• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

I don't know that it was a "bad" experience, but we did not care for Kona. I had a cheese omelet with some sort of breakfast potatoes and toast. My daughter had pancakes. The pancakes were a little tough, like they'd been sitting there awhile. The omelet was fair to average - nothing special. The potatoes were dry. Maybe it was just an off day, because I hear a lot of good things about Kona. But I won't hurry back based on that first experience. The coffee was good. :)
Thanks for the info! We plan to do stir fry for dinner. Hopefully will be decent.

I did read on a blog that Kona will make vegan Tonga Toast upon request, which I think is pretty awesome. That may make a breakfast stop at Kona worthwhile for me--but I'm also doing dinner at the Wave. If I could only choose one, I'd definitely go for Wave.

Hello! This thread is wonderful and has helped me realize that the amazing vegan meal experiences I had at Boma and Jiko years ago were courtesy of Chef TJ. So now I've got my eye on a Trails End ADR to eat his food again! I've noticed his style at Trails End leans toward the spicy. Do you think someone that can't handle very spicy food would still enjoy it?

That's great that you've gotten to enjoy his cooking in the past!

I think you should definitely make that ADR at Trail's End. You can let Chef TJ know that you are not able to handle spicy food, and he will certainly accommodate. On the 2nd visit, I spoke with him about the jalapeños, and since then (when we go back) he has actually remembered that I do not like them (what a fantastic chef/cast member/person he is)!

We've had excellent experiences at Kona, for both breakfast and dinner. Love the Pineapple Macademia pancakes for breakfast and the stirfry for dinner......oh and the Lapu Lapu for a cocktail! :crazy:

So excited to hear that Chef TJ is at Trail's End. Will put it on our list for April.

Does anyone one know what a good time to go to Trail's End is? I know there are shows at 6:15 and 8pm....what time would be best to get Chef TJ? I have 4 young (vegan) kids, so I don't want to eat too late....

Does anyone one know what a good time to go to Trail's End is? I know there are shows at 6:15 and 8pm....what time would be best to get Chef TJ? I have 4 young (vegan) kids, so I don't want to eat too late....

The best times are either 4:45 or 6:45, Sunday through Thursday (for the most part). :)

Adding to the Kona conversation, I think it was my favorite meal! I got the noodle bowl and the press pot coffee and loved everything. I want to try different places next time we go though... I'm always looking for ideas. Has anyone eaten at the Boathouse lately? I have a lunch reservation there in October and I'm crossing my fingers :)

Can anyone tell me about dinner at Crystal Palace? Vegetarian (lacto/ovo is fine) options? I've never been to CP and I know breakfast gets good reviews but I'm just concerned with dinner :)

We have ADRs in 2 weeks at Trails End, and hope to have a good experience there with Chef TJ. We are a mixed group of Vegan/ mostly Vegetarians and a few meat eaters.

I've heard great things from people that have told Chef TJ they are Vegans. If we tell him we'd like to dine vegetarian (include dairy and eggs) will he still create his amazing creations (since we'd rather have real ice cream in our dessert and real cheese on Nachos if he creates that)? Or are we better off telling him we are vegan since i have heard that is what he creates?

Thanks!

I have reservations for 1900 park fare for dinner because of the character aspect. Anyone ever been there for dinner? Did you get enough to eat as a vegetarian?

Can anyone tell me about dinner at Crystal Palace? Vegetarian (lacto/ovo is fine) options? I've never been to CP and I know breakfast gets good reviews but I'm just concerned with dinner :)

I was there for lunch last May and had a great experience with Chef Ron. I imagine the food would be similar at lunch and dinner? Oh, and being a vegetarian should not be a problem (vegan is a bit more challenging).

We have ADRs in 2 weeks at Trails End, and hope to have a good experience there with Chef TJ. We are a mixed group of Vegan/ mostly Vegetarians and a few meat eaters.

I've heard great things from people that have told Chef TJ they are Vegans. If we tell him we'd like to dine vegetarian (include dairy and eggs) will he still create his amazing creations (since we'd rather have real ice cream in our dessert and real cheese on Nachos if he creates that)? Or are we better off telling him we are vegan since i have heard that is what he creates?

Thanks!

Hmm, that's a good question. I would be honest with him and tell him like what you wrote here - that you want to try his food, but that you prefer real ice cream and real cheese. Perhaps he will accommodate?

I have reservations for 1900 park fare for dinner because of the character aspect. Anyone ever been there for dinner? Did you get enough to eat as a vegetarian?

I was there for dinner last July, and I had a great experience with Chef Christopher, who was mentored by the famous Chef TJ. I was able to get enough to eat. :)

I need help breaking out of my vegetarian quick service eat at same restaurant because I know I can eat something other than a veggie burger, cheese pizza or pasta. Both DD12 and I are vegetarians. Example - at Epcot when in FW always order without fail the kids meal veggie flatbread pizza at Electric Umbrella. Is it awesomely delicious - not really but it is something we both eat plus we can get healthy sides so we order it because it's easy and convenient and I don't have to research the menu in advance.

Help me break free of my "easy convenient quick service" meals.

What is your go to have to eat vegetarian quick service at Disney? Alternative question - what's the one meal you find yourself eating over and over again because it's "easy and convenient?

I need help breaking out of my vegetarian quick service eat at same restaurant because I know I can eat something other than a veggie burger, cheese pizza or pasta. Both DD12 and I are vegetarians. Example - at Epcot when in FW always order without fail the kids meal veggie flatbread pizza at Electric Umbrella. Is it awesomely delicious - not really but it is something we both eat plus we can get healthy sides so we order it because it's easy and convenient and I don't have to research the menu in advance.

Help me break free of my "easy convenient quick service" meals.

What is your go to have to eat vegetarian quick service at Disney? Alternative question - what's the one meal you find yourself eating over and over again because it's "easy and convenient?

Sunshine seasons at Epcot was great. Vegan beef strips, beet any goat cheese salad, etc...

Look for mr. Kamals cart in AK - veggie noodles, falafel sandwhich, hummus and pita

MK - I hear the sandwich at Columbia harbor house is very good. The soups at BOG are both vegetarian.

HS - meh.

Sunshine seasons at Epcot was great. Vegan beef strips, beet any goat cheese salad, etc...

Look for mr. Kamals cart in AK - veggie noodles, falafel sandwhich, hummus and pita

MK - I hear the sandwich at Columbia harbor house is very good. The soups at BOG are both vegetarian.

HS - meh.

Thank you. I was thinking about trying to get us to Sunshine Season at Epcot so thank you for the extra push.

Columbia Harbor House is one of our go to places but in a good way :-)

Mr. Kamel sounds yummy. Thank you

Totally agree on HS. We have yet to find a QS that we both like and enjoy.

I was there for lunch last May and had a great experience with Chef Ron. I imagine the food would be similar at lunch and dinner? Oh, and being a vegetarian should not be a problem (vegan is a bit more challenging).

Thank you so much for the reply and linking your review! It is really helpful. I don't usually have any trouble finding vegetarian food at any restaurant (especially disney) but I'm always nervous about hidden stuff in buffets. I was worried the mashed potatoes may have chicken stock but since they just mentioned the cream to you, I likely they don't. That pasta looks really good! I hope I'm able to get a pre-meatball plate too :) good to know the chef doesn't mind pointing out the options and seems extremely helpful

Hi,
I am a new vegan. I made our table service reservations 120 day ago with out any notes or request. (cause BigMomma was a meat eater) I was just looking at the WDW site and found:
Most restaurants offer no-sugar-added, low-fat, low-sodium and vegetarian options. Advance arrangements are not necessary for guests with lifestyle dietary requests. Guests can discuss any dietary requests with their server upon arrival.

Is that true? I thought I would have to call and say, No meat, No eggs, No milk, low fat.

They don't even have a thing to mark for vegan and vegetarian. You can just go there and let them know.

The one thing I ever contacted them about was asking if any place had real maple syrup. Two places were able to provide it; Kona and Hollywood and Vine. Made DS so happy. But he's so used to butter and powdered sugar on pancakes now it was tooth sugar, and we don't bother with it anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter