Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

I'm not vegan, but I have tree nut (with cashew as prime), mango and dairy allergies, so I do eat a lot of vegan tree nut free food. And in Lent, that's my Fridays.

Olive oil, Melt vegan buttery spread, and canola oil are my go to fats. The 1st is what I do almost all my savory cooking with. The 2nd is what I use when I need a "buttery" taste. And the last is what I tend to bake with (although I also use Melt, but Melt is pricey and money is an object for me). I also keep coconut oil in the fridge for some baking my daughter does for me.

For milks, I use oatmilk, rice milk, and Asian canned coconut milk. Oatmilk is for my coffee/cereal (I don't drink cups of it), rice milk is for mashed potatoes (with olive oil and Melt) and savory/sweet cooking where you don't want a "flavor", but just a sweetish liquid, Asian canned coconut milk is for my Asian savory cooking and my sweet cooking where a coconut flavor would not be off-putting.

For proteins, I use fortified nutritional yeast (I make a vegan "alfredo sauce" - and this product delivers so many B vitamins and proteins, it's great), peanut butter/peanuts, tofu, quinoa, lentils, and beans (black bean and great Northern beans are my favorites). I don't buy processed "plant based" proteins b/c I don't want overly processed foods (and as you've found, most have hidden tree nuts), whether vegan or not. So, I don't do the cheeses or the meats made of veg, unless it actually wants to be the veg. So, my one "plant based" protein is a black bean burger, b/c that has always wanted to be black beans:). I also do portobello burgers.
Thank you so much! Those are some great ideas.

Violife for shreds and slices, though Trader Joes is pretty good too. Daiya is good if you are melting but not great cold. For wheels and pizza cheese, Miyokos is amazing but pricy. Their pourable mozzarella for pizza/pastas is incredible and one bottle can make 4 pizzas.
I like Chao smoked gouda style (and others). the slices melt well and usually they are on sale at Grocery Outlet for $2.99 as opposed to major stores at $6.99+

Follow your heart is my second fav

I got some Violife shreds recently and they wouldn't melt worth a darn.

Just a hint I picked up; if you want the "cheese" melty, it usually works best to put it in the microwave for a short period of time rather than just trying to, say, melt it on a patty in a pan. So, if I make a "burger" in a frying pan and put the "cheese" on it in the pan, it doesn't tend to melt the way I want it, so I take the patty out when done frying after I put the slice on top, then just nuke it for like 25 seconds, and it melts the way I prefer.

I’ve gotten vegan cheese to melt fine in the microwave as part of a reheated quinoa bowl or something similar; on burgers by putting a lid on after I flip; and for grilled cheese I cook it slowly on low heat. :) Melts fine in the oven and microwave but stovetop either needs low heat or a lit

Hi all! New to this thread and I hope it is the right place to ask this. I‘m mostly vegetarian but not vegan and it is very frustrating to look at the plant based menu items. Mostly they are impossible burgers, but not enough tofu items. Anyhow, they all seem to have vegan cheese and I love dairy! Is it possible to ask for my vegetable based burger with “real” cheese?
TIA

I don't know about at TS places, but at the CS places I've asked at, unfortunately they say they can't substitute "regular" cheese, because the vegan sandwiches are prepackaged. I simply dislike vegan cheese, but love regular cheese.

Hi all! New to this thread and I hope it is the right place to ask this. I‘m mostly vegetarian but not vegan and it is very frustrating to look at the plant based menu items. Mostly they are impossible burgers, but not enough tofu items. Anyhow, they all seem to have vegan cheese and I love dairy! Is it possible to ask for my vegetable based burger with “real” cheese?
TIA
I'm not sure but it would make sense that in many cases they could. I often get vegan cheese on my burger or pizza with meat. It just depends on the prep. as the other poster mentioned sometimes they're premade.

I don't know about at TS places, but at the CS places I've asked at, unfortunately they say they can't substitute "regular" cheese, because the vegan sandwiches are prepackaged. I simply dislike vegan cheese, but love regular cheese.
It’s so weird. Before there were plant-based items added to menus, I felt like I had more choices! I guess I will figure out what will work for me. Sometimes I get 2 appetizers or sides and make that my dinner. I really love cheese :)

It’s so weird. Before there were plant-based items added to menus, I felt like I had more choices! I guess I will figure out what will work for me. Sometimes I get 2 appetizers or sides and make that my dinner. I really love cheese :)
There are lots of vegetarian and vegan items at WDW. You just have to know where to look for them. Some of these things aren't even on the menu. For example, you can get spaghetti (or whatever pasta) with marinara sauce at Mama Melrose. Not on the menu. And you can get Parmesan with that (one of the few things that, as a vegan, I miss--so I get where you're coming from!).

The wok-fried string beans at Y&Y are vegetarian. Delish. (Hey, I think I miss them too!)

Check out Vegan Disney World and you'll see many items that you hadn't even considered. Also, just plain vegetarian items aren't listed as such on most menus. I'm sure you'll find lots to eat. I mean, I do, and I'm a vegan and I wouldn't eat a Beyond or Impossible burger unless it was that or starve to death in the Apocalypse!

There are lots of vegetarian and vegan items at WDW. You just have to know where to look for them. Some of these things aren't even on the menu. For example, you can get spaghetti (or whatever pasta) with marinara sauce at Mama Melrose. Not on the menu. And you can get Parmesan with that (one of the few things that, as a vegan, I miss--so I get where you're coming from!).

The wok-fried string beans at Y&Y are vegetarian. Delish. (Hey, I think I miss them too!)

Check out Vegan Disney World and you'll see many items that you hadn't even considered. Also, just plain vegetarian items aren't listed as such on most menus. I'm sure you'll find lots to eat. I mean, I do, and I'm a vegan and I wouldn't eat a Beyond or Impossible burger unless it was that or starve to death in the Apocalypse!
Thanks for your very helpful answer! I’ve been researching menus and I was starting to get discouraged by many of the QS offerings. It seems like pulled pork is on everything!
I’m also type 2 diabetic, so I can’t indulge in too much pasta or rice, so that adds to the challenge.
I love your screen name and photo, btw! My daughter and I loved the Miffy series!

Thanks for your very helpful answer! I’ve been researching menus and I was starting to get discouraged by many of the QS offerings. It seems like pulled pork is on everything!
I’m also type 2 diabetic, so I can’t indulge in too much pasta or rice, so that adds to the challenge.
I love your screen name and photo, btw! My daughter and I loved the Miffy series!
I'm a big Miffy fan. The books are wonderful and I love the illustrations.

QS can be difficult. Do some research, look at menus. There's really nothing that's off-menu at QS locations, unlike TS restaurants. However, I've done WDW with all kinds of dietary restrictions and it's worked out. Something else to consider is bringing breakfast food with you. That way you have one meal that you can depend on, although I have to say that most (not all) of the WDW resorts have oatmeal for breakfast, and it's just plain oatmeal with nothing added.

TIA
via mobile order which is strongly encouraged no you can’t modify to remove/replace Vegan cheese however I was able to modify walking up to the AS Music food court in April and DLuxe September of this year
I feel ever since they switched from vegetarian to plant based (vegan) in their offerings and especially since the pandemic things have been pretty standard in most QS (impossible burger. vegan cheese and/or aoli, jackfruit and/or some form of avocado)

sooooo.... I just found this thread- I'm vegan and gluten free (another layer) and don't ingest certain oils (except, olive,avocado,flax etc) and added sugar (except stevia or a bit of honey) I realize at restaurants I don't have much control over the types of oil so I will relax that....but I've been taking lots of notes about possible options when I visit WDW, thanks for all the ideas! I know I can go to Erin Mckennas bakery to find some treats (I'll relax a little on some sugars while there) any other thoughts for places to eat? I've never even tasted a 'fake' meat item, I may try something on the trip however.....I'm thinking I can get salads everywhere at the very least.

Last edited:
sooooo.... I just found this thread- I'm vegan and gluten free (another layer) and don't ingest certain oils (except, olive,avocado,flax etc) and added sugar (except stevia or a bit of honey) I realize at restaurants I don't have much control over the types of oil so I will relax that....but I've been taking lots of notes about possible options when I visit WDW, thanks for all the ideas! I know I can go to Erin Mckennas bakery to find some treats (I'll relax a little on some sugars while there) any other thoughts for places to eat? I've never even tasted a 'fake' meat item, I may try something on the trip however.....I'm thinking I can get salads everywhere at the very least.
I don't like the fake meat--it seems too much like meat to me--so I can't help you there. But I will tell you a few of my favorites (I'm vegan, btw):

DAK:
Yak & Yeti: They will accommodate you. I've had steamed vegetables and jasmine rice there, and it's definitely not on the menu. If you'd like something more "interesting," they make the sweet & sour with tofu, not chicken. Ask to speak to the executive chef/allergy chef (I forget what they're called now) and they will tell you everything they can make vegan that's on the menu--or off the menu.

Pizzafari: Greens and Grains salad. Delish. Although I'm not sure of all the ingredients vis-a-vis your preferences.

BTW, every restaurant at WDW has an ingredients list. You just have to ask. At a CS that is sometimes not super easy, but it can be done.

MK:
Tony's Town Square: vegan spaghetti and "meat"balls. They also have a killer salad here, which, I'm sorry to tell you, is not the case at many other restaurants at WDW. I wouldn't be depending on salads to tide you over. This is a post-pandemic problem, I'm sorry to say.

Skipper Canteen: several choices of steamed veggies / falafel / and something else. Sorry, I don't have the time at the moment to look things up. I'm busy packing!

Epcot:
Rose & Crown (dinner only--unless things change): vegan "fish" and chips. Delish. There's also at least one other vegan dish.

Nine Dragons: spring rolls (at the sit-down restaurant only) and there's a veggie entree that's quite good.

Katsura Grill: veggie sushi rolls

DHS:
Woody's Lunchbox: vegan grilled "cheese" sandwich with potato barrels / also vegan totchos

Mama Melrose: this is NOT on the menu, but they will make you a vegan spaghetti marinara (make sure to remind them or they'll throw Parmesan on top of it) and they usually have Tofutti for dessert. Their bread is also usually vegan, but ask. It comes with olive oiil.

I cannot guarantee you that all of these things--or really any other thing--at WDW will meet your requirements. There's sugar and salt in nearly every dish, I'm pretty sure. Especially salt.

And, for the record: both the regular popcorn they sell at the carts and the soft Mickey pretzels are vegan (of course, w/o the cheese).

It's pretty easy to be vegan at WDW. Just read some menus and at the TS restaurants, don't be afraid to ask. BTW, most resorts' QS restaurants will make you vegan Mickey waffles for breakfast, but it's rarely on the menu. You have to ask. And also wait. Nearly every resort has steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast and soy milk you can get on the side.

Have a great trip!

My son is vegetarian & loves the chili crispy tofu bowl at Satuli Canteen at Animal Kingdom. Another favorite is the plant based kefta & hummus platter at Docking Bay 7 ar Galaxy's Edge at HS. He enjoyed the Falls Family Falafal at Skipper Canteen (this just an appetizer).

Breedlove from Allears, who is vegan, raves about the Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwich at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot.

I’m pretty sure impossible which is the brand they use isn’t GF but I could be wrong …. I would definitely look into sit down restaurants if your budget allows as th
Breedlove from Allears, who is vegan, raves about the Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwich at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot.
I’d 100% recommend scrolling through to watch any of the restaurant reviews he’s a part of

I’m pretty sure impossible which is the brand they use isn’t GF but I could be wrong …. I would definitely look into sit down restaurants if your budget allows as th

I’d 100% recommend scrolling through to watch any of the restaurant reviews he’s a part of
impossible is gluten free.

I have dined at a few places the past few weeks and thought I would review.

Docking Bay 7- the adult meal is as good as ever. The youngling meal (vegan if you skip the ranch) has sadly been diminished. There was hardly any edible dirt and barely any hummus. The dirt is now brown instead of black so also a recipe change.

Oga’s- currently the Jabba Juice and Fuzzy Tauntaun are vegan. The buzzfoam has changed since opening- still the same effect but looks less impressive. I’m sure other things are vegan too but that’s all I was interested in.

Sci-Fi- tried the pasta. Usually I don’t like ordering pasta as its so easy to make, but this dish has a larger variety of fresh veggies than I would ever prepare at once. It was filling. Strangely it didn’t come with any sauce other than a pesto drizzle which I barely tasted. I requested garlic cloves be added when ordering and that was no problem.

Rose & Crown- first time ever dining there. We were seated next to the bar, which was too loud and we couldn’t see nor barely hear the piano player. I ordered the hot pot and it was disappointing. The potatoes on top were plain and not salted, nor did I taste any butter. Underneath it was nearly all “beef” with a sprinkling of veggies. I thought it would be much more vegetable centric and lighter than it was. I didn’t like the atmosphere (though being seated in viewnif the piano away from the bar is probably fine) or the food.

Storybook Dining at Artist Point- wonderful atmosphere and character interactions. The food was mostly very boring and plain, so much so I actually contacted Disney about it, which I have never done for food. For the price they need to do much better and it was very disappointing to see everyone elses fancy food and my sad plain food. Appetizers were a clear plain mushroom broth, diced cucumbers with some sort of dressing I barely tasted, and a seemingly homemade dry, salty meatball with some sprinkling of a white thing (pickled onion?) on top that had no taste. The entrees is advertised as chik’n on cauliflower puree with roasted vegetables and vegetable jus. I don’t like cauliflower so asked to skip the puree and was offered carrots and/or broccoli. My plate consisted of two chik’n cutlets and about seven small roasted carrots. I inquired with a waiter and was told the roasted vegetables is actually just cauliflower which is why I got only a few carrots. She did obtain some sort of vegan sauce for me that was green and thick when I inquired about the lack of vegetable jus. Even if I had kept the meal standard it would have been just the cutlets with cauliflower puree and some roasted cauliflower. Very unimpressive. It looked boring and was very plain to have just three flavors on my plate. For comparison, go to https://www.disneytouristblog.com/artist-point-storybook-character-dining-review/ and look at their photos. All the other entrees are artfully arranged and comsist of multiple flavors, and the appetizers are also fancy. The food at DB7 and Sci-Fi is presented much better and has much more going on.

The desserts were the only good thing, though even here I ran into trouble. I inquired if the vegan desserts cane with anything chocolate as if so I wanted to double somoand skip the chocolate as I don’t like eating non direct trade/fair trade etc cocoa. She said no chocolate, it’s special vegan desserts (like vegans don’t eat chocolate?) Sure enough when the desserts came, one was a chocolate “apple.” It was good but I didn’t enjoy the fact I contributed to child slavery. The other desserts were a chia pineapple pudding and a warm gooseberry pie-type thing with loose crumble on top with whole gooseberries. Interestingly the non-vegan version came with gooseberry filling without whole gooseberries and a dry shell, so the vegan one is actually a step up. But I so not recommend this place at all for vegans unless you are dead set on meeting the Evil Queen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter