• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

FOR SURE - add your request to your ADR - under OTHER. My son eats Vegan - and I did so for each ADR - and at each restaurant - the chef came out and gave him his choices - we think he even got the best meal out of the 10 of us - at the Rose and Crown - the chef made him a bowl of sauteed veggies in a garlic thyme broth - the smell and taste was heavenly! They even offered milk free ice cream at Mama Melrose!! Each experience was great!

Yikes...so I just called Disney Dining to add the vegan dietary restriction to all my reservations, and I was told that they don't do anything for "lifestyle" requests. I went round and round with the CM on the phone and he basically told me that at many restaurants I can expect a salad with no dressing as my "vegan" option.

HELP! What should I do?

We were there for one of the busiest weeks - between Christmas and New Year last year - and had NO PROBLEM - we ate at -

Rose and the Crown - EP
Tony's Town Square - MK
Ragland Road -DTD
Mama Melrose - HS
Boma -AKL chef came out and walked the buffet with my son, pointing out the many vegan options and even offering to tweak some items already on the buffet if he'd like.
Plus I think he picked up a veggie burger here and there for fast food options.

I just noted: " Other / Vegan " on my ADR on line - and
at each restaurant - the server already knew of the "request" and sent the chef out to the table to give my son ( 22 yrs old) his options. He was always more than pleased - but he will also settle for a bowl of pasta with marinara sauce - and even a "LT" sandwich ( BLT minus the B!) but never had to go that route.

NEVER was it treated like a hassle or a problem - but of course - we always ASKED what would be available - and we never assumed it was up to WDW to have to accomodate or give a wide selection of choices. ( not saying that you will mind you :o) )

Don't stress - remember - this IS DISNEY - and if you ask nice enough - they will try to accomodate you in any way!

Good Luck! :goodvibes

RCVegan.jpg

Here is a photo of the vegan veggie dish that the chef at the Rose and the Crown made for my son - the broth was made with garlic and thyme - it smelled ( and tasted ) wonderful! It should be a standard menu item - it was really that good!

Yikes...so I just called Disney Dining to add the vegan dietary restriction to all my reservations, and I was told that they don't do anything for "lifestyle" requests. I went round and round with the CM on the phone and he basically told me that at many restaurants I can expect a salad with no dressing as my "vegan" option.

HELP! What should I do?

Okay, don't panic! The restaurants I've been to have been pretty accommodating. They may refuse to mark it on your ticket, but I also read before that when that happened to someone they just called again, got a different representative and they were happy to add it to their ADRs as a note. It might depend on who helps you. If that doesn't work...

...Tell your server. Your server will most likely be able to figure it out. They get tons of diners a day, and many of them have all sorts of requests ranging from peanut allergies to gluten free. Just ask your server if the chef could possibly help you out. MOST of the time, they can help you, though I have heard a couple restaurants weren't as helpful (Restaurant Marrakesh comes to mind.)

I love how this thread is just blowing up with advice, btw!

Thanks. I appreciate the support.

When I first made my reservations in Feb, I was just starting on the journey, so I didn't indicate a dining request...or "other." I wanted to make sure I'd still be following this lifestyle before asking for any type of accomodation. At this point, I'm not sure my stomach could handle eating animal products since it's been several months.

I'll try to call again tomorrow and see what happens. Do you think I should try calling the restaurants? The CM I spoke to told me I couldn't do that, but I know some people on this thread have done that.

I've been to WDW many times and have never ended up with just a salad - well, maybe at the occasional counter service place (Yak and Yeti counter service comes to mind) but certainly we've never had a problem at the table service restaurants. So don't worry!

Teresa

When I first made my reservations in Feb, I was just starting on the journey, so I didn't indicate a dining request...or "other." I wanted to make sure I'd still be following this lifestyle before asking for any type of accomodation. At this point, I'm not sure my stomach could handle eating animal products since it's been several months.

I'll try to call again tomorrow and see what happens. Do you think I should try calling the restaurants? The CM I spoke to told me I couldn't do that, but I know some people on this thread have done that.

Absolutely do it! I actually emailed the Dietary Hotline and told them I couldn't do animal products and told them where exactly I was dining. I was able to get in touch with the chef at the Saratoga Springs resort and he was VERY helpful and told me that he could handle my request. The chef at the Wave was also very helpful when I mentioned a smoothie but couldn't do dairy. I didn't say I was vegan, nor did I say I was lactose intolerant, just said that I couldn't "do" it. They seem to take allergies a lot, lot more seriously there. It's really hit or miss depending on who is working that day, but you won't end up with just a salad unless you WANT to end up with a salad.

How easy is it to get in touch with individual restaurants and find out which chef is working?

I feel like we should also make a list of vegetarian/vegan friendly chefs to check to see if they're working before dining.

For instance, I had an amazing experience at the Maya Grill at CSR the first time I ate there. Chef was really cool, came out and introduced himself, shook my hand, asked what I liked. Made clear which breads were vegan and I loved the oil and hot pepper mix they have for dipping. He made me a spicy grilled vegetable dish with quinoa and roasted potatoes. It was an excellent way to start our trip and I wish I'd remembered his name!

We went back to the Maya Grill at the end of that same trip and a different chef was working. He said he could do something but didn't ask any questions. We told the server what we liked and what we had the last time we were there, and what I ended up with was essentially a flavorless plate of steamed vegetables. Thankfully I filled up on the bread!

I am not a vegan, i just do not eat meat. I am a very simple eater tho. I usually eat seafood, salads & pizza when at WDW. Some of the meatless options are funky. Wish they had BOCA burgers! I love them. I have a corn allergy so i cant eat most veggie burgers, thats why i wish they had BOCA.

So, we were paying rack rate for our vacation, and are lucky enough that we were able to change weeks so that we could apply the FD to our trip. I plan on using all snack credits on F&W Fest, and freeing up our schedule by booking two signature meals. I would do three, but Boma is a must for us...so I'm still trying to figure out one TS and on Signature meal. Here is what we have so far:

10/22
Arrival. No ADRs. We will go right to MK for the fireworks, and our favorite rides. This is room night only for us.

10/23
Dinner: EP Chefs 7:10pm (would change if someone can convince of something better). ;)

10/24
MK (pm EMH) day split with a break for dinner at Boma 5:10. Would rather do Boma on our AK day, but we will be meeting a friend and the cost of the buffet is not cost effective for her...

10/25
DHS Rope Drop to 4ish. Dinner at California Grill 5:30

10/26
EP Food & Wine. Date Night for EMH. No ADRs plannned.

10/27
AK all day. Looking for a Signature Dining for our dinner! :confused3

10/28
MNSSHP. Originally had our CG ADR here, but I don't want to be tied to an ADR this day. This will most likely be a resort day so we can fully enjoy the party at night! :banana:

10/29
Departure Day. :sad2: We will hit a park for the first half of the day. Maybe get rid of our Chef's dinner on the 23rd and add a lunch ADR here?

We are all vegetarians (except for two 14 y/o girls who will most likely want to order off the kid's menus). I am looking at Flying Fish, Citricos, Artist's Point, Narcossee's, Yachtsman, and Wolfgang Puck. Any opinions about which would really be best for our party? We have already eaten at Jiko and want to try something different, which is why I did not include it.

Can anyone give an update to some of the most vegan friendly places in Disney? I just booked my vacation. I haven't been to Disney in about three years, so I'm wondering if someone can direct me to an updated list.

Can anyone give an update to some of the most vegan friendly places in Disney? I just booked my vacation. I haven't been to Disney in about three years, so I'm wondering if someone can direct me to an updated list.

Boma at AKL was probably the most vegan friendly and least hassle on our last trip.

The 50s Prime Time Cafe at DHS was also very accommodating--and I especially loved the old-fashioned ice cream deserts they made me with Tofutti.

The Brown Derby at DHS also has a vegan coconut-encrusted tofu dish on its menu.

There a link to a great blog earlier in this thread, but I also loaded up this site on my iPhone the whole trip:

http://sayitsnotsoy.com/wdw_vegan/

Even if the menu options weren't entirely up-to-date, it at least gave me an idea of which restaurants were best to check out at the parks (and if there was a menu change, it usually included a new vegan option).

But for most any TS restaurant at a hotel, they will make something for you if you talk to the chef.

I honestly couldn't really tell you what the most vegan-friendly places are, since this changes frequently. It really depends on the chef, however we have ALWAYS had lots of luck with Tusker House in the AK and Boma at AKL. I also hear that Sanaa is great for vegetarians and vegans. Good luck!

HELP! What should I do?

I booked all our reservations online, so I just went in and looked up what it says in there. I can't remember what I checked off, but I thik it was "other", with the intentions of contacting special diets (like we did last time).

It says on my reservation:

Special Dietary Requests

The allergies and/or food intolerances you indicated have been noted. However, to protect your privacy, they are not displayed with your reservation information.

* If it is at least 2 weeks until your reservation date, please email us at SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com with any food-allergy or food-intolerance concerns.
* If it is within 2 weeks of your reservation, please call (407) 824-5967, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday. Calls outside of business hours will be returned the next business day. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.
* Finally, we request that you please confirm your dietary requests with the chef or manager on duty when you arrive at your dining location.

Even if you didn't make any note while doing the reservation (and people have said that you should say you have an *allergy* to meat, fish, milk, etc, to give them a head's up, since they don't have "vegan" as an option), just write to them or call them. Have your ADR #s and the dates, and just let them know.

The CMs answering the phones haven't necessarily even BEEN to WDW, and many aren't even in the same state. Don't let them panic you.

Out at Disneyland, where menus aren't nearly as intricate and dining isn't as worried-about, you can call to talk to their chefs about issues. I had an hour long conversation with one of their chefs, it was awesome. They want to feed EVERYONE. They don't want to leave people un-fed. So they will work with you. And that's just Disneyland...let alone WDW!

Do not worry.

I booked all our reservations online, so I just went in and looked up what it says in there. I can't remember what I checked off, but I thik it was "other", with the intentions of contacting special diets (like we did last time).

It says on my reservation:

Even if you didn't make any note while doing the reservation (and people have said that you should say you have an *allergy* to meat, fish, milk, etc, to give them a head's up, since they don't have "vegan" as an option), just write to them or call them. Have your ADR #s and the dates, and just let them know.

The CMs answering the phones haven't necessarily even BEEN to WDW, and many aren't even in the same state. Don't let them panic you.

Out at Disneyland, where menus aren't nearly as intricate and dining isn't as worried-about, you can call to talk to their chefs about issues. I had an hour long conversation with one of their chefs, it was awesome. They want to feed EVERYONE. They don't want to leave people un-fed. So they will work with you. And that's just Disneyland...let alone WDW!

Do not worry.

Thank you. I called Special Diets today and I chickened out and told them that my doctor is investigating a food allergy and we're eliminating things from my diet. They were very helpful when I put it this way!

I had emailed them in July with a request for vegan options, but they gave me a "we have a lot of vegetarian options that can be made vegan" response.

I really just wanted to give the table service restaurants a "heads up" so there is something available.

Whew...now I can relax and enjoy my trip!! Thank you!

RCVegan.jpg

Here is a photo of the vegan veggie dish that the chef at the Rose and the Crown made for my son - the broth was made with garlic and thyme - it smelled ( and tasted ) wonderful! It should be a standard menu item - it was really that good!

That looks so yummy!!!

Would love some help from the experts here. My daughter is allergic to dairy, egg, peanut & treenuts. It's easiest when I explain to people that basically she eats vegan but with a protein. Alot of servers tend to forget that butter/egg based sauces should be included in her allergy (so I explain its like a vegan diet to help them remember, but I don't want to offend any vegans here.)

OK here is our ressie list for Oct. F&W trip. Can anyone recommend dishes they've had at the following restaurants?

1. Narcoossee's

2. Akershus

3. Le Cellier

4. Polynesian Luau/Spirit of Aloha

Thanks in advance!!

No offense taken! Although I would caution that if your daughter prefers to eat meat "vegan but with a protein" makes very little sense, as a lot of vegan food is very rich in protein - just not the meat based kind. Does that make sense?

The restaurants you have chosen should respond well to your requests. Considering the meat options at all four I'd assume the worst your daughter would end up with is a meat dish with no sauce. Just make sure you list the allergies when you call in your Dining Requests and remind your server once you get to the restaurant. In my experience allergies are taken very seriously.

Would love some help from the experts here. My daughter is allergic to dairy, egg, peanut & treenuts. It's easiest when I explain to people that basically she eats vegan but with a protein. Alot of servers tend to forget that butter/egg based sauces should be included in her allergy (so I explain its like a vegan diet to help them remember, but I don't want to offend any vegans here.)

OK here is our ressie list for Oct. F&W trip. Can anyone recommend dishes they've had at the following restaurants?

1. Narcoossee's

2. Akershus

3. Le Cellier

4. Polynesian Luau/Spirit of Aloha

Thanks in advance!!

No offense taken! Although I would caution that if your daughter prefers to eat meat "vegan but with a protein" makes very little sense, as a lot of vegan food is very rich in protein - just not the meat based kind. Does that make sense?

The restaurants you have chosen should respond well to your requests. Considering the meat options at all four I'd assume the worst your daughter would end up with is a meat dish with no sauce. Just make sure you list the allergies when you call in your Dining Requests and remind your server once you get to the restaurant. In my experience allergies are taken very seriously.

I would simply state her allergies. Saying vegan with a protein makes things confusing for waiters/chefs. When I say I'm vegan, so many chefs ask, "do you eat fish?" Vegan should already imply that I do not eat any animals or animal products. It annoys me when other people claim they are vegan or vegetarian when they are not. Why not simply state what you can and can't eat? Instead it just confuses people.

When I go to Disney, I usually state that I'm vegetarian, but also allergic to dairy and eggs.

Also, saying "vegan with a protein" doesn't include her nut allergies. Vegan doesn't mean nut-free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter