard. Best value is Residence Inn/Springfield Suites - especially on points. Haven't done Westin; but that's a decent one too with a little further walk through DTD.

closest nonDisney with decent facilities is courtyard. Best value is Residence Inn/Springfield Suites - especially on points. Haven't done Westin; but that's a decent one too with a little further walk through DTD.
The Westin was awesome when we stayed there on arrival night a few months ago. Wish VGC was that clean and well run. But the walk is significant. Our favorite non-Disney hotel thus far, but too much of a walk for our park habits and 4-year-old.

The Westin was awesome when we stayed there on arrival night a few months ago. Wish VGC was that clean and well run. But the walk is significant. Our favorite non-Disney hotel thus far, but too much of a walk for our park habits and 4-year-old.
Pre-DVC days we were RI and Hyatt Place- (walk to Toystory lot) folk that did all day excursions.

Now, it's VGC with early entries, then lunch and dinner stops at hotel for restful sprints into the parks. :)

The Hyatt House is fantastic. It has a Walgreens and a real Starbucks (not a hotel “Starbucks”) in the building as well as a pizza place. 12 minutes from gate to room, 15 with kids.

I’m very curious to try the brand new hotels they opened on Manchester just behind the Courtyard. I think there’s 2 Hilton properties and a Holiday Inn Express.

Back to VDH, do we know if the local regulation on timeshare units being no larger than 50 units was ever repealed or expired? If not, do we know if Disney got an exception for VDH?

I know I've been assuming it's no longer an issue, but is that actually confirmed?

Back to VDH, do we know if the local regulation on timeshare units being no larger than 50 units was ever repealed or expired? If not, do we know if Disney got an exception for VDH?

I know I've been assuming it's no longer an issue, but is that actually confirmed?
The Disneyland Resort District had (technically still has) a 150 unit limit. The Anaheim City Zoning Board waived it when Disney requested a waiver and the city council did not overrule them.

I like getting things unpacked and getting settled that first night so we always go straight to whichever hotel we're staying in. When we drive, we have no clue what time we'll arrive so it just works out for us.

Yeah that’s the problem. The hotels right across are usually so old and cramped and outdated. You have to go further out (longer walks) to go to updated properties. And after walking all day with strollers and backpack, that walk feels like Mount Everest.
When I heard Disney bought Carousel Inn I thought they would update it and make a more affordable accommodation there. But so far I’ve heard nothing.

Is Carousel the one they demolished for parking?

I haven't been to the Westin there. But I was sad to see the Anabella go. Their grounds were so nice. My whole family stayed there when they were in town for my wedding back in 2006. (We were married at a chapel in Orange.)

Love the Westin! I have Amex Platinum so I can stay there and get $100 food and beverage credit, free breakfast for 2, noon check-in, 4pm check-out, and free room upgrade. We stayed there a couple weeks ago for my birthday weekend and it was easy to walk into the VGC entrance right behind other guests so that cut down on the walking distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter