Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

I see that the Rose & Crown has changed their menu. The curried vegetable dish is gone, replaced by: Has anyone tried this and if so, what was it exactly and how was it?

I'm not sure if this is the same dish re-named, but about a year and a half ago I had a vegetarian shepards pie at Rose & Crown, and it was absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite meal of the trip (especially with the potato & leek soup as an appetizer...yum!), a pleasant surprise. I am vegetarian though, not vegan, so while I'm sure they could make it vegan (I think I saw a review a while back), I'm not sure how it compares.

Basically it was a pot pie, with the filler sauce a cross between gravy and a cream of mushroom soup - really delicious. Then there were veggies, although I'm having a hard time remembering which ones...I want to say mushrooms, carrots, peas, maybe broccoli? And a layer of mashed potatoes and cheese on top. I could have done without the cheese - it wasn't bad at all, I just didn't think it added much to the dish. It was also served with a side of mixed greens.

I'm not sure if this is the same dish re-named, but about a year and a half ago I had a vegetarian shepards pie at Rose & Crown, and it was absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite meal of the trip (especially with the potato & leek soup as an appetizer...yum!), a pleasant surprise. I am vegetarian though, not vegan, so while I'm sure they could make it vegan (I think I saw a review a while back), I'm not sure how it compares.

Basically it was a pot pie, with the filler sauce a cross between gravy and a cream of mushroom soup - really delicious. Then there were veggies, although I'm having a hard time remembering which ones...I want to say mushrooms, carrots, peas, maybe broccoli? And a layer of mashed potatoes and cheese on top. I could have done without the cheese - it wasn't bad at all, I just didn't think it added much to the dish. It was also served with a side of mixed greens.
I have also had the vegetarian shepherd's pie and liked it a lot. The new menu item sounds similar so at first I thought they brought it back but just changed the name for some reason.

The Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie was described as "Creamy Mushroom-Vegetable Ragout topped with Mashed Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese served with Mixed Greens and Roasted Portobello Mushroom $14.99"

The new Vegetable Pie 'n' Mash is described as "with seasonal vegetables, mushrooms, potatoes, and cheddar cheese $14.99"

My DH said that based on the name "Pie 'n' Mash" he thinks it's something different and that I should try to find out for sure what this is and whether anyone likes it before booking an ADR there. Unfortunately for me, DH said he has no interest in eating there unless I can find out for sure what this is.

I think I read somewhere that the new thing is more like quiche then shepherd's pie.

Oh, good to know! I have been thinking about going back, based almost solely on that shepard's pie (it was just THAT good!), thinking that they just changed the name. Sorry my response was unhelpful - I'd love to hear if someone has tried this as well.

Just read on the Disney Food Blog that there will be a entirely vegan food booth at the F&W Festival this year! :goodvibes

If the chef makes something off menu for you is it still included on the dining plan?

For those who choose not to do the dining plan how is the price decided?

Do you feel the dining plan is worth it for vegetarians/vegans?

To answer your questions:

Yes.
Usually they charge the same as whatever the other veg entree was (usually).
Vegetarian yes, vegan, not really, but it depends where and how you eat.

Just read on the Disney Food Blog that there will be a entirely vegan food booth at the F&W Festival this year! :goodvibes

Wow! That's cool! I'm at F&W this year so I'll have to check them out.

I'm a strict veggie rather than a vegan (in that I do dairy but no fish as some veggies do, and I rarely touch egg) but I never say no to a nice bit of vegan food. :)

Oh, as an aside, can anyone give me the low down on Tokyo Dining for someone who doesn't eat fish?

My partner and I are really into sushi now as our local chain (Yo Sushi) does a mountain load of stuff that is at least veggie (and a good portion is vegan I think, but don't hold me to it) but the menu for Tokyo Dining seems a lot more fish-centric.

Though saying that they have Miso so I'll be happy! :)

I haven't eaten there, but my vegan son who LOVES sushi says Tokyo Dining is great for vegans and he tries to eat there on every visit.

TP

Wow! That's cool! I'm at F&W this year so I'll have to check them out.

I'm a strict veggie rather than a vegan (in that I do dairy but no fish as some veggies do, and I rarely touch egg) but I never say no to a nice bit of vegan food. :)

Oh, as an aside, can anyone give me the low down on Tokyo Dining for someone who doesn't eat fish?

My partner and I are really into sushi now as our local chain (Yo Sushi) does a mountain load of stuff that is at least veggie (and a good portion is vegan I think, but don't hold me to it) but the menu for Tokyo Dining seems a lot more fish-centric.

Though saying that they have Miso so I'll be happy! :)
I tried Tokyo Dining last year, and love the tempura there! Just make sure you ask for regular soy sauce, since the dipping sauce the tempura usually comes with has fish powder in it. The miso soup there also has fish powder or something in it. I also really love the seaweed salad there.

Hey everyone! Has anyone tried the new vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs at Prime time? Wondering if they are vegan and if they are good. I really liked that couscous dish with the veggies minus cheese.Oh well, I make it at home anyways. We're going up for Star Wars weekends, and I always find Studios to be the most frustrating park to get food at. I just want to make a reservation somewhere so we can get into the air conditioning!

Haven't been here in a while but I thought I'd pop in and let you all know that there is a very exciting post on the Disney Parks Blog today about changes to the Food and Wine Festival.

There is now a TERRA Marketplace which will be offering up some vegan options! Hooray! One of them include a faux chicken curry dish with basmati race and CASHEW CHEESE. Cashew cheese! I love me some cashew cheese.

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/landscape-of-flavors-at-art-of-animation-menu-food-seating-condiment-pictures-aka-part-2/#more-8379

Big HOLLAAAAA out to Josh at Easywdw for posting this . From the looks of his report, it seems like AOA will be our new value hotel destination. Babycakes at the hotel ready to buy? Awesome! (Does carribean beach do this? I'm staying there next weekend!) There seems to be so so sooo many vegetarian/vegan options here! Thank you Disney!
I read somewhere that this is the only place Babycakes is available other then DTD.

I am so glad to find so many other vegetarians and Vegans here!!! You guys have posted some great information! The last time I went to Disney was years ago and I wasn't a veggie at that point, I've been so nervous about going back and finding it hard to eat, but now I'm pretty excited to try some of the things you guys have recommended. So thank you!

Love! It's great to find others who like Disney and eat vegetarian too! Can't wait to go through all the posts. I am vegetarian and found pretty decent success on my last trip, but would love to be even more knowledgeable on my next trip. Yeah!

Hey everyone! Has anyone tried the new vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs at Prime time? Wondering if they are vegan and if they are good. I really liked that couscous dish with the veggies minus cheese.Oh well, I make it at home anyways. We're going up for Star Wars weekends, and I always find Studios to be the most frustrating park to get food at. I just want to make a reservation somewhere so we can get into the air conditioning!

The Studios are actually pretty easy to get vegan food at. At least they have been in my experience.

I was told that the vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs were vegan when I ate at the Prime Time Cafe in October. The time I was there before that, they made me something custom and it was really good. Also, they do amazing vegan milkshakes and sundaes there.

Pro-tip: If the wait is long for Prime Time, eat at the bar. You don't get the shtick, but it's the same food. :)

The Brown Derby has a vegan curry and tofu dish. It's pretty filling with lots of noodles and vegetables, but there's only one decent sized piece of tofu, encrusted with coconut.

Pizza Planet also has a vegan pizza (Amy's I think) that isn't on the menu, but when all else fails claim dairy allergy and they'll bring out the allergy binder for you, which has some vegan and gluten-free options.

A ten-minute walk from the Studios is Beaches & Cream at the Disney Beach Club hotel. I had an amazing vegan sundae there with Tofutti ice cream covered in peanut butter and marshmallow topping, which I was assured was vegan.

Right across the way is also Kouzinna at the Disney Boardwalk hotel, and the Chef there was incredibly attentive and made me a custom vegan sampler platter and incredible hot berry crumble.

Plus, from there it's only a five-minute walk to EPCOT.

(I recommend between walking between DHS and the hotels, EPCOT, because it's actually much faster than the slow boat ride).

Has any vegetarian ever been to the Whispering Canyon Cafe? We are trying it out for the first time on this visit.

I am curious how the quinoa cakes are as an entree. Also, DH will probably be ordering the skillet but it has so much meat on it it doesn't make sense for a vegetarian. You don't think they would substitute quinoa cakes for the meat on the skillet??

Just curious, thanks! :goodvibes

Has any vegetarian ever been to the Whispering Canyon Cafe? We are trying it out for the first time on this visit.

I am curious how the quinoa cakes are as an entree. Also, DH will probably be ordering the skillet but it has so much meat on it it doesn't make sense for a vegetarian. You don't think they would substitute quinoa cakes for the meat on the skillet??

Just curious, thanks! :goodvibes

Yes! I am vegan and had no problems. I just told the waiter that I was vegan and the chef came out and talked with me. After the second time I was there, the waiter just got the chef, not bringing the memu at all. I am jealous. It was a wonderful vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter