Vegas/Grand Canyon trip

We visited the Grand Canyon last summer. We planned the trip last minute so we did not even try for accommodations in the park. We drove in from Vegas as a day trip. A lot of driving but the breathtaking views of the GC made it worth it. This was something I have always wanted to do and it did not disappoint. We parked at the visitor center on the South Rim and walked along the Rim Trail, stopped in the lobby of El Tovar for a break and then walked on to the Hermits Rest bus stop. This is where we had the only bad experience of the trip. I have severe osteoarthritis in my knees and went through a series of Euflexxa injections before the trip to make walking any distance possible. I was so proud of the distance I walked before the pain set in. Our plan was to ride the Hermits Rest bus to the end and enjoy the views as we rode. I was in too much pain to want to get on and off the bus at each stop. The bus driver was insufferable the entire ride. She verbally harassed us the whole way about not getting off the bus at each stop. Unending chatter about how we were missing the point, she wanted the seats used by more deserving passengers. At one point three people got on the bus who had hiked down into the canyon and were riding back and the driver was particularly ugly about how they deserved my seat. I was almost in tears just thinking how much I would love to be able to hike like those people “deserving” of seats. It is a shame people like that bus driver are allowed to be in contact with the public.

We’ve been to Vegas many times so don’t need tips there.

We’re thinking though that this trip (next summer) we should actually finally venture out of the city.

So...where to stay at the Grand Canyon?

Welcome all tips.

I would encourage you to stay in one of the four hotels right on the rim. We have stayed outside of the park and inside and for us there is no comparison! The summer months are VERY busy with day visitors, once they all leave, it is so peaceful in the evening and morning. We stayed in the Kachina in August 2016. I made the reservation at the end of January of that year and had quite a few choices. I choose the Kachina and even got a canyon view room. The rooms are nothing special, but being in the park is worth every penny you spend on lodging.

I would make a reservation now and if your plans change it is easy enough to cancel.

We have visited many, many National Parks. When we began our trips, we always stayed outside of the park. Our kids were young and we wanted places with a pool. Now, we only stay in the parks. In my experience it is MUCH easier to get a place at the Grand Canyon than many other National Parks! We are gearing up for another big trip this summer. Last August, a year in advance, I could not get two nights at the Crater Lake NP Lodge and I could not get a room with the lake view. I did get one night and it was one of the few spots open for the entire month. The Yellowstone Lodge is also really tough to get as well as the Lake McDonald Lodge in Glacier NP. The Grand Canyon is not nearly as hard and you don't need to reserve a year in advance, more like 6-months.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I too recommend staying inside the park if you can get reservations. Any of the South Rim Village hotels are within walking distance to the rim of the canyon. Yavapai Lodge is also within the park. If you have to stay outside the park, Tusayan is the best option. We've stayed at both The Grand Hotel and The Holiday Inn Express. The Grand Hotel is much nicer than the Holiday Inn Express. To reserve inside the park or The Grand Hotel, you need to make reservations through xanterra.com Be aware that some of the rooms in the park are not air conditioned, so pay close attention when booking.

To reserve inside the park or The Grand Hotel, you need to make reservations through xanterra.com Be aware that some of the rooms in the park are not air conditioned, so pay close attention when booking.

It's specifically these websites:

Xanterra's GC website:
http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/

Delaware North now operates Yavapai Lodge:
https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/yavapai-lodge

I've heard of people who mistakenly booked through third party websites that made it seem like they were official. None of them really add any value. The ones I've seen just add a 10% surcharge and might even have tougher cancellation terms, like longer cancellation requirements and penalties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter