Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Violife for shreds and slices, though Trader Joes is pretty good too. Daiya is good if you are melting but not great cold. For wheels and pizza cheese, Miyokos is amazing but pricy. Their pourable mozzarella for pizza/pastas is incredible and one bottle can make 4 pizzas.
The vio life smoky is about the best but it doesn’t melt well, I find. The will only get better though as techniques and recipes Improve 👍🏻

Yeah, vegas cheese is not as good as the real thing. But I don't find it disgusting.

When it comes to the meat, its all a matter of preference. I really dislike Beyond meat. Impossible, bean, and veggie burgers are all good to me (to varying degrees). But when I see Beyond meat, I pass
Each to their own I guess 🤷🏼‍♀️ Can’t wait to try some US offerings 👍🏻

Yep. My favorite brands taste just as good as cheese with cows milk if not better and melt fine. Bad brands don’t.

Violife for shreds and slices, though Trader Joes is pretty good too. Daiya is good if you are melting but not great cold. For wheels and pizza cheese, Miyokos is amazing but pricy. Their pourable mozzarella for pizza/pastas is incredible and one bottle can make 4 pizzas.

Agree to all of this! The feta and parmesean by Violife are great too. I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Deleted.. going to try the next suggestion .
Thank you Country Crock Plant Butter sounds perfect.

Last edited:

I sat across from a Super Shopper at Starbucks the other day and she was going to stock up on Earth Balance Margarine or Butter…her husband is vegan and that is the only brand he likes .She found it half price…
Is it that good and that expensive ?
I have been searching for low salt butter or margarine .
Anubody got recommendations.?
Thanks

Oops Sorry, I just googled for some reviews and it seems EB changed the ingredients and everybody within last 10 days is “bad mouthing Con Agra online … and bad tasting response from the company too. so sorry please try another one of our products,,,

I don’t know what type of sodium levels you are looking for. After trying many different butters I have settled on Country Crock plant butter. It tastes just like butter and is way cheaper than anything else I have tried. I buy the sticks at a wholesale club as those last a long time, beyond the expiration date. The tub I buy at a regular grocery store even though its more expensive than a wholesale club per ounce because I am one person and a small tub lasts me half a year.

Any recommendations for restaurants that have vegetarian/ vegan meals that don’t involve imitation meat? We have Sanaa on our list. Cheese is okay in very small quantities, so like an accent of feta or such but not an eggplant parm.

Any recommendations for restaurants that have vegetarian/ vegan meals that don’t involve imitation meat? We have Sanaa on our list. Cheese is okay in very small quantities, so like an accent of feta or such but not an eggplant parm.
Unfortunately the majority of plant based options as of late involve impossible meat with some kind of unmodifiable vegan cheese

I will say steakhouse 71 had a plant based mushroom wellington that as of April 2023 was still on the menu that was good

Skipper Canteen at MK has a falafel appetizer & a veg curry stew. Spice Road Table at EPCOT has a number of small plates. For QS my son likes the falafel meal at Docking Bay 7 & loves the veggie bowl at Satuli Canteen.

If you want something modified at any restaurant they are usually really good at doing so, if asked (not for everything, but nothing I've asked for has ever been denied if they have what they need to sub in), but that means you have to skip mobile order for QS. If you go up to an actual human being, they can usually mod the food for you at the register, or if it a food court, you can just ask the server.

Beaches and Cream has a really tasty grilled cheese (and grilled "cheese" I believe too) with tomato soup or tots, but I suppose that doesn't fit the question.

More non-fake-meat options would be welcome! I miss the falafel burger at Cosmic Ray's...

Is tofu ok? Satu'li Canteen at Animal Kingdom has customizable tofu bowls that are great. You choose a base and sauce and there are lots of options, but double check that they are vegetarian/vegan as needed (like, the black bean sauce contains fish sauce).

There's also a tofu dish at Flying Fish that's good and one that's at Backlot Express that is ok in a pinch but not a favorite of mine.

Is tofu ok? Satu'li Canteen at Animal Kingdom has customizable tofu bowls that are great. You choose a base and sauce and there are lots of options, but double check that they are vegetarian/vegan as needed (like, the black bean sauce contains fish sauce).

There's also a tofu dish at Flying Fish that's good and one that's at Backlot Express that is ok in a pinch but not a favorite of mine.
That sounds great! Thanks for the ideas. I wouldn’t have thought to check Flying Fish!

I have a comment that’s not really Disney specific but I will say I’m looking forward to reading this thread to see if there are any vegan tips in general. I’m really trying to eat healthier and it’s been at least a couple years where I’m just tired of meat…unfortunately my husband and three kids are not. Anyway, I am allergic to tree nuts. Cashews are the worst, ingesting them would require an epi pen. Whenever I’m looking for vegan recipes I notice a ton of them use cashews and lots of times they are “hidden” (blended up with other things). Anyone eat nut free and vegan and have any suggestions for substitutes? I have borrowed numerous books from the library and browsed online and just get really discouraged.

I have a comment that’s not really Disney specific but I will say I’m looking forward to reading this thread to see if there are any vegan tips in general. I’m really trying to eat healthier and it’s been at least a couple years where I’m just tired of meat…unfortunately my husband and three kids are not. Anyway, I am allergic to tree nuts. Cashews are the worst, ingesting them would require an epi pen. Whenever I’m looking for vegan recipes I notice a ton of them use cashews and lots of times they are “hidden” (blended up with other things). Anyone eat nut free and vegan and have any suggestions for substitutes? I have borrowed numerous books from the library and browsed online and just get really discouraged.
I am whole foods plant based (like strict vegan). Have you connected with any Facebook groups? I am apart of Forks Over Knives and other plant based FB groups and you can search the posts for any questions you may have and if you cant find the answer, just ask. Nut allergies are pretty common and usually someone will have a workaround for them. Plus people are more than willing to share good recipes/websites they have found.

I am whole foods plant based (like strict vegan). Have you connected with any Facebook groups? I am apart of Forks Over Knives and other plant based FB groups and you can search the posts for any questions you may have and if you cant find the answer, just ask. Nut allergies are pretty common and usually someone will have a workaround for them. Plus people are more than willing to share good recipes/websites they have found.
I will check it out. I don’t really post on Facebook but I have an account. I’ll join the group and look around. Thanks!

I am sure you will get some good suggestions from some on the boards here. I would suggest also to find a nutritionist and maybe book an appointment and talk with them about your concerns. You would be surprised at the wealth of knowledge that they can impart, and they might have some great suggestions for recipes, cookbooks, websites, etc. You might also get in touch with an allergy doctor/nurse and see if you can't find out what they would suggest. I know of someone who did this (the nutritionist angle) and it made a huge difference for them. Good luck :)

I don’t eat nuts often aside from peanut butter. I don’t like the flavor of most nuts. In fact I avoid recipes with cashews due to being unable to find ethical raw or roasted cashews for sale anywhere. I eat a lot of produce, grains, beans, lentils, tofu, and vegan chick’n/beef products- not sure if the latter has tree nuts. Baked goods I typically use Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer, applesauce and oil, or JUST egg. Vegan dairy I use soy or oat products. I’m not sure what specifically you are trying to find but a search for vegan cashew-free recipes has a few results. Cashew is just used a lot because of its mild taste and versatility- I wish more people were aware of the labor issues.

I'm not vegan, but I have tree nut (with cashew as prime), mango and dairy allergies, so I do eat a lot of vegan tree nut free food. And in Lent, that's my Fridays.

Olive oil, Melt vegan buttery spread, and canola oil are my go to fats. The 1st is what I do almost all my savory cooking with. The 2nd is what I use when I need a "buttery" taste. And the last is what I tend to bake with (although I also use Melt, but Melt is pricey and money is an object for me). I also keep coconut oil in the fridge for some baking my daughter does for me.

For milks, I use oatmilk, rice milk, and Asian canned coconut milk. Oatmilk is for my coffee/cereal (I don't drink cups of it), rice milk is for mashed potatoes (with olive oil and Melt) and savory/sweet cooking where you don't want a "flavor", but just a sweetish liquid, Asian canned coconut milk is for my Asian savory cooking and my sweet cooking where a coconut flavor would not be off-putting.

For proteins, I use fortified nutritional yeast (I make a vegan "alfredo sauce" - and this product delivers so many B vitamins and proteins, it's great), peanut butter/peanuts, tofu, quinoa, lentils, chickpeas, and beans (black bean and great Northern beans are my favorites). I don't buy processed "plant based" proteins b/c I don't want overly processed foods (and as you've found, most have hidden tree nuts), whether vegan or not. So, I don't do the cheeses or the meats made of veg, unless it actually wants to be the veg. So, my one "plant based" protein is a black bean burger, b/c that has always wanted to be black beans:). I also do portobello burgers.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter